Inspiron 1545 touchpad issues

Turner_41

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hello,
Before it went to the shop, I thought I had virus problem. But after they cleaned up some infections, replaced a bad hard drive,replaced and reinstalled VISTA, drivers, updates, etc. My touchpad still malfunctions intermitantly. When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, it is very slow to respond to touch, stopps and hangs up, then clicks on whatever is there where it stopped, clicks on things I am only passing over, some left/right click actions come into play; yet it WON'T click on something I'm trying to select. So many odd things it does. I live in remote area with only generator. The laptop runs on an AIMS pure sine wave 300w inverter when all this is happening. It runs on it's own battery or the generator (which has it's own inverter)when it has less trouble. Sometimes even no trouble! My husband's HP Pavillion g series has some of this trouble but not near the extent. Sound like power source issue? Thanks

Turner_41

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

I was doing that at first, and not seeing too many programs running that I didn't recognize - seems like a normal background load (for what it's worth, as I am a beginner at this stuff) I stopped looking when it got to happening so much I just get disgusted and shut down. Also, I confess that along those lines, my hard drive is 500GB and there is 4GB RAM so I am not thinking about/expecting overload issues. Have I been assuming too much? Thanks for answering

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Did you click into the Performance tab to see what percentage of the CPU is being used? For a laptop, a 500GB hard drive and 4 GB of RAM is pretty high on specs so I don't believe you'll ever reach the max.

Turner_41

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

There's an oversight. I just watched it for a few seconds and it's running between 6 and 26 percent. I need to remember now to look when I'm having trouble, but I do agree I'd have a hard time reaching my max. I am not having any touchpad issues at the moment. Laptop is plugged in directly to generator and battery is a 99%.

Turner_41

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
It looks like these touchpad issues are related to low battery. As long as I'm running on generator power, everything is fine. But if I am in the laptop battery or the big battery via invertor, as soon as battery goes down, my troubles start.