Sudden microphone woes...

G

Hey everyone,

So today my microphone suddenly stopped working entirely. I have no idea what the problem is, but have been trying to figure it out for over two hours. I am completely lost on what it could be and I really can't think of anything else beyond a full reformat. Hopefully someone has some idea. :(

Checked microphone on different computer, it worked.

Uninstalled/reinstalled and updated sound card (ASUS Xonar DX) drivers.

Uninstalled sound card entirely and plugged headset directly into mobo.

Uninstalled/reinstalled and updated mobo sound drivers.

Tried front panel audio with both mobo and sound card.

Checked all settings in every respectable driver program AND all windows settings. (In the windows sound device, no bars light up when you talk)

Uninstalled driver and allowed windows to set it up.

Mute button is not on.

System restored to a week ago.

Like I said, I have no idea what else I can do beyond a full reformat. Is there a way to check if it's a hardware issue? I didn't think it could be as I tried both with and without the Xonar DX.

Specs:

Microphone: Sennheiser PC350

Intel i5 OC'd to 3.4ghz
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P mobo
Asus Radeon 5850
8gb GSkill DDR3 1600 RAM
Samsung 500gb 7200 RPM HDD
Asus Xonar DX Sound Card
Antec 650 watt PSU
Antec 300 Illusion Case

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I hate sound and mic issues only because you have to have everything checked just right. I assume this is Win 7?
Do you show 2 sound devices in Device Manager?
Do you show 2 or more devices under sound properties?
Do either of these things show a volume level and does that do anything?

Are you listening to sounds under media player? Try something else like VLC

good luck

G

Thank you for the response :)

It is Windows 7.

In device manger, under "Sound, video and game controllers" this is what's listed:
AMD High Definition Audio Device
ASUS Xonar DX Audio Device
Avnex Virtual Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio

As for sound properties, which do you mean by that? The sound file in control panel? If so there are multiple devices listed under both playback and recording. Here is a snipit:

aaaiq.png

They have a volume bar, but increasing or decreasing does nothing.

I have listened to sounds under the window's manager, skype, mumble, and ventrillo. Nothing on any program. Even tried messing with each program's individual settings.

Thank you for the help again

G

Thank you.

I know, it's very strange. I thought I for sure fried my sound card or something, but then it didn't work with onboard so...

It is a Sennheiser PC350 headset. The output (the speakers on the headset) work perfectly fine. The input (the microphone) doesn't register any sound.

It is a Sennheiser PC350 headset. The output (the speakers on the headset) work perfectly fine. The input (the microphone) doesn't register any sound.

Just checking.

I assume an input device is selected from within the control panel? [Dumb question, I know, but I have to ask :p].

I really can't think of anything obvious. It doesn't work on two devices in the same PC, but it works on another PC, so its probably not hardware. But I don't see anything you did wrong when testing out the software side. I guess you could try testing within windows, using the built-in microphone setup built into the OS, but aside from that, I'm at a loss...

G

Yeah, an input device is checked :p

Is the built-in microphone setup the "Set up microphone" option in the speech recognition folder? If so, I can't even get past the stage where you're supposed to talk into the microphone, lol.

Ugh, this sucks.

And it works in another computer, and you tried both onboard and the soundcard?

I'm out of ideas. The only thing I can think of is it might be related to something else thats installed. For one, I have no clue what that listed "Avnes Virtual Audio Device" is...

And stupid question: You are 100% sure the mic is not muted? [I know I know, but it has to be asked...]

G

I have a feeling the majority of microphone issues end up this way:

I am the biggest idiot of all time. I guess at least it wasn't muted.

The microphone on the headset IS the problem. I double checked again today on a different computer (to make sure I wasn't just hearing things yesterday, lol) and I was able to talk. But what I completely forgot was the other computer had a built in microphone (I've never used it) and it was picking up the noise from that. I thought it was the input from the headset yesterday and it made me completely exclude the headset being the issue.

I took the entire headset apart thinking that there was a loose wire somewhere to no avail. Eventually looking over the headset cords, I have found the problem. There is a dial about midway down the cord that allows you to raise/lower the volume and mute the microphone. There has to be a loose connection in this dial somewhere as I can crink/push on the bottom part of the wire connecting to the dial and I'm able to hear myself talk through the windows microphone setup (albeit extreme feedback). I'm not great with wiring and what not and I'm not entirely sure how to get this "dial" open. I never actually even use it. Could I simply take a pair of scissors and cut below and above the dial and then connect the wires back together? Or should I somehow snap the dial open and see what's going on there?

It's a pretty expensive headset but unfortunately it's out of warranty by a few months so it looks like this will be a DIY.