Strange sound problem with the P8Z68-V

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Speakers
  • Sandy Bridge
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
April 26, 2012 6:29:00 AM

I just did a refresh of my system with this motherboard and an Intel 2500k Sandybridge and I'm having a strange problem with my sound. For some reason the right speaker is quieter than the left. I hooked the speakers to an MP3 player and it checked out normal. I hooked up headphones to the rear connections, and that also seemed to check out.

Thing is, when I get another set of computer speakers from my wife's computer, and it behaves the same way, with the right speaker being very quiet. Now, both sets of speakers are over a decade old, so I don't know if there is something different with recent sound standards, tho I wouldn't think so. Drivers are the latest from Asus' web site. I'm really out of ideas as to what the problem is.

More about : strange sound problem p8z68

May 9, 2012 12:04:01 PM

Hi! I have a same problem with sound on the P8Z68-V! I have tested it on few versions of realtek drivers, and even on Linux, but it sounds a same way, so I think it is a hardware problem :(  .
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2012 12:21:45 PM

[ Take backup of BIOS before upgrade ]
m
l
May 16, 2012 2:10:23 PM

r0b2n said:
Hi! I have a same problem with sound on the P8Z68-V! I have tested it on few versions of realtek drivers, and even on Linux, but it sounds a same way, so I think it is a hardware problem :(  .

I recently resolved this problem on my system. Found out the speakers were the problem. I bought a set of Klipsch 2.1 speakers and the problem went away. Funny enough, I connected the old speakers to my wife's computer, and they work fine. There seems to be a difference in the load that the sound chip puts on the speaker that it didn't like for some reason.
m
l
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2012 5:28:57 PM

the plug on your speaker may not be making a complete connection in the port. (hence the right speaker is quieter but left is fine) go google the difference between a mono and stereo plug and and how it inserts into a output; you'll see what i mean.

push/pull the plug out of the port several times to help it make a good connection.

i cannot tell you how many times mixing live audio that is what solved the problem.
m
l
May 17, 2012 8:24:19 AM

THE UNKNOWN, thanks bios is up-to-date. This is first what I did.

looniam, thanks, I will check connection carefully, btw I tested it in realtek manager (where you can click on left/right/front/rear speaker and it rings) and there is all ok with channels, left/right separated. But it seems to bad contact, or bad capacitors, because right speaker sounds without high freq.

And one thing was wondering for me, even on rear connector(black) it has the same problem...
m
l
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2012 8:32:28 AM

oh? it may not be the jack but the plug or the cable for the speakers.

maybe wiggle the cable starting at the plug and work your way towards the speakers to see if there is a break in the copper wire. if you hear any pop, crackling or difference . . that is the cause.

now isn't this fun? :lol: 
m
l
May 17, 2012 8:38:26 AM

looniam, It is not a cable, I have tested it with 2 headphones. The same in both.
m
l
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2012 8:40:20 AM

ok. good job. i'm clueless ATM.

btw, isn't the black port for the sub woofer and wouldn't have the high freq?
m
l
May 17, 2012 8:48:16 AM

looniam, no, green, black, and gray are front/side/rear speakers, orange is woofer/front :) 
m
l
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2012 9:01:44 AM

thanks. i only use the L/R - green.
m
l
!