• New Build
  • Cooler Master
  • Cases
  • Rebuild
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 13, 2011 9:35:33 AM

Ok guys Im looking for some case and Fan Advice on a Rebuild that Im working on right now for my PC

Right Now Im Running a
Evga x58 Classified 3x SLI board
COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series 800W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92
Coolermaster V8 Heatsink

What I am buying to upgrade:
2x PowerColor PCS+ AX6970 2GBD5-PP2DHG Radeon HD 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 120gb
Gskill Sniper SSD
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800).

So my question is will my case have the proper cooling to have all these parts running and posibally over clock my processor. How many fans will i Need and what kind should I get if I do keep the case? (Also on that case I was woundering if anyone knew what fan or Fans go in the Video Card Rack)

Now If I change the case What chase to go and how many fans should i get for that one ?

As well a little off topic what do people think of those 6970s ? and Powercolor as a brand?

Thanks for all the help in advanced.

More about : cooling questions rebuild

Best solution

May 13, 2011 3:03:47 PM

Here are my thoughts:

1) The case is fine. Change it out only if you do not like it from an aesthetics point of view.

2) For good airflow, you need fans for either the intake or outflow, not both. I would put fans in the rear and top. At 1200rpm, you will be quiet with relatively good cooling. If noise is not an issue, then go 1500rpm to perhaps 2000rpm.

3) If you want to change your case, look at the Antec 1200, or the Antec DF-85. For the absolute best cooling gaming case, try to find a lian li PC-X1000.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4) XFX is supposed to have the best support for amd graphics cards. I am not a fan of the cooling on the 6970. It does a good job of getting heat off of the gpu die, but it compounds your case and cpu cooling issues by dumping that heat back into the case. I think I would go with GTX570 instead. Performance and price is similar, but the direct exhaust cooler gets the heat out of the case quicker. That helps both the cpu and the gpu temperatures. For $10, evga will sell you a high airflow bracket to help with exhaust cooling a bit . Here is a direct exhaust EVGA GTX570:

5) X58 wants triple sticks for ram to maintain triple channel operation. Look for a 3 x 2gb kit, or a 3 x 4gb kit.
Also, X58 is insensitive to ram speeds. The difference in fps or real application performance is on the order of 2% between the fastest and slowest ram. Synthetic benchmarks will look wonderful, but are irrelevant to most of us who are not record seeking overclockers. Do not spend much extra for faster speeds, better timings, or fancy heat sinks.
Here is a 12gb kit for $135:

6) I would go with Intel for the SSD. They have had a lower return rate in the past:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/810-6/components-ret...
Do not be seduced by wonderful synthetic sequential benchmarks. That is not what we do. The os does mostly small random reads and writes. It does it at lowish queue rates. Look for an Intel 320 g3 series drive in the capacity you need. You will not be able to tell the difference in actual usage over the 510. I know, as an early adopter, I got the 510, after I gave my son my X25-M 160gb drive, and I really can not tell the difference.
May 15, 2011 5:38:25 AM

thanks for the help now im in the delima of trying to Figure out what card to get. I cant figure out what Cards to get. I have looked at ram and found a kit that im gonna order. as well looked at different SSDS and am still toying around with them. my biggest issue is not knowing anything about nVidia cards.

Ive been looking at the Evga gtx570 superclocked cards as well as the other ones. they all look about the same even in all the benchmarks I look at. I question the 570 because it only has something like 1.7gb of DDR 5 where the 6970 has 2gb DDR5.

Ive been spending the last few days looking at the differences and reading reviews and right now it looks like mainly its personal prefrence. (can anyone dispute that?)

I guess in the grand Scheme of things im just looking for a smoking gun or something to put my mind at rest at what card I should go with.

Also as a last note I remember that people used to put a physics card in when they ran nVidida is that still used ?
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2011 5:48:27 PM

Do not anguish over details of similarly priced graphics cards, or benchmark scores. At a given price point, you will get fair value from any card. If you primarily play only one game, then get the card that benchmarks best for that game and your resolution.

m
l
May 16, 2011 2:44:47 AM

Im just looking for a good set of cards for Battlefield 3, Eve online (dosent take much), The new Starwars MMO (whenever it comes out) And D3. I was planning on running one 22inc Monitor for most of the games where if the games allow more the one monitor (Eve) Ill be running the 2 others for basic stuff.

Really i guess im looking for a set of cards to work on all the new games for 2 montiors or less
m
l
May 26, 2011 11:50:47 AM

Best answer selected by wiskibubbles.
m
l