Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do you reset your system back to zero?

Last response: in Systems
May 13, 2011 6:08:01 PM

Can somebody point me in the right direction on how to reset you system back to zero. I mean a clean install of everything!
My system:
i5-760
Asus P7P55D-E PRO
Asus GTX560 Ti
Samsung 500G HDD
G.Skill 60G Sniper SSD
Windows 7 64bit

I have all the software and product keys necessary.

More about : reset system back

May 13, 2011 6:35:51 PM

MonsterUSA said:
Can somebody point me in the right direction on how to reset you system back to zero. I mean a clean install of everything!
My system:
i5-760
Asus P7P55D-E PRO
Asus GTX560 Ti
Samsung 500G HDD
G.Skill 60G Sniper SSD
Windows 7 64bit

I have all the software and product keys necessary.

Well, that depends. Do you have your data backed up?

With my system, I only format when I install a drive initially. If I want to start off fresh, what I do is I rename the windows and related folders in the root of the drive via an ultimate boot cd or flash drive, and do a clean install from cd/dvd without making any other changes to the drive. This guarantees all data stays intact. You will end up with a clean load of windows, but you will have to move your data around to the appropriate folders once the installation and drivers are all installed and the system is up and running. That is just me though. If you want the system, hard drive and windows to be like "new", then do a wipe of the hard drive using killdisk or gdisk (both will wipe the drive to varying degrees as needed, including DOD approved 7 passes) to write 0's and 1's to the drive and then re-install windows, drivers, apps, etc. As always, backup anything of any usefulness before hand. Always double check too, because it's easy to miss stuff, especially in non-standard locations.

-- MaSoP
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 13, 2011 7:12:54 PM

restart your computer and enter bios. put your windows dvd in the drive. select boot from dvd-drive in your bios. windows will ask you to select an install partition. delete any existing partitions and format the drive, then install windows.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 13, 2011 8:07:42 PM

+1 to genghiskron
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2011 10:38:59 AM

genghiskron said:
restart your computer and enter bios. put your windows dvd in the drive. select boot from dvd-drive in your bios. windows will ask you to select an install partition. delete any existing partitions and format the drive, then install windows.

after backing up any desired/necessary files to external drive ofc
Moto
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 14, 2011 3:08:16 PM

Many good point.
I'm quessing you are talking just your SSD.
If So:
- Back up your data that may be on the SSD such as email, favorites, and any of your files in "my docs". Most who use an SSD already have thes folders on a HDD instead of the SSD.

- Before reinstall run a program to wipe the SSD, such as HDDerease.
.. General Instructions: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...
- When done proceed with your windows re-install.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2011 4:07:20 PM

I disagree.

Surely the best way to reset a system is with fire. ;) 
June 2, 2011 4:38:32 PM

Best answer selected by MonsterUSA.
m
l
!