32GB CORSAIR DominatorGT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 in ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME?

tomazos

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi all,

I have the following barebones workstation setup:

ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME (X79)
■ Intel i7 3930X
■ Linux 64-bit

and I would like to install 32GB of top-of-the-line RAM with as much performance as possible (budget around $500).

I am considering getting 2 x (4x4GB) kits of:

2 x
CORSAIR Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9
(4 x 4GB, DDR3-DIMM, PC3-17060 (2133MHz), CL9-9-9-24, heatspreader • Intel XMP)

How can I determine whether this configuration will be compatible with my motherboard? (And if it is what frequency will the RAM run at?)

Thanks,
Andrew.

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

4GB/stick density at rather high frequency is very 'doable' but I have some lingering doubts using XMP, I've seen it both ways. Manually shouldn't be a problem. More than likely you'll need to raise the DRAM Voltage to 1.55v~1.60v, and both the VCCSA & CPUVTT to 1.20v then the DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-2133 and you can try the Rated CAS Timings of 9-11-10-27-2N failure try a more standardized JEDEC of 10-10-10-30-2N.

Both the Dominator and GT's are very robust sticks with excellent handpicked IC's so your chances are very good. Frankly, 9/10 you can exceed the Rated values and XMP even with (2) kits has a solid chance. At least I offered you some options to try if needed.

The RAM is very compatible with your R4E, and the only issues is mixing together (2) sets expecting (1) set tested and Rated performance.

Bottom-line, nice kits and you sure could do worst.

tomazos

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
So I got the RAM and installed it, but it only recognizes 24GB. I experimented by removing dimms and swapping dimms to see if I could find a pattern.

It turns out the innermost two slots ( the ones closest to the CPU) will not recognize the dimms. That is whether they are empty or not has no effect on the total memory. If I put a single dimm alone in an outer slot, it will boot and see 4G as expected. If I move the same dimm to one of the two innermost slots, it will not boot. Similiar results with other amounts of full/empty slots.

I thought it must be a hardware fault with the motherboard, but someone suggested that this ram may only be compatible with six of the eight dimm slots.

I have loged a technical support request with ASUS. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

On 'prior' MOBO's often Memory Protect' could limit you to ~24GB, but the only time I ever see that happen on X79's is either: 1. BIOS settings with insufficient voltage and or load control, 2. Bad DIMM slots (aka bad MOBO), 3. Bad stick(s) of RAM, 4. Grounding short (breadboard). Only certain DIMM slots 'can work' so you simply can 'test' 1xDIMM at a time -- the tests are meaningless. See this image for proper DIMM slots - http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/ASUS_Quad_Channel.gif

Keep in mind you ARE mixing (2) sets together, and XMP & standard voltages may NOT work as they would for a single set.

Did you increase the DRAM (both of them Ch AB & CD), CPUVTT and VCCSA as stated above?

BIOS:
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP
DRAM CH A/B Votage -> 1.55v~1.60v ; override XMP setting
CPUVTT Voltage -> 1.20v
VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v

Post this screenshot:
Resource-Monitor-32GB.jpg

cypher3501

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Hello Jaquit I did the bios modifications you mention in your last post:
BIOS:
CPUVTT Voltage -> 1.20v
VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v

But I am still getting only 24Gb maybe i miss something else
Could you bring me a little more guidance with this?
Thank you very much for your help

johny_blz

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Hi Cypher3501,

I just wanted to ask if you have managed to solve your problem with the ram memory . I also have a Rampage IV wit 16GB Dominator GT and I am still wondering if it would be possible to successfully add another 16Gb kit to this board.

Thanks,

steinberg5

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
BIOS:
CPUVTT Voltage -> 1.20v
VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v

What dimm slots are you using? Could u post a pic of them in your motherboard. Mine is only showing 16gb. Thanks

steinberg5

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Has anyone been able to get any of these tips to work. if so can someone post a picture of the ram in their motherboard so i can see which slots would possibly work the best. I can only get it to recognize 16gb. thanks

TRENDING THREADS