Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
This is the story, I'll make it short.

I took all my components out of my case. I hooked them up to a new PSU. I turned the motherboard on by placing a screwdriver between the two POWER RW pins.

Only one problem - the CPU doesn't work anymore. I tried two different CPU's, both work on other builds. I tried two different power supplies.

I think my motherboard (680i SLi A1) has finally had it. Although everything else seems to work fine, the CPU is not getting any power, and I've checked many times over that all the power connectors are installed correctly. This is, of course, not my first build.

I took the heatsink off, and nothing happen. It just idles there as if the CPU power connectors are not placed into their socket. But they are. The motherboard has two power indicators, in the shape of two numbers. Usually, they flash different digits, most likely indicating the CPU temperature. But now, they are stuck on "--".

Now, I wouldn't care, as I've had many components die on me for no reason, but first off, this was working just last night, perfectly fine and I handled it with caution today. And secondly, I have 4 TB of RAID-0 data which requires that stupid motherboard in order to exist. If I lose all that data, I might as well just shoot myself. I hear you can buy another nVidia motherboard and just transfer a RAID-0 array to it, such as a 750i SLi motherboard. Is this true.. and, is my motherboard dead?

Thank You!

Don't bet on it. I had a mobile 754 die on me as the desktop board was giving it too much voltage, and the heatsink wasn't making good contact. I confirmed by taking the cpu to a shop that sold used boards, and the cpu wouldn't work on any of them.

letus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I had a 680i motherboard and i was getting a -- error. I had a stick of ram go bad and prevented it from posting. Try taking out all but one stick out. If it still doesn't work then use your next stick of ram. Hope that helps.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

I'm not using any sticks of RAM. The CPU won't even get warm. I can take the cooler off and nothing will happen to it.

Looks like you need a new board. Yeah, that's why I believe in redundancy. Don't keep all you're important stuff on one machine. Anyway your motherboard is dead so you need a new one.

I would think that you should be able to use that raid array on any board that supports raid, or at least on a compatible raid controller, but nVidia boards are quirky that way ^_^ especially if you use the soft RAID.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

I'm pretty sure it won't work on anything besides an nVidia RAID controller.
Only question is - which one? Rather, how cheap can I go? I need something that supports Wolfdale.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I hate to be the one to say it - but a total rebuild, around a RAID-0 array, with no backup? Ouch.

Anyway, to be a little more productive - whan you say you're not using any RAM - is that at all, or since you started trouble shooting - might be worth doing what the above poster said and trying one stick at a time.....

Unless you had some upgrades in place, I would reccomend trying to find the same model board as the one you had or at the the very least spend some time and find one with the same chipset and integrated audio etc - if you get a new model board - you might find you can use the RAID array but not boot into windows.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

Good points.

Yes, what I was doing was risky, but I like living on the edge. Who would have thought that during the rebuild the area linking the CPU and the CPU connector on the motherboard, would get damaged to such an extent.

I mean that I tried what he said, just now, and it didn't work. Seriously, the computer simply doesn't do a thing. Without the CPU, there is no need to place RAM, because nothing will happen with it.

I can't afford and really don't want to buy another 680i board. I've had nothing but trouble with this chipset. I just need to know what else I can buy. Can I go as down as 610i? I also need it to support Wolfdale..

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

The problem i'm anticipating if you change chipsets is that windows may not boot as the drivers for the new chipset (and integrated peripherals) may be substabtially different from the ones installed.

apart from that im not sure theres too much more i can help you with apart from maybe trying the system back in its original configuration (did you say you changed the PSU? if so that could be DOA.)

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

Didn't you still have the same picture a couple of years ago?
Hello, Mr. Monkey! It's so nice to see more veterans here.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

I'm going to re-install Windows. Not a problem.

And yes, I tried 3 different PSU's.

My point was that you should check the cpu first before assuming the board is bad. Some shops may let you test it for free if you show some interest in their boards, and some only sell used stuff, so they don't mind you trying some out.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

Ah, yes. Well, I don't need a shop. I have one at home pretty much :D
Tested it with two CPU's. Now I put it in another board and it works like a charm.

:) yes I did mate, some corners of the interweb are loathe to change. It does appear that you have a dead 680i board there, which one is it? one of the cheaper ones or was a damn expensive one?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

Damn expensive! eVGA 680i SLi A1. It's been crapping out on me even since I stuck a Quad in it, 3 years ago.