Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How can I find out what cpu my wg43m motherboard will take

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 9, 2011 11:19:01 PM

I am trying to find out what processors my WG43M motherboard will accept. I have an Intel core 2 Quad core Q8300 2.5 GHz now but need as much processing power as possible for the multi tracking music software I use the computer to run.
I'm at a max 8 GB RAM. I can find no cpu info on this mobo anywhere.
Thank you.
August 9, 2011 11:27:17 PM

Could this be it?: Motherboard: Manufacturer: Gateway Model:WG43M North Bridge: Intel P45/P43 A3 South Bridge: Intel 82801JR(ICH10R Revision A3 CPU Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @2.50GHz CPU Socket: Socket 775 LGA
August 17, 2011 5:51:02 AM

Engima said:
Could this be it?: Motherboard: Manufacturer: Gateway Model:WG43M North Bridge: Intel P45/P43 A3 South Bridge: Intel 82801JR(ICH10R Revision A3 CPU Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @2.50GHz CPU Socket: Socket 775 LGA



Thanks for the interest Enigma. This is a description of a computer with the same mother board (different hardware otherwise) but it is the same mother board. Yours is the first answer I've seen so far but yet still leaves me not knowing if there are a few choices for a more powerful processor than the one I've already got. I got an idea that there only may be one other processor that is more powerful than the Q8300 I'm running now and it's an Intel core 2 Quad core Q9650 3.0 GHz W/12MB cache .
The nasty part about this little guy is that for some reason it's expensive. $300 plus just for the unit unless I can find it somewhere for a better price.

I guess the platform 775 socket is the reason I can't get into the newer powerful less expensive I5 or I7 series even though the mobo is onlt two years old. But hey that's computers these days.

I would do well to have invested some serious time into learning more about over clocking I guess but I just want to work with the machine more than I want to work on the machine lol.
Related resources

Best solution

August 19, 2011 11:16:33 PM
Share

Friguy_98 said:
Thank you jahpickney!! That is a much better price than anything I found anywhere else.
G

for some reason, they seem to be out of stock now, they cancelled my order!!!!!!
August 20, 2011 2:28:10 AM

jahpickney said:
for some reason, they seem to be out of stock now, they cancelled my order!!!!!!



Really? Did they actually say that was the reason or did they just cancel and say nothing? I'm asking because I'm wondering if they may have said they are getting more stock to you in the process or something.

They also may have been bought out as well by someone wanting to try and make some money by reselling them for even a hundred more as I still didn't see anywhere else with a better deal or even close.
G
August 20, 2011 1:25:32 PM

Friguy_98 said:
Really? Did they actually say that was the reason or did they just cancel and say nothing? I'm asking because I'm wondering if they may have said they are getting more stock to you in the process or something.

They also may have been bought out as well by someone wanting to try and make some money by reselling them for even a hundred more as I still didn't see anywhere else with a better deal or even close.
G


They said it was back ordered so they cancelled it, but when you click on the link, it doesn't exist anymore. It sucks cause I just upgraded my gpu and my psu, and it would hurt to pay 300 + for this when I could get an i7 for that price. But I would have to upgrade my motherboard and I really dont feel like installing my os and programs over again. The Q9550 is another alternative but it is expensive as well. I will continue the search, for something below 200.
August 20, 2011 1:39:09 PM

jahpickney said:
They said it was back ordered so they cancelled it, but when you click on the link, it doesn't exist anymore. It sucks cause I just upgraded my gpu and my psu, and it would hurt to pay 300 + for this when I could get an i7 for that price. But I would have to upgrade my motherboard and I really dont feel like installing my os and programs over again. The Q9550 is another alternative but it is expensive as well. I will continue the search, for something below 200.




That exactly where I'm at and I'm perplexed as to why these cpu's are still so expensive. I guess it's to try and force us into buying everything new again. Dirty pool if you ask me.
G
August 21, 2011 12:57:33 AM

Friguy_98 said:
That exactly where I'm at and I'm perplexed as to why these cpu's are still so expensive. I guess it's to try and force us into buying everything new again. Dirty pool if you ask me.
G


Now check this out, the same company that cancelled my order has re-posted the processor on their website,

http://www.printsavings.com/0899104914OP/box-core-2-qua...

I guess someone got wise to my order and cancelled it in order so they can make more money. That should be illegal. I would really like to speak to someone there and give them a piece of my mind. They should sell me and friguy_98 the processors for the original posted price of 150 instead of 449!!!!!
August 21, 2011 2:01:11 AM

jahpickney said:
Now check this out, the same company that cancelled my order has re-posted the processor on their website,

http://www.printsavings.com/0899104914OP/box-core-2-qua...

I guess someone got wise to my order and cancelled it in order so they can make more money. That should be illegal. I would really like to speak to someone there and give them a piece of my mind. They should sell me and friguy_98 the processors for the original posted price of 150 instead of 449!!!!!




That's insane!! They cranked it up past the price of everyone else so now they won't sell any. And of course it won't do any good to let them know how wrong this all is cause they don't care and they obviously don't know what they're doing.
Well thanks for the help. I'll keep looking for a reasonable price. Actually I did find it for around $280.00 but I haven't bookmarked it or anything yet as I think it should still be less than that somewhere. But I can let you know where if you'd like.
I'm just thinking you have probably found it for that kind of price as well.
Friguy
August 24, 2011 1:35:10 AM

Friguy_98 said:
That's insane!! They cranked it up past the price of everyone else so now they won't sell any. And of course it won't do any good to let them know how wrong this all is cause they don't care and they obviously don't know what they're doing.
Well thanks for the help. I'll keep looking for a reasonable price. Actually I did find it for around $280.00 but I haven't bookmarked it or anything yet as I think it should still be less than that somewhere. But I can let you know where if you'd like.
I'm just thinking you have probably found it for that kind of price as well.
Friguy


Found a qx9650 refurb for $250.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Extreme-QX9650-3GH...
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2011 3:36:16 AM

As far as what your motherboard supports, if it supports Core2Quad, it will support EVERY Core2-based CPU all the way up to the QX9770.

I see that you're now feeling the pain of having chosen socket 775 over socket AM2+ because Intel's products are ridiculously overpriced. If you want to upgrade to something more powerful and keep it around $200, I would recommend the following:
CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T: $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard - ASRock A770DE+: $61.55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Yes, the total is $211.55 but that's the best deal you're going to find out there. More importantly, you'll have a BRAND-NEW motherboard with a BRAND-NEW CPU that is designed specifically to handle highly-threaded applications like your multi-tracking music software. I mean, let's face it. Your Q8300 is slightly weaker than my Phenom II X4 940 Deneb so for this highly-threaded application, the Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban should be a significant increase in performance. I chose the A770DE+ because it supports DDR2 RAM which I'm guessing is what you use. If you use DDR3, then my recommendation would shift to the ASRock M3A770DE+ which is about the same price. You don't need to completely re-install your OS, a simple Windows repair will have it working with your new hardware (if it even needs that). I switched from a super high-end MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard with the astonishing AMD 790FX northbridge to the rather lowly (by comaprison) ECS IC780GM-A with the AMD 770 northbridge and Windows 7 Ultimate x64 didn't bat an eyelid. Windows XP Pro did need a windows repair but all is well and I lost nothing. Here's another thing to think about. Had you chosen Phenom II X4 over Core2Quad, not only would you have paid less for a more powerful CPU, you would have paid less for a motherboard that only had USB 2.0 on it (instead of USB 1.0 and 2.0) and you'd be dropping that Phenom II X6 CPU in right now without even a second thought. Maybe choosing Intel wasn't a good idea. :sol: 
September 3, 2011 2:07:41 AM

Best answer selected by Friguy_98.
!