Will my old Enermax EG701AX-VE(W) (600watts) be ok for my new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediahubwilko

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hi, everyone.

So I bought an Alienware system almost 5 years ago and I'm only now getting around to gutting the internals and re-using the case to upgrade the entire system.

I've just bought:

Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard,
8gb of Kingston HyperX T1 memory,
Seagate ST2000DL003 Barracuda Green 3.5-inch 2TB SATA 6 Gb/s
plus a new DVD writer.

I'm planning on getting a Core i5-2400 in the next few days also. However, I'm not yet getting a graphics card as I just need to get the system up and running at first. I'll probably get a single Radeon HD 6870 or equivalent in a month or so. I've no plans to utilise a Crossfire configuration.

My question is this: the PSU in the old system currently only has a 4-pin CPU connector yet the motherboard has an 8-pin CPU connector. I've read on here and elsewhere that, depending on the configuration of the PSU (I've read the specs of the PSU but I'm still none the wiser!) and the wattage rating of the CPU and other components I may get away with using only the 4-pin or even getting a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter. Is this correct, or will I have to upgrade the PSU also? I'll also NOT be doing any overclocking, so won't be putting any unneccesary load on the system.

From what I've read about my PSU and my limited knowledge of such things, I'm still 50/50 on whether it'll be sufficient. In a few months time I may replace the PSU to make it more "future-proof", but for now I'd like to use what I have to save some money.

Thanks!

If your spending the £££ on a high end system, don't skimp and reuse an old model psu that probably isn't that efficent or have the safety mechanism in place to protected the motherboard, cpu etc if a fault occurs.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Yes, you should be fine. That PSU should work with up to a 6950. Later on look into getting a modular 80+ unit: Antec, XFX, Corsair, Enermax, Lepa (re-badged enermax, with fugly fans), or Silverstone. Although I'd highly suggest getting rid of the Kingston RAM. Pick up: G.Skill, Geil, Corsair, or Mushkin.

mediahubwilko

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Thanks for the prompt replies, guys. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately I've already ordered the RAM, based on a review on this site funnily enough! I'll keep those other vendors in mind, though, should I do any further upgrading 6 months-1 year from now.

As for the PSU, I think I'll see how I get on using it without a discrete GPU in the system. That way I can at least get it up and running using the integrated graphics on the motherboard/cpu combo and then decide at a later date if I need to replace the PSU when I eventually DO get a graphics card.

Again, many thanks.

maxxell

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
How did it go? I'm thinking of doing something similar and have the exact same PSU.

Do you think this PSU could handle the new third-generation i7 CPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.