Sign in with
Your question
Solved

NTLDR is Missing. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart...

Last response: in Systems
May 13, 2011 4:20:15 AM

This is the latest of the error messages I've been getting at my new Win7 installation's POST.

Previously, I installed Win7 on a new drive, but was forced to boot into Win7 with the old XP system drive still connected otherwise I got a 'Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk' error.

I got rid of that one, then got the error 'BootMgr is missing. Press ctrl+alt+del...'
Got rid of that one, now I have the error 'NTLDR is missing. Press ctrl+alt+del...'

What is NTLDR? How do I fix this and get my machine to boot without having to retain the old system disk?
Basically, my Win7 OS is all on the new drive, as are all my files. This is a real pain in the ass.
Oh, and see anther of my posts for more info on the problem

Any help would much appreciated!
May 13, 2011 4:29:58 AM

ntldr is the bootloader for windows xp

bootmgr is bootloader for windows 7

whats happen is basically that windows 7 got added to widows xp boot and neither are comaptible hence u probalty going to have reinstall
m
l

Best solution

May 13, 2011 4:39:13 AM

Theres a way to make it work without reinstalling:

http://webtrickz.com/how-to-install-windows-xp-over-win...

Also, before you go to the trouble doing this, be sure you have your 1st boot drive set to the correct drive. If both OS are installed on the same drive, you will need to follow the instructions in the link above...
Related resources
May 13, 2011 2:27:55 PM

Best answer selected by dorker.
m
l
May 13, 2011 2:29:00 PM

englandr753 said:
Theres a way to make it work without reinstalling:

http://webtrickz.com/how-to-install-windows-xp-over-win...

Also, before you go to the trouble doing this, be sure you have your 1st boot drive set to the correct drive. If both OS are installed on the same drive, you will need to follow the instructions in the link above...

Wow, EasyBCD did the trick.

Thank you sir, for saving me from having to install this turkey of an OS all over again!
m
l
May 13, 2011 3:39:43 PM

No problemo. Thank you kind sir for the vote. =D

Glad you got it fixed, easily...
m
l
!