liam 123

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
I puchased a very cheap gaming system off overclockes UK around 8 months ago and ever since i got it i always seem to have a humming sound coming from my PC. All my temps like CPU and Graphics are fine. I always recently fitted a new processor but still the same hum. It also gets slightly louder when i game heres the specs:

CPU: AMD X6 1090T @ 3.2GHz Standard Fan/heatsink
Graphics:Gainward GTS 250 1gb Overclocked not sure how much though
PSU:500w but dont know what make
RAM:4GB DDR Corsair 1333MHz
Case:Xigmatek Asgard

Also is 500w enough for this CPU and card? Everything on the system works fine just not sure what to do about the humming, when i fitted the processor i didnt see alot of dust inside the computer

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I assume the humming are the fans. Smaller fans with higher RPMs make more noise. More fans more noise. When you create more heat (gaming) you create more noise. It is what it is.

500W is enough assuming its a good psu. Is it a single rail design with 30ish amps on the 12V?

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Fans will definitely make noise, and I've known of old hard drives that made noise due to wear in the bearings. And older hard drives used to make more noise when they were accessed but most drives now are prety quiet.

You could open the case and try to pinpoint the source of the noise. If it is a fan then you could replace it before it fails entirely.