martinduque86

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hello all :)

I'm thinking of building my own custom made PC for the first time,
and I'd like to know what are the chances of getting a defective / faulty / not working
piece I order from a retailer, let's say, newegg.

1 on every 10? 1 on every hundred?

I need to know because of geographic reasons I can't really send back a faulty piece,
so if I do get one... we'll, I'd just have to order another one and pay for it. :(

Thanks in advance.

Solution

I've had to return my Asus P8P67 Deluxe twice, and my Corsair TX850 once. These are not cheap components, the Corsair would have cost $150 to replace and the motherboard about $240. These things happen, it's just part of building your own PC. Why are you unable to return parts if needed? Personally if I were in your position I would consider buying a pre-built PC instead. Something such as iBuypower or something similar, (never used them myself, but I hear they are okay)

If you can, buy the case in a brick & mortar store. Nothing is more frustrating to have a case come slightly bent!

nate1554

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
i havent had a problem with the last 3 systems i built and my friend has built 2 systems and not one issue.

We tend to stick with ASUS motherboards since those always seem to boot up perfect right after hooking everything up.

Where years ago we had issues with other brand boards

Choose quality parts and your chance of problems goes down. Ship those parts a long ways and your chances go back up ;)

I just got in a very cheap Thermaltake case I ordered from newegg, for a toss-together build from old parts. The box was fine but the case had a dent, so it must have shipped that way from the factory. The dent was not a deal-breaker this time, but it is the worst I have had in all these years. Every other part I've ever ordered has been fine.

G

It depends on the component, see the rating, some are almost never defective, some are. Hard drives rarely have 5 eggs average because they, regardless of quality will always have a defective rate. So as you can see it depends.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE THAT, JUST BUILD IT!

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

I've had to return my Asus P8P67 Deluxe twice, and my Corsair TX850 once. These are not cheap components, the Corsair would have cost $150 to replace and the motherboard about $240. These things happen, it's just part of building your own PC. Why are you unable to return parts if needed? Personally if I were in your position I would consider buying a pre-built PC instead. Something such as iBuypower or something similar, (never used them myself, but I hear they are okay)

If you can, buy the case in a brick & mortar store. Nothing is more frustrating to have a case come slightly bent!

Solution