Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

AMD with Nvidia

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 6, 2011 4:13:57 AM

Hey, I'm new here; I signed up just to ask a question.

I have searched on google for what I would think would be a common asked question but cant find anything.

So this means either its a dumb question or people just haven't asked the question.

Well, I'm planning on getting a new GPU and running it with my old one at the same time. Just wondering, will there be any problems or errors if I use a HD Radeon 6850 with a 9800 GTX+? basically, will AMD and Nvidia GPU's run together?

More about : amd nvidia

a c 169 U Graphics card
March 6, 2011 6:11:43 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
You can use the 6850 as the primary card and the 9800GTX+ as the PhysX card.
m
l
a c 1153 U Graphics card
March 6, 2011 6:16:31 AM

To further clarify, you could use the Nvidia card as a PhysX card if you search for and install the hack to get it to work. But I bet you were wondering if you could either 1) run a multiple monitor setup with two different cards, or 2) get a mixed "hybrid" dual GPU setup to run a single monitor, which would be impossible without a Lucid Hydra chipset. I'm not sure about #1, but almost every type of combination seems possible these days.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 223 U Graphics card
March 6, 2011 1:15:23 PM

I would like to add if you're running Vista you won't be able to do anything. Vista will only load ONE graphics driver, so it will load either the 6850 OR the 9800GTX. This will also prevent you from using the 9800GTX as a physX card as you'd need to load the Nvidia drivers for it to work. XP and win7 don't have this issue.
m
l
March 6, 2011 6:27:47 PM

Thanks everyone, me being highly uneducated about dual gpu's I just didnt know the answer. I currently only have one monitor so your suggestion of a gpu per monitor wont work. Also I dont really wanna 'hack' to get the 9800 to become a physx unless it wont harm any of my components. I will look further into Physx, and see if it's right for me.

Thanks for everything.
m
l
a c 223 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 12:00:16 AM

The hack is just some software you load. If you can load a driver, you can load the "hack". There aren't many games that need a PhysX card. Unless you play any of these it won't matter. These are currently the only games you'd need a physX card for.

Video games that support PhysX include Batman: Arkham Asylum, Watchmen: The End is Nigh, Crazy Machines 2, Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason, Dark Void, Darkest of Days, Hot Dance Party , Hot Dance Party II, Mafia II, Metal Knight Zero Online, Metro 2033, Mirror's Edge, Nurien, Sacred 2, Sacred 2: Ice & Blood, Star Tales, Star Trek DAC, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Unreal Tournament 3 (and Extreme Physics Mod), U-WARS, and Warmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX
m
l