HP a6000 memory upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpaulbell

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
My wife doesn't want me to install a new motherboard and processor. I know the stock motherboard has ddr2 333 memory in it. I have researched around the web and can find no answer about ddr2 800 being compatible.

If it isn't I'll just have to wait until the stock motherboard dies and then make improvements. I have already replaced the power supply (Antec ECO 450), a Silenx EFFIZIO case fan, and graphics card (Gigabyte GT520). I have a AMD Phenom 1055t waiting for a new motherboard also.

Solution
^definitely :)

As for the case, I find that strange, but hey, I have a wife with her own strange requests. :) But I'm just thinking that you can find very nice looking cases out there, that probably look better than the HP - something conservative and nice looking in a front room. (e.g., Antec P280, not the only case like that out there).

Also, I'm pushing the issue, because not all OEM cases take standard ATX motherboards. Sometimes they've done something custom. And/or the case is a nightmare pulling systemboards. If you've done your homework on this front, then maybe all will be ok, but just want to highlight the chance.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
See if you can find the more detailed model number (probably on the back or top of the tower).

Crucial supports 667 and 800 in a variant of that system (a610n). The 800 will slow down to 667.
http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+Compaq-memory/Pavilion+A6000+Series/Pavilion+a6010n-upgrades.html

DD2 333 is more often named DDR2 667 (333MHz @ double data rate = 333 x 2 = 667.)

As for new motherboard and CPU, build a new system. Don't reuse the HP case (and you have most of the parts already - GPU/PSU, etc... just don't reuse that HP case! :) )

ddpaulbell

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
My wife doesn't want a new case because she likes the way the HP looks. I'm doing my best to meet her wishes. She has consented to change MB and CPU. So we are making progress.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005

And SSD?

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
^definitely :)

As for the case, I find that strange, but hey, I have a wife with her own strange requests. :) But I'm just thinking that you can find very nice looking cases out there, that probably look better than the HP - something conservative and nice looking in a front room. (e.g., Antec P280, not the only case like that out there).

Also, I'm pushing the issue, because not all OEM cases take standard ATX motherboards. Sometimes they've done something custom. And/or the case is a nightmare pulling systemboards. If you've done your homework on this front, then maybe all will be ok, but just want to highlight the chance.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.