[ATI] suggest me to select a gpu and psu

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 6, 2011 10:27:56 AM

Hi guys I've the following system in spare and I want a graphic card for it. :) 

Operating System:
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz

RAM:
2.0GB Kingston (800-BUS, DDR2)

Motherboard:
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5KPL-AM EPU (775LGA, DDR2)

Graphics:

Hard Drives:
156GB

PSU:
An old 400Watts or so.

Heatsink:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Please, suggest me a graphic card for above specifications and power supply as well.
Thanks. :) 

Also, I'm a average gamer so I'd like to play Team Fortress 2 like games @high settings.
Although, I'm able to run them with -dxlevel 81 parameters but in that case fps aren't that much good, though. :) 

My budget will be from 50 to 100bucks. :) 

More about : ati suggest select gpu psu

a c 130 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 11:33:56 AM

Most graphics cards capable of giving you some kind of gaming enjoyment would require an upgrade to that power supply. Do you know the make and model of the PSU?
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2011 7:51:57 PM

Thanks for your replies guys.
I forgot to write that my budget was 100usd for each item (50$ for psu and other 100$ for gpu).

ubercake. I would not even bother keeping that old psu as it not even have it's own existence it's company tell that it's FAST but it heat up a lot and has some weird connectors.

rmerwede. Card seems to be okay but on my nearest store there're only HIS and HFX cards no SHAPPHIRE or Gigabyte.
But, psu isn't that much popular in my areas so it would not be even available to buy (assuming that I'm not going to buy products online).

Davcon. Thanks, however if I go with Antec VP-450 450W Power Supply which is good and in stock item there's no crossfire available. :( 
Doesn't that mean I'd not be able to take full advantage of ati based cards? :( 

A question: Will I be able to run 5450 HD if I plan to go with an under 60buck card?
Please note that it's requirements says that it requires a PCI-E 2.1 board but I've 2.0. :( 

Thanks.
m
l

Best solution

a c 236 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 9:05:17 PM

guest911 said:
I forgot to write that my budget was 100usd for each item (50$ for psu and other 100$ for gpu).

ubercake. I would not even bother keeping that old psu as it not even have it's own existence it's company tell that it's FAST but it heat up a lot and has some weird connectors.

rmerwede. Card seems to be okay but on my nearest store there're only HIS and HFX cards no SHAPPHIRE or Gigabyte.
But, psu isn't that much popular in my areas so it would not be even available to buy (assuming that I'm not going to buy products online).

Davcon. Thanks, however if I go with Antec VP-450 450W Power Supply which is good and in stock item there's no crossfire available. :( 

A question: Will I be able to run 5450 HD if I plan to go with an under 60buck card?
Please note that it's requirements says that it requires a PCI-E 2.1 board but I've 2.0. :( 

Thanks.

you have several questions so ill try to answer as many as I see

1. crossfire means using two cards and no PSU under $50 should ever be used for crossfire. plus you don't have the budget (probably the motherboard also) to run crossfire anyways. the antec he suggested will work just fine, as would the 430w corsair that comes with a good rebate.
2. take full advantage of ATI cards? no you will be fine, for a definition of crossfire I suggest you read this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_CrossFire
3. the ATI 5450 is a basic video card for improvements over integrated graphics for work, MS office, HD video. its not really a gaming card and would struggle in most modern games at anything but low settings.
4. PCI-E 2.1 cards will work just fine in 2.0 motherboards. they sometimes have issues in 1.0 motherboards
5. my personal suggestion
PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
video card

or if you have the extra $20 cash that you get back in a rebate
March 8, 2011 6:36:58 AM

ct1615. Thank you very much I got my mind cleared in some cases.

PSU you suggest is great and in stock Item.
But, as for card. At my near store there're 250 available to buy but it's a problem again, they've EVGA 250 for 512mb and INNO3D for 1GB the producer you linked to isn't available their. :( 

Also, I gave a though of buying 250GTS before. Just saying, though.

...and yes, I'll be able to spend some more cash if it requires.

Edit: Someone also suggest me 4850 and is it fine for gaming purpose.?
What do you think if I replace the word "budget" to "best" card (the max which my pc specs can support for gaming). :) 

These are the last question which I've in my mind.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 8:30:42 AM

guest911 said:

Thanks.

If you're looking at crossfire in the future, you need to consider a 650W+ psu. There's a corsair on newegg CMPSU-650TX running around $90:

This can get you ready for a low-power crossfire setup one day. If you go crossfire with one of the higher power, most modern cards, you'll definitely need more power (850W+). My PSU hits 700-750W (I've just begun measuring the power consumption) during heavy duty processing in Medal of Honor with two 580s in SLI.

According to the AMD crossfire chart:

http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Il...

you can run a 5450 HD in crossfire mode using software crossfire. The problem is most manufacturers have decided to design their 5450s without support for crossfire technology. Unless you want to venture into the $110-140 range and look at a 5750 or 5770 (considered entry-level gaming cards), you won't have to worry about crossfire or a power supply that facilitates this technology.

There is no power supply connection requirement for the 5450 cards. 5450s don't have any heavy-duty power requirement and receive their power from the PCIe slot. The power supply Davcon suggested will work just fine with this card. I'd recommend a 5450 for an HTPC as it has sub-par 3d processing. I actually use one of these for my HTPC.

A PCIe 2.1 video card will run fine in a 2.0 slot.

Given all the information we've provided, if I were you, I'd go with the power supply I've suggested (or at least something from a reputable company 500W+ - as the power requirement spec says for most cards with some gaming capability) and try to go for a more powerful single card such as the 5750 or 5770. I know your limit is $100 for each item, so you might go lower on power to go higher on a single graphics card configuration.
m
l
March 8, 2011 3:05:37 PM

Good idea. I'll go with less watts power supply to save some amount of money and invest saved money into card.

Quote:
Edit: Someone also suggest me 4850 and is it fine for gaming purpose.?
What do you think if I replace the word "budget" to "best" card (the max which my pc specs can support for gaming).

But here I hold myself of doing anything maybe someone made me double minded. :( 
Please, can you answer that question too? :) 

I'm concerned about ATI 4850 because it's been a long time since it's release but it's prices are still not decreased (maybe it's because it's good and worth it and also people too are willing to pay the price) while if you look at 5770 it's come down in prices 20usd or so..
Although 4850 is indeed a 512mb card. :) 

I wanna keep my system an average gaming rig. As soon as I get some good amount of money I'll definitely come back in future.

Greetings. Sorry for long post.
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 7:02:13 PM

the ATI 4850 and Nvidia GTS 250 have similar performance so get the cheaper one. with the 1GB and 512mb cards, the 1GB are slightly better but not by a significant mark like more powerful cards.
m
l
March 9, 2011 2:25:31 AM

Which one should I get plz rank them one by one Asus, HFX, HIS, INNO3D, EVGA?
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 2:44:34 AM

guest911 said:
Which one should I get plz rank them one by one Asus, HFX, HIS, INNO3D, EVGA?

get the one that offers the features you like best be it a better cooler, better warranty, better price, free game, etc.,

ive owned cards from evga, asus, and xfx. never had an issue with them.
m
l
March 9, 2011 5:29:19 AM

Best answer selected by guest911.
m
l
March 9, 2011 5:29:29 AM

m
l
!