Sign in with
Your question

Memory or possible mobo issue

Last response: in Memory
April 26, 2012 5:40:58 PM

gigabyte p67a, intel i2500k, nvidia gtx 460, 8 gigs mushkin ram, antec power supply, win7. So i was having weird issues while gaming and my graphics started artifacting, so I tried multiple graphics drivers and it didn't fix anything. I figured it was my graphics card but i went ahead and ran memtest86 like I usually do when troubleshooting.

I have 2 sticks of 4 gig ram and when I ran them together and individually every time I got infinite errors. My computer then started bsoding and became basically unusable. So i assumed it was the ram and rma'd it. I just got my new ram today and it is doing exactly the same thing with the infinite errors. I can only assume it's a problem with my motherboard, or I got unlucky with 4 sticks of bad ram. Any ideas?

More about : memory mobo issue

April 26, 2012 6:10:36 PM

1st thing I would do in a situation like this is strip the system down to a basic setup. Nothing plugged in except 1 stick of ram, video card ( a spare if you have one to rule out a bad card), HD, cpu, and see if the system will remain stable long enough for your to run your tests.

Also - I would reccomend that you Reset all the values in your bios to default or optimized values * usually F7*. You can also do this via jumpers, but refer to your mobo manual for exact instructions.

Next, you need to rule out wheter the issue is system incompatiblity between the mobo and ram or there is something else wrong with the board, but I highly doubt you have 4 bad sticks of ram.

You should probably save yourself some time and see if the ram you purchased is even supported by your baord. I'm pretty sure gigabyte's support section has a manual with a table showing all of the types and brands supported- I would comapre your model of memmory to that list.

Note that artifacts generally are caused when a graphics card overheats, so you may need to check the Video card as well to see if the heatsink assembly is properly making contact with the GPU and that it's getting proper airflow in the case.

Hope this helps.
m
l
April 26, 2012 6:33:30 PM

Can you try the gpu on other sistem, to check that isnt a graphic card problem? And also, did you try the sistem whitout the video card?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
April 26, 2012 6:38:32 PM

is the BIOS set for the correct RAM voltage?
m
l
April 26, 2012 7:01:35 PM

Yes, the ram timing and voltage are correct. No, I don't have a computer to test the graphics card on, but why would a bad graphics card report errors in memtest?
m
l
April 26, 2012 10:29:06 PM

campbullard said:
gigabyte p67a, intel i2500k, nvidia gtx 460, 8 gigs mushkin ram, antec power supply, win7. So i was having weird issues while gaming and my graphics started artifacting, so I tried multiple graphics drivers and it didn't fix anything. I also stress tested the graphics card and it seemed fine.I figured it was my graphics card but i went ahead and ran memtest86 like I usually do when troubleshooting.

I have 2 sticks of 4 gig ram and when I ran them together and individually every time I got infinite errors. My computer then started bsoding and became basically unusable. So i assumed it was the ram and rma'd it. I just got my new ram today and it is doing exactly the same thing with the infinite errors. I can only assume it's a problem with my motherboard, or I got unlucky with 4 sticks of bad ram. Any ideas?

m
l
!