Ok boffins, I've had this problem since new, starting about 5 years ago

CPU = Q6600 Core 2 Quad
RAM = Corsair CM2X1024-6400 (4x1GB) DDR2
HDD = Sata Samsung
Mobo = GA-N650SLI-DS4L
PSU = Thermaltake 650w (i think)
GPU = was 2x8800gt sLi
= ATI 4600 currently

the problem is, when i use 2x1GB sticks in any combination, my system works fine, however when i use 4x1GB sticks my comp crashes and has an annoying sound loop. Usually the last sound played, no BSOD, no error reports...

The RAM is identical and works in any channel, and as i said it works in any combination; ie: stick 1 will pair with 2, 3 or 4 and will run fine as a 2gb machine.

Everything has been replaced and im positive its a mobo issue, but just hoping its a software issue and not a hardware, although it means the boss (wife) will let me get up to date with i7 etc..

Have dealt with the issue until now as BF3 is constantly crashing and im blaming lack of RAM. I have considered buying 2x2GB DDR2 sticks, but its redundant when i do upgrade.

any help will be appreciated, but not necessary.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
That does seem like a Mobo issue to me too. At this point even running a RAM testing tool probably wouldn't give you a trustworthy answer. The only thing I could suggest is to check for BIOS updates if you haven't dons so already.

dazza_pak

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
RAM is 1.9v and now have it running at 2v.

So far so good, have started BF3 with no crash. Will keep you guys updated. Hopefully it crashes, the wife wont let me replace a working computer....

Cheers,

Dazza_Pak

dazza_pak

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

I was running 2x8800 GT's which have been replaced by an Ati 4800 series card (not 4600) so im confident video card is not the issue.

RAM currently running at 2.05v and still crashing, although I can now play BF3 for about 1/2 hour before it does. Any type of load on memory before would crash it out.

The only possibilities I can think of are:

1) bad memory slot on motherboard

2) BIOS timings incorrect (BIOS update may help)

Things to do:
- run MEMTEST ( www.ultimatebootcd.com )
- set the voltage to normal, and REDUCE your RAM speed to the lowest frequency possible to see if it will work then test with MEMTEST

BIOS updates: http://ee.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-n650sli-ds4l_10/download/bios

*MEMTEST:
The very first thing I recommend after burning the boot CD (make sure BIOS is set to boot disc before hard drive if it doesn't detect the disc) is to run Memtest like this:
- BIOS settings normal (1.8V etc)
- test a pair of RAM for at least one full cycle (an hour? not sure)
- if it passes, remove the RAM and test in the other COLOUR

Since you can install two sticks in either colour it's easy to figure out if its a bad motherboard slot or bad RAM.

If you can get two sticks working in either colour then it's likely a timing issue in your BIOS.

dazza_pak

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
RAM is running at 800MHz, and 2.05v currently and still crashes but take s bit now.

Problem is solved in the essence I have been allocated funds to purchase a new Mobo, CPU and RAM.

Is there any potenetial issue running; (everything else the same)
*AsRock Z77 Extreme4
*i5 2320
*Patriot Viper extreme 8GB package.

Im not looking to run Crysis 1 on max chickens, just BF3, D3 and WoW

CPU:
The i5-2500K is slightly faster without hyperthreading enabled and only $15 more. You can also overclock it as well (with a good heatsink). If you enable the hyperthreads you'll get 30% more processing for tasks which can use it, like encoding video.

The i5-2500K is also slightly newer and has the 3000 graphics instead of the 2000 (though you likely don't care about that.)

Motherboard:
Seems nice.

RAM:
The Patriot Viper Extreme is overkill. You can get 8GB of RAM for half the price which will perform the same in your system. Any 1600MHz RAM for $50 will work identically

*Be careful with buying RAM that has heat spreaders which may interfere with the CPU HSF.

CPU HSF:
Not just for overclocking. Even a $20 HSF will run quieter than a stock fan. Lots of choices. This one is $20 and a great value:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&vpn=RR-B10-212P-G1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER&promoid=1058

dazza_pak

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

In light of you comment I have now committed to buy;

*AsRock z77 Extreme4
*Core i5 3550
*G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 (4GBx4)
*Windows 7 64bit

RAM issue solved by Mobo, CPU and RAM replacement. Thanks for the heads up about Ivy Bridge, well worth the extra coin I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.