Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading a Intel Core i5 750 2.67GHz which cpu do i get?

Last response: in CPUs
August 9, 2011 11:16:42 PM

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz is my current cpu but i want something with a bit more kick heres a link to a benchmark http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5+7...

If people could list all options with no limits on prices. Thanks
August 9, 2011 11:46:29 PM

The I7-2600k is the best processor out there right now. You will need a new motherboard as well since it is a Socket 1155 and your current MB/CPU is 1156. You have a pretty potent CPU already though. It is extremely overclock friendly. Have you thought about spending 30 bucks or so on some aftermarket cooling like the Hyper 212+ and trying your hand at it? The I5 750 and 760 are notorious for having a lot of overclocking leg room.
Related resources
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 118 å Intel
August 9, 2011 11:54:23 PM

The i5-2500k should suffice for most people since games and most programs people use do not make use of hyper threading.

Don't forget the price of a socket 1156 motherboard.
August 10, 2011 12:14:37 AM

jaguarskx said:
The i5-2500k should suffice for most people since games and most programs people use do not make use of hyper threading.

Don't forget the price of a socket 1156 motherboard.

Agreed. I guess the best question would be, what piece of software is running so slowly that you feel you need an upgrade?
August 10, 2011 12:45:07 AM

i'm scared to overclock, is it simple to do, i saw something about overclocking in the mobo bios.
I have my pc on about 12 hours of the day, not with me sitting on it though lol So i'm scared of it overheating and blowing up.
Well as jaguar will know i'm planning to upgrade my graphics card for HD movies etc, might play some ps2 games on the ps3 emulator. Mostly my pc usage is internet, e-mail, blu-rays, full true HD video files, mp3s, audacity sound editing, video editing, transcoding HD video files from my blu-rays and mp4s for my ipad, also use mkmerge for HD videos and burning dvds. Thats about it lol Might start playing some pc games aswell.
August 10, 2011 12:48:42 AM

oops meant ps2 emulator lol.
What kind of cooling do you recommend, at the mo ive got 2 fans on the side, 1 bigger fan at each end and theres a big block of the cpu. not sure what kinda colling the big block is, i want to try and avoid water cooling at all costs.
a c 341 à CPUs
a b å Intel
August 10, 2011 1:01:54 AM

phoenix85 said:
i'm scared to overclock, is it simple to do, i saw something about overclocking in the mobo bios.
I have my pc on about 12 hours of the day, not with me sitting on it though lol So i'm scared of it overheating and blowing up.
Well as jaguar will know i'm planning to upgrade my graphics card for HD movies etc, might play some ps2 games on the ps3 emulator. Mostly my pc usage is internet, e-mail, blu-rays, full true HD video files, mp3s, audacity sound editing, video editing, transcoding HD video files from my blu-rays and mp4s for my ipad, also use mkmerge for HD videos and burning dvds. Thats about it lol Might start playing some pc games aswell.

For your usage, I don't think you need more cpu power.

1) How much ram do you have? 8gb would probably help. Here is a study on 8gb:
http://blog.corsair.com/?p=65

2) The most noticeable improvement would come from getting a SSD for the os and frequently used apps. Plan on $2 per gb for a 80gb to 120gb unit.

3) Oc is easy for you. In the bios, just change the BCLK parameter up by a small amount. Leave everything else on auto. If you don't fool with voltages, you can get a safe overclock. Test for stability using prime95. Run it with rounding checking long enough to reach maximum temperatures. If you get no errors, you are stable. In normal usage, the stress will be much less. If the cpu gets overloaded, it will reduce the multiplier to protect itself.

4) A aftermarket cooler is a good idea regardless. It will keep your cpu cooler and quieter than the stock intel cooler. If you OC, you can go higher and easier.
It need not be expensive. You can get a Xigmatek gaia, or a cm hyper212 for about $30.

5) Have you activated speed step? It will put your cpu in a lower power state untill it has work to do.
August 10, 2011 1:09:57 AM

geofelt said:
How much ram do you have? 8gb would probably help

i've 4GB at the mo.

geofelt said:
The most noticeable improvement would come from getting a SSD for the os and frequently used apps. Plan on $2 per gb for a 80gb to 120gb unit.

SSD?

geofelt said:
A aftermarket cooler is a good idea regardless.

can i take a picture of the cpu coller and upload here for you guys to look at? will that help?
geofelt said:
Have you activated speed step? It will put your cpu in a lower power state untill it has work to do.

i haven't done this.

Thanks for all replies so far, this is really helping as i'm nervous about upgrading the pc as it is :S
August 10, 2011 1:12:30 AM

i've just noticed a AC Arctic Cooling badge/sticker on the front of the pc?? if that helps
August 10, 2011 1:15:49 AM

4 case fans should be more than enough. Especially if you don't have a lot of graphics power creating heat. The 2600k wouldn't be overkill for you in your application. Overclocking is pretty easy. Just up the Bclk, lower the Ram ratio to keep it within spec, and add voltage to the Cpu Vcore as necessary to keep it from crashing your system. You can get a mild overclock (10%) without messing with voltages probably. Anything more than that will probably start requiring bumps to the voltage. It's not a bad time to try your hand at overclocking since the worst you can you is kill your CPU, assuming you don't mess around with a bunch of the other voltages, which you are looking at replacing anyways. I like the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ as it's cheap and effective. You can hop over to frostytech.com for a list of better coolers and reviews if you want something more potent.
Here's a link to a overclocking guide.
http://apcmag.com/overclocking-101-our-step-by-step-gui...
Worst thing that happens is that the overclock doesn't satisfy you and you end up with a cooler that is compatible with an 1155 system that will run cooler and quieter than the stock heat sink.
a c 341 à CPUs
a b å Intel
August 10, 2011 1:16:37 AM

phoenix85 said:
i've just noticed a AC Arctic Cooling badge/sticker on the front of the pc?? if that helps

It sounds like you have some sort of aftermarket cooler, either for the cpu or graphics card. From a pre built system?

A SSD is a solid state drive. It is about 10x faster than a hard drive in random access(what the os does) and 2x in sequential access.

Extra ram will keep most of what you need in ram, ready for rapid access. You will need a 64bit os to access all of it.
August 10, 2011 1:17:28 AM

Where did you buy the computer from? It sounds like you might already have aftermarket cooling which is common at a lot of boutique sellers.
August 10, 2011 1:32:08 AM

i will have a read of the overclocking and try my hand at it.

masseybe84 said:
Where did you buy the computer from? It sounds like you might already have aftermarket cooling which is common at a lot of boutique sellers.

i bought it from a guy on ebay, drove to london and bought it off him in a dingy looking office place, felt very shady! lol like lock stock or long good friday haha :D 

Should i quickly open up the pc and see if it has any markings?
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2011 2:07:24 AM

The i5-750 isn't that hard to overclock. You should be able to get between 3.5GHz and 3.9GHz out of it. I've built 3 of them, 2 I got to 3.9GHz pretty easily, the third one was only reliable at 3.8GHz, and I'm not an expert at overclocking that chip.
August 10, 2011 2:41:36 AM

If you want you can take a picture of it and I'll see what it is. Any kind of aftermarket cooling setup will work for a lower overclock though. It's when you are pushing near 4.0ghz that you need something substantial.
August 10, 2011 3:04:36 AM

i open it and saw writing on the fan of the block it said Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2 with the arctic cooling logo
August 10, 2011 3:11:34 AM

Check you temps before you over clock, a picture of your cooler might help.
I thought you might be interested to know that I have the same CPU @ 3.6GHz, I get a pass mark of just over 6000.

Proof

You might want to clean your pc, especially if the heat-sinks are blocked
August 10, 2011 3:23:13 AM

Gamer-girl said:
Check you temps before you over clock, a picture of your cooler might help.
I thought you might be interested to know that I have the same CPU @ 3.6Hz, I get a pass mark of just over 6000.

Proof
http://i53.tinypic.com/28tkr2f.jpg

You might want to clean your pc, especially if the heat-sinks are blocked

thanks you that is helpful to know i could overclock to that much :) 
i'll get a picture up tomorrow for you all to see just so i know i'm doing the right thing. ive linked to sites with the stock pictures of it.

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=4.%3F
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-Rev-2-Co...
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...

also thermal paste dont dry out does it :S as this is a second hand pc...
August 10, 2011 3:31:48 AM

Actually some chips can go to 4.2GHz but I didn't want to raise the voltage of mine so it would last longer (plan to reuse it when i upgrade). Also I would not recommend trying to go 4GHz + on that cooler.

You could always get some new thermal paste, it is not that expensive.

August 10, 2011 3:39:52 AM

so with this cooler how high would you go? like 3GHz?
i was asking about the thermal paste as im nervous about going anywhere the cpu, i tried to build a pc a few years back and never installed the cpu right, it kept crashing, blue screen of death etc... :(  Thanks
August 10, 2011 3:53:42 AM

If you aren't comfortable removing the heatsink then don't. It will only improve the temps by a few degrees most likely. The AC Rev 7 isn't a bad cooler but I don't think I would push the voltage past 1.35-1.375 area. It's all based on the cooling of the case and your room temperature as well of course. I would definitely clean out the heatsink and fans though. It's always good practice. I usually clean my heatsink and fans with some compressed air about once a month.
Check the max temps with the overclock using Prime95 to stress it and monitor the temps with HWmonitor or something similar.
August 10, 2011 3:55:57 AM

Just try a BCLK of 166 first like in this article then run prime 95 for a couple of hours and check the temp, if they are too high or if the computer crashes then just lower the BCLK. If your temps are fine and you have headroom then increase BCKL
August 10, 2011 3:02:30 PM

ive heard that some mobo can auto overclock, im sure i saw something about it in the bios, i could take a pic of the bios and see what you guys think i'll also upload the cpu cooler pic. i used CPUID CPU-Z and noticed when idle the cpu speed goes way down, then stick some programs on with a hd movie, minesweeper a couple of net tabs and the cpu speed goes way up over 3GHz???
August 10, 2011 8:01:10 PM

Asus boards have the feature. It should be on the MB software/drivers disc. It's called ASUS Turbo5 and is a program that runs in windows. I prefer the bios solution myself but if you don't want to be bothered with the hassle software solutions are a lot easier to navigate. Here's a link to the MB manufacturer page in case you don't have the manual or cd. I've never used Turbo Key but it has that functionality as well. All up to you really.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7H5...
August 10, 2011 9:43:10 PM

I think it's the fact I have the pc on 12 hours a day so I don't want it even hotter than it needs to be as I've only put money aside for everything except the CPU lol I'll put a pic on in the next hour of the cooler in the pc, I've linked to stock photos and specs for the cooler aswell.
August 11, 2011 12:53:45 AM

I prefer BIOs to turbo.

They have an option called "Intel SpeedStep" in the bios - make sure you enabled this, it will automatically adjust the CPU speed. My CPU only goes to 1.6GHz while only using a web browser.

It will adjust the speed to your maxing out at whatever level you overclocked your CPU. This will be helpful unless you actually utilize 100% CPU usage for those 12 hours.
August 11, 2011 3:43:44 AM

So you use speedstep?
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 4:22:46 AM

I agree in principle with what you guys are saying about overclocking. BUT........its not everyones cup of tea for a variety of reasons. At least not traditional reference clock overclocking. I will overclock the hell out of an unlocked multiplier. I don't like messing with other settings though. Perhaps the poster falls into this category.

If so, and you were to pursue the new processor route, I would suggest the Intel Core i7-875K. Its the same socket you currently use, so no money wasted on a new board. It has an unlocked multiplier, so its super easy to OC, no matter how squeamish overclocking makes you. You just increase the multiplier as high as it will let you go. If you make a mistake, no harm done as long as you don't increase voltage. 4 ghz or close should be obtainable on stock voltage.

Whichever direction you choose, I see no reason to change boards. At this juncture, there is not enough advantage in the newer chips to justify the added expense.
August 11, 2011 7:22:38 AM

phoenix85 said:
So you use speedstep?

Yes
August 11, 2011 11:12:00 PM

Gamer-girl said:
Yes

well ive got the same cpu as you but i haven't overclocked it so would you recommened i use this feature aswell? when its on over night its just literally a torrent program and maybe jdownloader running.
then for the rest of the 12 hours i might have a game or 2 and watch HD movies.
August 12, 2011 2:47:34 AM

you should because:

A: you use less power overnight
B: less power = less heat
C: It would automatically adjust to the max if/when you need it so no performance difference.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2011 4:02:51 AM

An overclocked cpu with a good aftermarket cooler can run cooler than a cpu running at stock speed with its stock cooler.

Speedstep helps because it lets the cpu run slower when not under a load.
August 12, 2011 4:49:51 AM

cadder said:
An overclocked cpu with a good aftermarket cooler can run cooler than a cpu running at stock speed with its stock cooler.

Speedstep helps because it lets the cpu run slower when not under a load.

lets settle this once and for all, this is my cpu cooler http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=4.%3F and i'm using an Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz, gamergirl has pushed hers to 3.6GHz, so what do i push mine too, im useless at this so, is it just voltage and speed i need to change, also speedstep lowers your cpu when idle but when being used its pushed to the max (the max being 2.67GHz normal speed for me and 3.6GHz for gamergirl with her over clocked one for example)?
i'm gonna go to the bios now and make sure speedstep is on.
ive got a temp lcd on the fron tof my pc its usually around 25-35c mark, not sure if this is the overall pc temp or just the cpu.
August 12, 2011 1:33:54 PM

Gamer-girl said:
Just try a BCLK of 166 first like in this article then run prime 95 for a couple of hours and check the temp, if they are too high or if the computer crashes then just lower the BCLK. If your temps are fine and you have headroom then increase BCKL

Use this article. It tells you exactly what to change. BCLK and Vcore are the to things that are primarily messed with. If your NorthBridge gets above 2500 change the HT Link multiplier to a lower number or bump the voltage a little bit of the NB. Temps are tested via Prime95. The only thing that matters before you test temps is that it boots to windows. If it doesn't or you get a lot of artifacts or strange operation either lower the BCLK or raise the Vcore up to but not higher than 1.4v. That's my own safe spot for 45nm processors. Check temps with HWmonitor while running Prime95. That front temp display is case temperature. You should be looking at a Max of 75C while stressing it and 60-65C during your normal use.
!