New Build Not Working

squoobie

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I am trying to get my new build going and need some help. (This is my 4th build). I am still breadboarding, haven't put it in the case yet.

I have the following components

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3
I5-2400
G-Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB)
Seasonic S12II 520 PSU
Lite-On DVD

Crucial C300 120GB SSD
WD 640 GB WD6401AALS

The plan was to hook up just the SSD, install Win 7 64, then add the WD drive. I had trouble getting the SSD going, so I took it out, put in the WD drive, clear CMOS, set BIOS to defaults. I was able to load Win 7.

Switched back to the SSD, clear CMOS, reset BIOS, set to AHCI. Was able to load Win 7. Looked good. Took WIN DVD out of drive then system stopped booting. A bit of searching found that others had issue with Win 7 only booting if DVD was in the drive. The indicated fix was a repair install. So, I put the DVD back in, but now no boot at all. Not with the SSD. Not with the WD drive.

I attached a speaker, I get a single beep. If I clear CMOS and boot, I get a single beep and the "CMOS reset" screen comes up. When I hit DEL to go to BIOS, I get a blank screen.

Sometimes, I get a no OS message if I have no drives connected, most often not. I've tried a known good PSU (even put the new PSU in my current rig) so it doesn't appear to be the PSU. Tried each memory stick alone in each slot, same results every time. Tried putting my working graphics card in new rig, same results.

Does anyone have any other troubleshooting ideas for me?

PS I've been a TH member forever, but this is my first post with my new account :)

squoobie

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
IDE for SSD? I used IDE setting (in fact used all defaults) for the WD drive when I couldn't get the SSD to work initially. Switched to AHCI for the SSD and got it to load OK.

RAM is 1.5V, which is what BIOS had it at.

Either way, I can no longer get to BIOS as I get the black screen after I hit DEL to go in :(

squoobie

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Thanks, but no help there as it deals with slowdowns and freeze-ups in Windows.

I can occasionally get into BIOS if I boot enough times, but its looking like I'll have to RMA the board.

Any other ideas?

squoobie

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Had a thought here...the board has just a 4-pin ATX plug, while my power supply has an 8-pin and a 4+4 pin cable. I used the 4+4 and just plugged in one of the two connectors (tried both halves of the 4+4, same results). Sounds OK, right?