Mini HDMi to HDMI cable responsible for choppy x264 playback?

nativeson8803

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hello:

I am having extremely choppy playback on my Vizio E421VA 42'inch HDTV. I have tried multiple codecs and players including VLC, WMPHC, and WMP. I do not think that is the problem. I have two things that I think may be causing it, one fixable the other not:

1. (fixable) Is it possible that the mini HDMI to HDMI cable that came with my GTX470 is not carrying the signal fast enough either due to design or poor quality/defective? If so, I could replace it, but I have heard conflicting reports that all cables are essentially the same, so I'd rather not do that since the premium cables can be expensive.

2. (not fixable) On my TV there are several settings that cannot be changed when using the HDMI input, such as when I watch movies from my hdd on the TV which acts as a second monitor. These settings are noise reduction and some other ones. They are greyed out and I have done web research that says that you can only adjust them when the TV is on "TV" or "Component" setting. They are not adjustable and I have heard that they possibly could be the problem.

There is another way that I have fixed it to some degree, and that is to watch the movies under the "Gaming" setting on the TV. This, however, makes the quality of the picture go down and I do not want to use it.

Should I buy a new cable? Is this something I will have to live with?

Thanks.

My specs:

Mobo: MSI P45 Platinum

CPU: Q9550 @ 3.5ghz

VGA: EVGA GTX 470

8 Gigs Corsair 800

Win 7 x64 Ultimate

120gig SSD (movies are played off of various secondary hard drives)

I have had this problem for almost a year and it remains the same no matter which drivers I use.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Refresh rate means how many times the image is reloaded per second. Two common rates are 60 Hz and 120 Hz. It could be that since you are using a 42" HDTV, the graphics card may not be able to refresh an image that large so quickly.