Success And Skepticism: The DS

Last response: in Video Games
June 18, 2004 10:36:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200406/N04.0618....

While Nintendo touted their "revolution" at E3, they also touched on
"innovation." This mainly came in the form of their highly ambitious
dual-screened DS portable system. But, for all the good change can
bring, it can also end up backfiring on you when you least expect it.
The GI editors got together and wracked their collective brains on the
pros and cons of Nintendo's little handheld and we present you with
the concluding chapter in our series.

Dual-screens, wireless gameplay, instant messaging…what's not to love?
Here's what we're all looking forward to from the DS.

Two words: two screens. Never before has a portable system, or
non-portable system, ever utilized the use of two screens for gaming.
It's a truly innovative idea and one Nintendo is really banking on to
draw gamers in with.
Wireless capability is the name of the game for the future of portable
gaming, and Nintendo is hoping to cash in on the idea with their own
proprietary Bluetooth-like wireless technology as well as an as yet
unnamed wider area wireless system.
No system can live without good games, and Nintendo seems to have a
nice cache of games lined up for the DS. While not much has been
outright confirmed, WarioWare and Mario 64x4 definitely got everyone
at E3 excited.
Chat functionality. Being able to walk down to your local park and
start chatting away with a friend via your DS sounds like a cool idea.
Awhile ago, Nintendo announced a special deal with AOL, stating that
if the company did go online with their games, they would do so with
that internet giant. Perhaps we'll see an AOL-branded instant
messaging feature for the DS?
Graphics processing is more and more important in games nowadays, and
the DS is shaping up not to disappoint. The unit will be able to
handle some pretty complex 3D graphics, taking the world of portable
gaming out of the restrictions of the 2D world.
The touch screen. No other system has tried to use a touch screen for
portable gaming (at least no mainstream portable system) and Nintendo
is hoping to create some truly innovative game titles using the
technology.
Potential innovation. The opportunity to really use the DS's two
screens lies in the hands of the game developers, and if they can
create some truly innovative titles that take full advantage of using
two screens, the DS could go down as the most revolutionary portable
ever (much to the happiness of Reggie).
GBA backwards compatibility. Being able to play your old Game Boy and
Game Boy Advance titles is a very smart move on Nintendo's part, at
once giving themselves a huge market of gamers who have brought their
previous products, as well as those looking for something new.
The headphone jack. It's sad that we have so say that this is a
positive, but the glaring omission of a headphone jack on the GBA SP
enraged many a gamer. Thankfully, Nintendo has decided to include a
jack in the DS, and will hopefully also include a pair of headphones
bundled with the unit.
Expansion possibilities. While the DS can handle Game Boy and GBA
carts, it's also been mentioned that the cartridge slots could also
accommodate other things, like a camera. Could the idea of gamers
running around, snapping pics and then wirelessly messaging them to
friends soon be a reality?

Like Newton said, "every action has an equal and opposite reaction,"
meaning that for every good quality of the DS there are potentially
drawbacks and negatives. Here's what has us worried.

The stylus. Many a gamer at E3 walked away from the DS with a sour
taste in their mouth thanks to the unit's stylus, which proved to be
innovative, but sometimes annoying. The biggest culprit was Metroid
Prime: Hunters, which featured a control scheme that used the stylus
for both strafing and shooting, a combination that ended up being far
less than intuitive. Also, currently there's no place on the unit
itself to store the stylus, which could lead to many a lost styli (if
that's a word).
Size, no matter what other people may tell you, is always an issue.
While the GBA SP was a nice palm-sized portable system, the DS is
looking to be a behemoth when compared to that pint-sized offering.
Either you're going to have to buy pants with gigantic pockets or
Nintendo will need to shrink the DS a bit.
Age demographic. Take a look at the publicity shots of the PSP and
you'll see hip, young teens and early twenty-somethings running about
town and generally acting cool with their sexy little device. Check
out publicity shots for the DS and you'll likely spot four young girls
sitting on a picnic table, having all sorts of girly fun. Nintendo has
always gotten struck in the rut of being deemed a "kiddy" system, and
desperately need to break out of that image. Unfortunately, girls on
picnic tables don't help them out too much.
Wireless support. We all know how Nintendo's approach to online gaming
turned out (or didn't) with the GameCube, which leads us to worry
about their dedication when it comes to the DS. True, instant
messaging is cool, but we were hoping to see a much more direct online
approach from Nintendo when it come to the DS, as well as games that
really make use of the feature.
Tiny buttons. Unless you're a tiny-handed freak of nature, your meaty
grip will likely cover the entirety of the face buttons on the DS.
Nintendo needs to either spread the button layout out a bit, or
increase their size. Nothing is more annoying than accidentally
pushing a wrong button, especially when it's not your fault because of
a faulty layout.
Too much emphasis on touch screen use, not enough on actual "dual
screen" use. While the touch screen feature is indeed cool, we need to
see more game titles that make use of both screens at once. And no,
we're not talking about games that use the second screen as a map or
inventory hub. We want to see games that take the "dual screen" idea
to a whole new level, and hopefully Nintendo can deliver.
No analog stick makes Game Informer Online very cranky. The PSP
features a tiny, sexy little analog stick, making the unit not only
even more sexy, but also more user-friendly when it comes to 3D
gaming. So far, the DS doesn't sport an analog stick, which has us
worried.
The GameCube track record. While it shouldn't necessarily be a
determining factor, the lackluster reception of the GameCube could
ultimately hinder what sort of games we see on the DS. While ardent
GameCube and GBA developers will likely strongly support the DS, what
about the developers who either canned GameCube development or never
supported the GBA? Will there be much reason for them to jump on board
or will they simply go with the big dog Sony and get behind their PSP?
Price could end up being a touchy subject, although Nintendo hasn't
released any official price points yet. While the original Game Boy
launched in 1986 for about $150-200, today's discerning gamers seem to
be more comfortable with a $100 handheld. Ultimately, it all comes
down to the price that Nintendo announces, but we're starting to get
the idea that it could be in the $150-200 range.
A successful launch is something that Nintendo really hasn't seen
since the days of the N64, and frankly we're a bit worried that
Nintendo can pull one off for the DS. We're mainly worried that
Nintendo may be rushing the system and its games to better compete
with the launch of the PSP. Nintendo NEEDS to have a launch line-up
with some notable games like Mario or Metroid. Gamers have gotten fed
up with waiting months and months for new titles on the GBA and
GameCube, and hopefully this trend won't translate over to the DS.

More about : success skepticism

Anonymous
June 19, 2004 11:46:23 AM

"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200406/N04.0618....
>
> Chat functionality. Being able to walk down to your local park and
> start chatting away with a friend via your DS sounds like a cool idea.

Yes, if you're a deaf/mute. Otherwise, speach/hearing is much more
efficient and versatile. But for a modern, technology-brainwashed idiot,
it's not cool.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 11:57:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200406/N04.0618....
>
><SNIP>

Are you listening to anyone? If we want to read these articles, we can go
and read them on their original websites. Posting cut-and-paste jobs, and
cross-posting them at that, is just irritating. Quit it!

/\/\arc
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 5:32:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> Are you listening to anyone? If we want to read these articles, we can go
> and read them on their original websites. Posting cut-and-paste jobs, and
> cross-posting them at that, is just irritating. Quit it!
>
> /\/\arc

Relax dude...
It doesn't irritate everyone. I, for one, like the idea that I dont have to
be jumping from website to website. I just launch my news-group brower and I
have what I need. I think R420 is doing us a favor.
It's good that you like voicing your opinion, and so do I:
For all you guys who are posting cut-and-paste jobs and cross-posting them,
keep doing what your doing cause you're doing it right.

Zul
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 6:32:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> Two words: two screens. Never before has a portable system, or
> non-portable system, ever utilized the use of two screens for gaming.

Virtual Boy
PC with dual monitors
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 6:32:33 PM

"Fry" <neilNOSP@Mjimmyeatworld.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Two words: two screens. Never before has a portable system, or
> > non-portable system, ever utilized the use of two screens for gaming.
>
> Virtual Boy
> PC with dual monitors

Don't be a dolt.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 7:07:29 PM

"/\/\arc" <marc@MYSHORTSfiremoth.co.uk> wrote in message

> "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200406/N04.0618....
> >
> ><SNIP>
>
> Are you listening to anyone? If we want to read these articles, we can go
> and read them on their original websites. Posting cut-and-paste jobs, and
> cross-posting them at that, is just irritating. Quit it!

Try your killfile. Are YOU listening?
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 2:34:59 PM

In article <51488ce2.0406181736.25993dfa@posting.google.com>,
R420 <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The headphone jack. It's sad that we have so say that this is a
> positive, but the glaring omission of a headphone jack on the GBA SP
> enraged many a gamer. Thankfully, Nintendo has decided to include a
> jack in the DS, and will hopefully also include a pair of headphones
> bundled with the unit.

I thought the SP had a headphone jack?
At least, mine does...

William

--
West Lothian, Scotland

162MB StrongArm RISC PC 20GB Harddisc RISC OS 4.37
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 3:19:01 PM

In message <kIVAc.60732$7H1.2053334@news20.bellglobal.com>
"Grackle" <nospam@lalaland.com> wrote:

> Yes, if you're a deaf/mute. Otherwise, speach/hearing is much more
> efficient and versatile. But for a modern, technology-brainwashed idiot,
> it's not cool.

I agree, that's why I can't *stand* people who send SMS when they could
quite easily come round my house.

Ironically, technology has made communication so impersonal.

Cheers,
Rob
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 3:39:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:34:59 GMT, William McNee
<wullie@hame.the.noo.invalid> wrote:

>In article <51488ce2.0406181736.25993dfa@posting.google.com>,
> R420 <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The headphone jack. It's sad that we have so say that this is a
>> positive, but the glaring omission of a headphone jack on the GBA SP
>> enraged many a gamer. Thankfully, Nintendo has decided to include a
>> jack in the DS, and will hopefully also include a pair of headphones
>> bundled with the unit.
>
>I thought the SP had a headphone jack?
>At least, mine does...

It doesn't come as standard - you have to buy an extra dongle that
goes into the power socket before you plug headphones in.
--
"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off whatever it is."
Xbox live : neil hopkins

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On the day the Earth burned
William McNee screamed:
> In article <51488ce2.0406181736.25993dfa@posting.google.com>,
> R420 <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The headphone jack. It's sad that we have so say that this is a
>> positive, but the glaring omission of a headphone jack on the GBA SP
>> enraged many a gamer. Thankfully, Nintendo has decided to include a
>> jack in the DS, and will hopefully also include a pair of headphones
>> bundled with the unit.
>
> I thought the SP had a headphone jack?
> At least, mine does...

Not quite though, as far as most were concerned it didnt. I dont see why
they should bundle headphones with it though, not likes it an integral part
of the playing experience. Fair enough, the manufacturers of personal
stereos do it, but then they're not much use without them
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 7:05:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:58:57 +0000 (UTC), "Satanica"
<satanica@NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote:

>On the day the Earth burned
> William McNee screamed:
>> In article <51488ce2.0406181736.25993dfa@posting.google.com>,
>> R420 <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> The headphone jack. It's sad that we have so say that this is a
>>> positive, but the glaring omission of a headphone jack on the GBA SP
>>> enraged many a gamer. Thankfully, Nintendo has decided to include a
>>> jack in the DS, and will hopefully also include a pair of headphones
>>> bundled with the unit.
>>
>> I thought the SP had a headphone jack?
>> At least, mine does...
>>
>Not quite though, as far as most were concerned it didnt. I dont see why
>they should bundle headphones with it though, not likes it an integral part
>of the playing experience. Fair enough, the manufacturers of personal
>stereos do it, but then they're not much use without them

It's not the lack of headphones - it's the hassle of having to buy
something else before you plug your own headphones into the sp that's
the problem. Also, you can't use headphones while the sp is on charge,
which might be an issue if you are playing at night next to a sleeping
spouse ... :-)

--
"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off whatever it is."
Xbox live : neil hopkins
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 7:06:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:57:15 +0000 (UTC), "/\\/\\arc"
<marc@MYSHORTSfiremoth.co.uk> thought hard and said:

>"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200406/N04.0618....
>>
>><SNIP>
>
>Are you listening to anyone? If we want to read these articles, we can go
>and read them on their original websites. Posting cut-and-paste jobs, and
>cross-posting them at that, is just irritating. Quit it!
>
>/\/\arc

Who the hell are you?
--
-Daniel "Mr. Brevity" Kolle; 16 A.A. #2035
Koji Kondo, Yo-Yo Ma, Gustav Mahler, Krzysztof Penderecki, and Geirr Tviett are my Gods.

"carlos' casa" <abuse@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Cargill" <mikementalist@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Wrong.
> >

> Wrong.

More people have spoken against R420 than praised him for it.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 9:53:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:53:37 +0100, "Michael Cargill"
<mikementalist@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>"carlos' casa" <abuse@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Michael Cargill" <mikementalist@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Wrong.
>> >

>> Wrong.
>
>More people have spoken against R420 than praised him for it.

Taking the uk groups out the cross posting will remove just about all
of the criticism as far as I can see.

--
"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off whatever it is."
Xbox live : neil hopkins
June 21, 2004 1:03:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sat, 19 Jun
2004 19:48:34 -0700, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.gamecube, yawatina tan reek esk "Markus" <diespammersdie>
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>MOST people have made it quite apparent that they appretiate these articles
>being posted. Some of use have lives, and don't have time to visit 15
>different websites in a day.

1) Those people are NOT in the uk.* hierarchy where this is against the
charter.
2) Never heard of RSS feeds? I see the headlines from 40+ sites in less than
10 seconds.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01

"Daniel Kolle" <DKolle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:57:15 +0000 (UTC), "/\\/\\arc"
> <marc@MYSHORTSfiremoth.co.uk> thought hard and said:
>

> >"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200406/N04.0618....
> >>
> >><SNIP>
> >
> >Are you listening to anyone? If we want to read these articles, we can go
> >and read them on their original websites. Posting cut-and-paste jobs, and
> >cross-posting them at that, is just irritating. Quit it!
> >
> >/\/\arc
>
> Who the hell are you?
> --
Marc....apparently. But with the /\/\...wow.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 12:42:24 AM

In message <MPG.1b40b8747ca96537989714@News.individual.net>
NOMAN <nomail@dontbother.com> wrote:

> People shouldn't HAVE to use their killfile.
<snippy snip>

I agree, but even if he is killfiled that still doesn't stop some people
from quoting the entire message to complain too....

Rob
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 1:01:16 AM

"Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> In message <MPG.1b40b8747ca96537989714@News.individual.net>
> NOMAN <nomail@dontbother.com> wrote:
>
> > People shouldn't HAVE to use their killfile.
> <snippy snip>
>
> I agree, but even if he is killfiled that still doesn't stop some people
> from quoting the entire message to complain too....

The thread can also be ignored too. But it just seems like the good
people of ugvgc would rather just bitch like little babies.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 1:07:47 AM

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:01:16 GMT, "carlos' casa" <abuse@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> In message <MPG.1b40b8747ca96537989714@News.individual.net>
>> NOMAN <nomail@dontbother.com> wrote:
>>
>> > People shouldn't HAVE to use their killfile.
>> <snippy snip>
>>
>> I agree, but even if he is killfiled that still doesn't stop some people
>> from quoting the entire message to complain too....
>
>The thread can also be ignored too. But it just seems like the good
>people of ugvgc would rather just bitch like little babies.

You really do know how to win friends and influence people. We've
asked politely for the crossposting to stop, and that counts as
bitching like babies? Is there any reason that these threads can't
stay in alt.* where they belong, unless you are looking to stir up
trouble?

--
"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off whatever it is."
Xbox live : neil hopkins
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 3:30:07 AM

> "carlos' casa" <abuse@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Neil Hopkins" <neil_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > You really do know how to win friends and influence people. We've
> > > asked politely for the crossposting to stop, and that counts as
> > > bitching like babies?
> >
> > Ok, I hearby politely ask you to killfile me or would you rather
> > just bitch about that too?
>
> Just having that R420 stop crossposting stuff to the UK groups would be
> fine.
>
> What do you think is more reasonable? 50+ people having to add various
> rules to their killfiles and newsreader settings, or one person just
> exluding the UK groups from his posts as has been repeatedly requested...?

No, I think 5 people crying like little babies is far more reasonable.
June 22, 2004 1:53:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

In article <w0IBc.17278$z24.16235@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>, abuse@yahoo.com
says...

> "Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > In message <MPG.1b40b8747ca96537989714@News.individual.net>
> > NOMAN <nomail@dontbother.com> wrote:
> >
> > > People shouldn't HAVE to use their killfile.
> > <snippy snip>
> >
> > I agree, but even if he is killfiled that still doesn't stop some people
> > from quoting the entire message to complain too....
>
> The thread can also be ignored too. But it just seems like the good
> people of ugvgc would rather just bitch like little babies.

Yes, the thread can be ignored, but that is still not the point. The
point is that it has been made very clear that these articles are not
wanted in UGVG - so why would R420 continue to post them there?

NOMAN
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 3:04:34 PM

radeonr420@yahoo.com (R420) wrote in message news:<51488ce2.0406181736.25993dfa@posting.google.com>...
> http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200406/N04.0618....
>
>While the original Game Boy
>launched in 1986 for about $150-200, today's discerning gamers seem
>be more comfortable with a $100 handheld

These people need to check their facts before they write. Original
Gameboy was released in 1989, for $89.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 3:51:10 PM

"Gigatron" <gigatron88@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D e62242c.0406221004.35088e23@posting.google.com...
> radeonr420@yahoo.com (R420) wrote in message
> > http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200406/N04.0618....
> >
> >While the original Game Boy
> >launched in 1986 for about $150-200, today's discerning gamers seem
> >be more comfortable with a $100 handheld
>
> These people need to check their facts before they write. Original
> Gameboy was released in 1989, for $89.

If you account for inflation, $89 dollars in 1986 is somewheren in the $120-
140 range today.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 4:00:13 PM

NOMAN <nomail@dontbother.com> writes:
> R420: By all means post your articles to the relevant alt.* group, but
> please do not crosspost to other groups.

No. Please continue posting R420; your stuff is interesting.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!
Anonymous

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:00:13 +0900, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

>NOMAN <nomail@dontbother.com> writes:
>> R420: By all means post your articles to the relevant alt.* group, but
>> please do not crosspost to other groups.
>
>No. Please continue posting R420; your stuff is interesting.

It may well be to you, but seeing as you are not a regular poster to
the uk groups you won't be missing anything if it's not cross-posted
will you?

--
"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off whatever it is."
Xbox live : neil hopkins
June 22, 2004 4:00:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

In article <87u0x4nvpe.fsf@tc-1-100.kawasaki.gol.ne.jp>, miles@gnu.org
says...
> NOMAN <nomail@dontbother.com> writes:
> > R420: By all means post your articles to the relevant alt.* group, but
> > please do not crosspost to other groups.
>
> No. Please continue posting R420; your stuff is interesting.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Miles

So tell me Miles, are you a reader of uk.games.video.gamecube?

I'm not asking R420 to stop pasting/posting these articles altogether,
merely asking for a little restraint. I can't imagine why he would want
to continue to crosspost to groups that are simply not interested.

NOMAN
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 4:02:50 PM

neil_hopkins@hotmail.com (Neil Hopkins) writes:
> You really do know how to win friends and influence people. We've
> asked politely for the crossposting to stop, and that counts as
> bitching like babies? Is there any reason that these threads can't
> stay in alt.* where they belong, unless you are looking to stir up
> trouble?

The thing is, there are more people reading that just you.

Some posters are obviously trolls and just looking to "stir up trouble",
but R420's stuff is not so easily categorizable -- it _is_ on-topic, and
interesting, and many people like it.

-Miles
--
P.S. All information contained in the above letter is false,
for reasons of military security.

"NOMAN" <nomail@dontbother.com> wrote in message
> In article <w0IBc.17278$z24.16235@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>, abuse@yahoo.com
> says...
> >
> > "Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

> > > <snippy snip>
> > >
> > > I agree, but even if he is killfiled that still doesn't stop some
people
> > > from quoting the entire message to complain too....
> >
> > The thread can also be ignored too. But it just seems like the good
> > people of ugvgc would rather just bitch like little babies.
> >

> Yes, the thread can be ignored, but that is still not the point. The
> point is that it has been made very clear that these articles are not
> wanted in UGVG - so why would R420 continue to post them there?

Why would you continue to bitch and moan about something so
trite? Do you report spammers too? Does it stop them?
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 7:52:37 PM

carlos' casa wrote:

> Why would you continue to bitch and moan about something so
> trite?

Because the uk.* groups were an exceptionally pleasant place before the
idiotic crossposting.

> Do you report spammers too?

Yes.

> Does it stop them?

Yes.

Followups once again set.

Tim (tm)
--
tim at economic-truth.co.uk Xbox Live gamertag: Xexyz
http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> > Yes, if you're a deaf/mute. Otherwise, speach/hearing is much more
> > efficient and versatile. But for a modern, technology-brainwashed idiot,
> > it's not cool.
>
> I agree, that's why I can't *stand* people who send SMS when they could
> quite easily come round my house.

Its easier to text your mate to say 'watch channel 4 now' or whatever
than to go round someones house (even if its next door), and tell them.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 8:42:17 PM

"Tim Miller" <news@economic-truth.co.uk> wrote in message
> carlos' casa wrote:
>
> > Why would you continue to bitch and moan about something so
> > trite?
>
> Because the uk.* groups were an exceptionally pleasant place before the
> idiotic crossposting.
>
> > Do you report spammers too?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Does it stop them?
>
> Yes.

Oh please. You are truly deluded.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 9:40:23 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:04:55 GMT, "carlos' casa" <abuse@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"Neil Hopkins" <neil_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> I have this curious notion that explaining my point of view and asking
>> politely for this somewhat childish behaviour to stop might have an
>> effect.
>
>Didn't I politely ask you to KF me??

How will that cure the cross postings from every other alt.* Tom, Dick
and Harry?

--
"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off whatever it is."
Xbox live : neil hopkins
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 11:50:06 PM

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:00:13 +0900, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> >NOMAN <nomail@dontbother.com> writes:
> >> R420: By all means post your articles to the relevant alt.* group, but
> >> please do not crosspost to other groups.
> >
> >No. Please continue posting R420; your stuff is interesting.
>
> It may well be to you, but seeing as you are not a regular poster to
> the uk groups you won't be missing anything if it's not cross-posted
> will you?

You know, I just took a look at that group and, well, there's really nothing
going on over there. Is that part of the blessed charter as well? You
guys wouldn't happen to be Free Masons or Stone Cutters too? Snarf.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 12:14:54 AM

In message <MPG.1b425aef59d9ae0998968e@news-east.giganews.com>
Turd <na@na.com> wrote:

> Its easier to text your mate to say 'watch channel 4 now' or whatever
> than to go round someones house (even if its next door), and tell them.

What's wrong with just phoning me if they know I'm at home?

Rob
June 23, 2004 10:35:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

As I've previously said...

I am a Nintendo fan, but I think the company is in for a bigger
kicking than the UK Labour Party, judging by their next portable
device compared with the one from Sony.

One thing you didn't mention as a negative for the touch screen is
that if you're touching the screen quite a lot it will get dirty and
have fingerprints all over it. It might been innovative but I just
don't see the need for a touch screen on a portable gaming device.

As far as price goes, yes the Sony PSP may be a lot more expensive
initially at launch, though the Nintendo DS will also be priced higher
at launch, I think the price for the PSP will come down. Even if it
still remains quite a bit higher than the Nintendo DS, I still believe
that more people will buy the PSP. Perhaps not at first, but overall
more people will get the PSP. As far as the looks go I am already
hooked on the PSP and would buy it without actually seeing it in
operation first!

The DS looks like those cheap Donkey Kong LCD Nintendo games you used
to be able to get in the 80's. Those had a screen at the bottom and
the top and you had to get him towards the top screen from the bottom
and avoiding things getting thrown down. Perhaps the DS isn't such a
new idea after all. Nintendo have previously made products kind of
like this a long time ago.

I think Nintendo's only chance to remain a big player in the market is
to produce a decent next-gen console as replacement for the Cube and
to compete with Sony and Microsoft.

If I was Nintendo I would scrap the DS and urgently try and come up
with something a lot better. I know that I wont be buying one after
the disappointment of GBA, and having seen what the DS looks like. I
would also be very dubious of the word "online" if it is present in
any article to do with any Nintendo product, I'd definitely take it
with a pinch of salt.

This is turning out to be quite negative, and I like Nintendo, but hey
that's what I think. The best portable gaming device ever made IMHO
was the PC Engine GT/Turbo Graphx Express. The batteries (all 6 of
them) may have only lasted a couple of hours, but that was one heck of
a beast that machine. I haven't been excited about a portable device
since that one, now I am once again having seen the PSP.

John
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 10:59:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

# John

> One thing you didn't mention as a negative for the touch screen is
> that if you're touching the screen quite a lot it will get dirty and
> have fingerprints all over it.

*Checks palm screen*

Nope. Spotless.

--
Toby
~~FA: Quantum Redshift & Luigi's Mansion

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

NOMAN <nomail@dontbother.com> writes:
>> No. Please continue posting R420; your stuff is interesting.
>
> So tell me Miles, are you a reader of uk.games.video.gamecube?

Yes, actually.

> I'm not asking R420 to stop pasting/posting these articles altogether,
> merely asking for a little restraint. I can't imagine why he would want
> to continue to crosspost to groups that are simply not interested.

(1) Your post asked him to stop posting to _every_ group except "alt"
groups. That's silly -- whether uk.games.video.gamecube is appropriate
or not, his posts _are_ informative and on-topic, and certainly deserve
exposure in groups other than the alt cesspool. I'd be happy enough
reading them in rec.games.nintendo.

(2) I doubt you can really make much of a case that any group (even
uk.games.video.gamecube) is "simply not interested" -- you and other
vocal opponents to these posts do not necessarily speak for the general
readership.

Anyway, I'm personally happy enough to be able to read these posts in
whatever non-alt group they appear in, but the amount of hot air being
blown about over this issue is pretty stilly.

-Miles
June 25, 2004 1:26:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

In article <87n02ssek8.fsf@tc-1-100.kawasaki.gol.ne.jp>, miles@gnu.org
says...
> NOMAN <nomail@dontbother.com> writes:
> >> No. Please continue posting R420; your stuff is interesting.
> >
> > So tell me Miles, are you a reader of uk.games.video.gamecube?
>
> Yes, actually.

I ask because you chose not to write to the following thread:

http://snipurl.com/7bqo

which seems to indicate that R420's posts are unwanted.

> > I'm not asking R420 to stop pasting/posting these articles altogether,
> > merely asking for a little restraint. I can't imagine why he would want
> > to continue to crosspost to groups that are simply not interested.
>
> (1) Your post asked him to stop posting to _every_ group except "alt"
> groups. That's silly -- whether uk.games.video.gamecube is appropriate
> or not, his posts _are_ informative and on-topic, and certainly deserve
> exposure in groups other than the alt cesspool. I'd be happy enough
> reading them in rec.games.nintendo.

Okay, sorry - I didn't see the rec. group in the list. I think you're
being a little pedantic though - I believe my point was perfectly clear.

> (2) I doubt you can really make much of a case that any group (even
> uk.games.video.gamecube) is "simply not interested" -- you and other
> vocal opponents to these posts do not necessarily speak for the general
> readership.

If it wasn't for the thread I linked above, I'd agree with you.

> Anyway, I'm personally happy enough to be able to read these posts in
> whatever non-alt group they appear in, but the amount of hot air being
> blown about over this issue is pretty stilly.

You're absolutely right and to be fair, R420's posts went unchecked for
a significant amount of time. The reason so much 'hot air' is being
blown around now is that he continues to cut'n'paste speculative
articles, despite the fact that his actions go against the UGVG
charter*, despite the fact that cross-posting is generally considered
bad USENET etiquette and despite the fact that a significant proportion
of the readership of UGVG has made it clear that they do not want him to
continue.

If I'm going to be completely honest - I'm not that bothered about the
posts themselves. What pisses me off is R420's blatant disregard for the
users and policies of UGVG. Don't be fooled into thinking his posts are
made for the benefit of his public - it's becoming fairly obvious that
his actions are motivated by a misguided, selfish need to bring
attention to himself. A description fitting of a USENET troll.

I won't be bothering to reply to any more of his contributions, because
as you say - the resulting bickering is worse than the original posts
themselves

> -Miles

NOMAN

*While many people are not concerned by the 'authority' of a group
charter on an unmoderated forum, the charter has helped to make UGVG a
useful and friendly newsgroup. Therefore, it is worth defending.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 1:52:03 PM

Miles Bader wrote:
> NOMAN <nomail@dontbother.com> writes:
>
>>>No. Please continue posting R420; your stuff is interesting.
>>
>>So tell me Miles, are you a reader of uk.games.video.gamecube?
>

> Yes, actually.
>

>>I'm not asking R420 to stop pasting/posting these articles altogether,
>>merely asking for a little restraint. I can't imagine why he would want
>>to continue to crosspost to groups that are simply not interested.
>

> (1) Your post asked him to stop posting to _every_ group except "alt"
> groups. That's silly -- whether uk.games.video.gamecube is appropriate
> or not, his posts _are_ informative and on-topic, and certainly deserve
> exposure in groups other than the alt cesspool. I'd be happy enough
> reading them in rec.games.nintendo.
>
> (2) I doubt you can really make much of a case that any group (even
> uk.games.video.gamecube) is "simply not interested" -- you and other
> vocal opponents to these posts do not necessarily speak for the general
> readership.

What he is saying, is that uk groups do not like cross posts. This is as
simple as it gets.

--
From the mind of Andrew Kicks
--A heartless man,