Power Supply works in one system, but not another

I recently built 2 systems, both using 500watt Antec Earthwatts supplies, and Asrock Extreme-4 motherboards.

The 1st came up and worked great.

On the 2nd, it was stone-cold dead. Nothing I could do to get a light or a fan to move. I tried an old Coolermaster
supply, and the system came right up. So I figured the power supply was dead, and sent it back to Newegg.
I decided to go with a Antec Basiq BP550Plus 550watt supply this time.

The new 550 watt arrived last night.

Well, I plugged it in, and had the same problem. Dead. No nothing. Put the old Coolermaster in there, still works fine.
Now I am suspicious.

I grabbed an old AMD computer my son uses. The Antec 550 Watt works fine in it.

The old Coolermaster has a 4-pin ATX 12V, and the AsRock has an 8-pin, so I just left 4 pins unplugged.
The Basiq has the newer 8-pin. Not sure that this is related, but it's the only difference I can come up with.

It's a pain-in-the butt to keep taking out and putting in a new supply. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
Anyone heard of this before?

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about power supply works system another
  1. Hmm so the Asrock motherboard has an 8pin powr slot but the 8pin on the antec doesn't work but the 4pin on the coolermaster will. I would have guess the other way around. Is the 8pin on antec a solid 8pin or is it the 4+4pin so you could test it with just using 4?

OooOoo you are using the 8pin designed for the motherboard and not using a PCIe 8pin? They look almost exactly alike.
  2. are you using the 8-PIN P2 or PCIE connector?
  3. crewton said:
    Hmm so the Asrock motherboard has an 8pin powr slot but the 8pin on the antec doesn't work but the 4pin on the coolermaster will. I would have guess the other way around. Is the 8pin on antec a solid 8pin or is it the 4+4pin so you could test it with just using 4?

OooOoo you are using the 8pin designed for the motherboard and not using a PCIe 8pin? They look almost exactly alike.

I am definitely using the 4+4 on the Antec/AsRock combo. I am going camping this weekend, so I will try your suggestion when I return.

And I have an Antec + AsRock combo working great on the 1st computer I built. I may try swapping supplies, but I hate to take apart something that is working well.
  4. Emerald said:
    are you using the 8-PIN P2 or PCIE connector?

No, I have the 2 6-pins plugged into the video card, and the extra "2" on one of the 6-pins hanging off the side.

Good thought though.

I would think one could not plug the Pci-E 6+2 into the 8-pin ATX, due to keying, but I have never tried it.
  5. Oh it works >.> well not so much works as fits.
  6. Update:

Using:

The old Coolermaster 550 with nothing in the 8-pin ATX connector on the motherboard: powers up
    Note I am just looking for power-on, not boot.

The new Antec 550 with nothing in the 8-pin ATX connector on the motherboard: Nothing

Using an old generic power-supply I pulled out of a case I inherited, and nothing
    in the 8-pin connector on the motherboard: Powers up

It sure sounds like a received a 2nd bad supply, except that the Antec 550 works in another computer.
    And that means I received 2 bad Antec supplies in a row, which also seems unlikely.
  7. That is odd that it works in one computer and not the other. I've never heard of power supplies not working for certain motherboards.
  8. A brief update:

I sent back the 2nd Antec, and installed an OCZ supply. It works just fine.
    This will just have to remain one of life's mysteries.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Power Supplies Antec Systems