Replaced MB - Reboots every 30 seconds.

Hardwired1979

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I have a home built system that I reciently changed the MB in. All components (except MB) are known good and working fine prior to the swap.

When I fired it up the first time I got 2 Reboots about 10 seconds apart with no video. Finally it posted and I was able to get into the BIOS and only adjusted my boot order so I could boot from CDROM and reinstall windows.

Rebooted and it looked good. Started windows setup and oops, putin my vista CD instead of XP, so I swapped them, and rebooted again.

On reboot my video would not come up. No signal. Then after about 20 seconds the PC would reboot, rinse repeate.

What should I check first? All power seems to be fine, CPU was seated well and the heatsink looks good with perfect thermal paste spread evenly. Not sure what the issue could be.

Gigabyte G41M-Combo MB
Intel 2.66ghz Duo Core CPU
Corsair Dominator 1066 memory.
700w Thermaltake PSU

striker410

Distinguished
Did you backup then format your HDD? this needs to be done every time you change the motherboard, as the windows install ties itself to the motherboard. Try backing up the hard drive, formating it, and doing a fresh install.

Hardwired1979

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I replaced my 2 dimms of memory with same model spares and im able to boot again.

Unfortunately now its giving me a stop message after windows setup begins loading files, the error identifies pci.sys.

Th only PCI device I have is my gtx8800 video card, is this a gpu memory issue?

striker410

Distinguished

Could you look at my other post please?

TRENDING THREADS