Sign in with
Your question

Want new mobo for my i7 960, worth it?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 26, 2012 1:37:56 PM

Hi! :hello: 

I'm trying to see what you guys think about what I should do here.

Current specs: EVGA 132-BL-E758 mobo, i7 960, 24g DDR3, 6970, OCZ RevoDrive 120g.

I have no complaints about my PC's speed; plays everything I want it to without lag, but I really want to upgrade my motherboard as I don't have USB 3.0 or SATA 6gb/s and I can't run a second video card (as I'm using the only other PCI-e slot for my RevoDrive)

I also have had disk corruption issues with my Revodrive which is known to occur with this motherboard.

I'm wondering what newer LGA1366 board might be a good fit?

And yes, I know, this socket is dead but I see no reason to buy a new CPU!

More about : mobo 960 worth

a c 716 V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 3:29:00 PM

I 'get' (2) two PCIe's are occupied with an HD 6970 & Revo, duh your MOBO is a 3-WAY?! That is at least the EVGA 132-BL-E758 I looked at - http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/visual/132-BL...

Food for thought, Windows is ALL about 4KB R/W and SATA3 looks sexy but in reality even the latest SSD's are frankly pretty pathetic; listen to JJ (6min & especially 7min); see below. As far as USB 3.0, no doubt an improvement over USB 2.0, BUT 99.999%+ folks out there aren't making a career copying files to and from USB devices; use your eSATA and you'll have a lot less issues.

Spoiler
Otherwise, sure I can help you waste all the money you want. What's your price range?

m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 3:46:13 PM

I am sure there is a better board out there for you... I would sell the board and CPU if it were me
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 4:19:03 PM

USB 3 is virtually useless unless you have some kind of drive without eSATA (you don't, I'm guessing). As noted above, SATA III won't help you.
What do you call the third PCI-e slot you have?
m
l
April 26, 2012 4:39:08 PM

if you really want these features just put your cpu up on ebay or amazon used for a reasonable price and see if you get any buyers while you figure out if you want a new mobo. Right now its getting cheap to upgrade to sb chipset. couple weeks ago microcenter was selling 2600k cpu for 200 dollars. Really don't see the point of going to IB yet since prices are extremely high over sb for a small jump in performance.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 4:53:20 PM

burton88 said:
... Really don't see the point of going to IB yet since prices are extremely high over sb for a small jump in performance.

I feel the same way about going from an i7-9XX to SB, and I'm running the SB-E. The ONLY time I notice the difference in my case is running SQL which is still a long process for the size files I test.

I have an i7-980X, i7-930's (lot of them), and i7-3930K in the 'real world' aka vast majority of users could tell which rig is which and would be guessing short of an obscure or totally useless synthetic.

I have USB 3.0 devices and unless it's a high quality device many of them aren't (USB 3.0 interface with slow R/W) you won't notice the differences; again use eSATA. SATA3 looks great on benches, but again you're stuck to more real world i.e. 4KB R/W limitations. The OP has 24GB of RAM -- use a RAM drive, makes any SATA look like a snail.
m
l
!