Sign in with
Your question

Whats the problem with my new pc build?

Last response: in Components
August 10, 2011 3:49:38 AM

There are many problems that I am facing with my new build, I have installed windows before and everything looked to be fine, but I was having hardware difficulties including constant rebooting, and the fact that the computer would not turn on when I installed the motherboard into the case, I think I will need to install motherboard washers to resolve that problem, but anyway I was recently playing GTA IV on high settings and the screen just turned off, no signal, at first I thought it was due to the video memory, but after seeing countless videos of GTA IV gameplay with my specs all on high, I knew there was something wrong, but anyway I rebooted and windows worked fine, but when I turned on GTA IV again but this time everything on medium settings everything worked fine, but after a while it happened again, after repeating it several times on different settings I knew there was something wrong with either the graphics card, the mobo, or the power supply, unfortunately after rebooting several times it did not boot windows, instead it kept on rebooting, you can enter BIOS but not load windows, I am certain that I have built it the right way, as I have built pc's in the past and problems like these have rarely occurred, one time it did occur it turned out to be the power supply. But I have no idea what is causing the problem with this one. I have tried changing the boot order, so the hardisk is first, but with no success, so I am pretty sure it is a hardware issue.

My Computer specs:

Intel i7 2600k

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H Intel z68 mobo

8 GB Mushkin Silverline DDR3 2X4 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1gb GDDR5 GPU

600 watts Corsair Builder Series PSU

Cooler Master Storm Scout Case
(I haven't connected the motherboard yet)

Please respond as soon as possible, I am currently using a phone, as my laptop has brocken down, hence the build in the first place.

Thank you

More about : whats problem build

a b ) Power supply
August 10, 2011 5:03:45 AM

Make sure the fans are actually working in the case, including PSU, graphics card and CPU cooler fans. This sounds to me a lot like an overheating problem, if it was a PSU issue it wouldn't stay in the BIOS for too long as BIOS stresses most components to very close to max upon startup, pulling most power and resulting in a restart/switchoff rather than blank screen. I'm willing to bet it's an overheating GPU or CPU, but as the screen goes blank and doesn't freeze up I'm more leaning to the GPU.
a b ) Power supply
August 10, 2011 6:40:42 AM

and sure in bios CPU temperature warning disabled
Related resources
August 10, 2011 8:20:10 AM

Toxxyc said:
Make sure the fans are actually working in the case, including PSU, graphics card and CPU cooler fans. This sounds to me a lot like an overheating problem, if it was a PSU issue it wouldn't stay in the BIOS for too long as BIOS stresses most components to very close to max upon startup, pulling most power and resulting in a restart/switchoff rather than blank screen. I'm willing to bet it's an overheating GPU or CPU, but as the screen goes blank and doesn't freeze up I'm more leaning to the GPU.

I'm quite certain its not the CPU cooler, as it was working fine when I was running windows, tempretures were around 35 degrees celcius at idle, but I have to admit it is a really bad cooler from Intel (the stock CPU cooler), well as far as the graphics go, I'm going to be testing a new 5770 to see how that copes at a mates house, and i'll also try and replace the PSU and the mobo to see what happens, hopefully it will load windows, will be reporting back soon to see how that goes. The case cooling fans are really great, they really kept the pc cool, what do you think about the mobo issue, the computer dosen't even turn on if I connect it to the case. Possibly it might be a +- electric issue with the screws touching the sides of the place were the screws go in.
August 10, 2011 2:18:51 PM

I was having the same problem with a build recently. I spent DAYS trying to figure out what the problem was...would you believe it was my memory? I had replaced everything with similar components and out of desparation...the only thing I had left was the memory. I replaced the problem stick and it now works like it should.
a b ) Power supply
August 10, 2011 2:30:53 PM

you have a Z68 board so try the system without the graphics card.
August 10, 2011 8:39:01 PM

simon12 said:
you have a Z68 board so try the system without the graphics card.

I just did, but the same problem keeps on occuring :( 
August 10, 2011 8:41:57 PM

wirelesswannabe said:
I was having the same problem with a build recently. I spent DAYS trying to figure out what the problem was...would you believe it was my memory? I had replaced everything with similar components and out of desparation...the only thing I had left was the memory. I replaced the problem stick and it now works like it should.

Looks like its not the memory, just replaced it but I stumble upon the same problem again.
August 11, 2011 4:09:31 PM

I installed a new window, and guess what i think that it is the graphics card, because after 2-3 hours of use, it just stopped, no signal on the monitor, so right now i'm using the integrated graphics, and will be replacing the graphics card soon.
a b ) Power supply
August 12, 2011 5:07:42 AM

Oh snap it seems I was correct. Let us know if a new GPU fixes things (try borrowing a friend's first).
August 12, 2011 7:55:35 PM

Glad you figured it out. Sorry I was wrong about the memory...thought it might help.
August 23, 2011 1:53:24 PM

Toxxyc said:
Oh snap it seems I was correct. Let us know if a new GPU fixes things (try borrowing a friend's first).

Ok, so i just finished testing the graphics card, in a friends computer, and it worked fine, solid performace in gta iv for 5 hours, the friend suggested that it may be the psu, so i went to the graphics card site, and sure enough, the psu is not in the list of the compatible psu's, but it is 600 watt psu, with the 6 pin connectors, so i don't get why not, will you be able to help me with this.
(the psu is the corsair builder series, cmpsu-600cx v2)

Thanks
a b ) Power supply
August 24, 2011 5:11:38 AM

That PSU is actually a really great PSU. It may be faulty, but I know the Corsair CX600V2 is an excellent PSU. It will power any graphics card on the market without issue. You can have it tested at a good PC shop to ensure it's not maybe faulty, but I'm now considering the motherboard. A faulty motherboard may also result in the same issues.
August 31, 2011 11:33:48 AM

It is possibly your mobo that's causing this issue. I've seen many people install mobo without the risers on, and had to replace it. Try testing your psu, ram, and gpu. If those all check out, it must be that you have shorted out your mobo.
September 2, 2011 9:52:10 AM

zero888 said:
It is possibly your mobo that's causing this issue. I've seen many people install mobo without the risers on, and had to replace it. Try testing your psu, ram, and gpu. If those all check out, it must be that you have shorted out your mobo.

I have already tested the gpu, and works fine, as far as the ram goes im pretty sure that it works fine, and i will test the whole rig outside the case today, to see if it changes anything, anyway right now im using the integrated graphics and everything works fine, except sometimes when the screen just blanks out, then returns to normal after a few seconds, and reads "intel graphics have stopped responding and successfully recovered" this also happened with my gpu, what do you think the issue is with that?

Thanks for replying
a b ) Power supply
September 5, 2011 6:02:59 AM

The issue is with your graphics controller on the motherboard. Be it the controller itself, the slot your GPU is in or the onboard VGA port or w/e, it's most probably a motherboard issue.
!