Sign in with
Your question

BIOS Problem?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 26, 2012 5:22:56 PM

Thanks for any help you can give. I am unable to boot my son's hp P6210f as it goes to one screen and only occasionally shows hardware. I purchased the restore disks from HP and have tried to get that going but once the first disk starts loading the computer locks up with an I/O error. I am assuming this is due to the BIOS. Is there a way to reset the bios or re-flash the bios from a DOS Boot? Secondly where would I find the bios for this board? It is a Pegatron M2N78-LA by ASUS I believe and I can not find an original bios for it from HP or ASUS. Can you put me on track with this? Or recommend a new motherboard for this HP? It has been a good machine for me over the past two years, and now it is having this problem.

Best regards,
John Metzinger

More about : bios problem

April 27, 2012 4:37:18 AM

If you go to this webpage:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=e...
cpoy/paste it into your URL address bar, near the bottom there's a list with a '+' next to each item.
Scroll down the "Clearing the BIOS settings"
Follow the instructions and it will clear your BIOS back to it's basics.
Hope this helps friend.

All the best
Noah
May 1, 2012 1:24:53 AM

noahscorp said:
cpoy/paste it into your URL address bar, near the bottom there's a list with a '+' next to each item.
Hope this helps friend.

All the best
Noah

Noah, I have that information but it doesn't tell you where the jumper is and I have tried for hours to find it. The only jumper that pertains to BIOS is the BIOS DEBUG set of pins. If that is what you think is the jumper set is there a way of finding out which pins to jump out? Sadly, the paper from HP doesn't give that information. Thanks again

John
Related resources
May 1, 2012 1:32:25 AM

noahscorp said:
Hope this helps friend.

All the best
Noah

Noah,
If you go to that same page you will see a + sign for internal connectors. It states there are a set of pins for resetting and a set for resetting the password. The one you are referencing is the password reset. Please get back to me on my prior post if you can. thanks.
May 11, 2012 1:06:12 PM

jmetz said:
Thanks for any help you can give. I am unable to boot my son's hp P6210f as it goes to one screen and only occasionally shows hardware. I purchased the restore disks from HP and have tried to get that going but once the first disk starts loading the computer locks up with an I/O error. I am assuming this is due to the BIOS. Is there a way to reset the bios or re-flash the bios from a DOS Boot? Secondly where would I find the bios for this board? It is a Pegatron M2N78-LA by ASUS I believe and I can not find an original bios for it from HP or ASUS. Can you put me on track with this? Or recommend a new motherboard for this HP? It has been a good machine for me over the past two years, and now it is having this problem.

Best regards,
John Metzinger

It helped, but running into other problems now. Doesn't seem to be with BIOS. Will let you know what happens. Thanks for the previous help.

Regards,
John
a c 111 Ĉ ASUS
a c 431 V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 9:00:57 PM

john if the hard drive is not spinning or the controller on the drive has gone bad you get the disk i/o error at power up. easy test it put your hand on the hard drive it should spin up and stay spinning. if it spins un and then power down and spin up there an issue with the drive. some time it can be the mb chipset but they fail far less. if you dont goet the message but a black screen with a stuck blinking curser then something hanging the mb at post.
May 14, 2012 10:40:43 PM

Smorizio, Thanks for your input, but that is not the case. I have several HD's and all give me the same error. New DVD ROM and the system disks are also in hand, but I continue to get the error. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
May 14, 2012 10:44:29 PM

One other thing I should mention is that I have the 640gb drive that came with the system, and it will get to the starting windows screen before the I/O error.
!