abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hey guys,

i was designing a case mod and this idea came to my mind, i want to illuminate a series of LEDs in sync with the boot time of the computer.

for example if i have a strip of 10 LEDs, when you turn on the computer the first LED turns on and by the time windows is loaded, all the LEDs are illuminated.

is there any way to do this, i know this is almost impossible, but i have a hunch that this might be done using data from the hard disk via sata cables.

if this can be done directly form the motherboard it would be awesome, another thing i just thought of, you know before the windows starts to load, we have all the hardware scanning and all that stuff which is probably controlled by the bios. can this data be extracted from the bios by making a connection to the BIOS chip.

thanks

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Data from the HDD won't work. Neither will the BIOS.

The best way of doing it would be to just use a timer. I'm not saying it's impossible but from reading your post, I can see that you don't have much electronics experience and I would not recommend you messing with your motherboard/bios

abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

if you dont mind can you please explain how it can be done, also i am a student of mechatronics so i have some understanding of electronics, by the time mey degree complete i will be better :D. also if it is too difficult i wont mess up my board.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
My best friend has a mechatronics degree, so I know all about that :p

You could very easily mess up your board.

There are certain things during the computer boot up that don't change (unless you change things). So it wouldn't be too hard to time things manually up until windows starts loading. You could then use some sort of programmable USB interface that will tell you when windows is done?

abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

ok so here is really what i want, you pro'lly played assassins creed and you know how the sync bars work, when the game starts you are out of sync but your sync increases that what i want to do and this mod is not for me but for someone so i wanted to do something by which this mod would work on any motherboard and i dont have to customize it everytime.

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
I think your best option would be to fake it.

You would need an LED strip that has the ability to light up one section at a time, or to create your own out of some leds and wiring. Then use something like an Arduino to control the lighting up of the sections of leds, so that you can space it out over a certain amount of time.
Then measure how long it takes your computer to boot up on average, divide this by the number of LEDs, and program it into your controller.

Bam! You now have a strip of LEDs that lights up incrementally until the computer has completed boot, pretty accurately, without risking any components.

http://www.arduino.cc/

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Thats essentually what I was saying lol. He doesn't want to use a timer.

abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

isnt there any pinout or something to which i can connect a few wires and then program a chip to use that data. soldering would require a professional job cuz of such small joints.

abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

thanks for the info

well if what i originally wanted doesnt work or cant happen then i will have to go with this option.

abdulw87

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
i just remembered something, you might have heard about bootracer. now that software tells you everytime how much time your computer took to boot, and i am guessing that it takes this whole data via hard drive using codes ad what not. i want to do a similar thing like code a chip with similar commands and connect it to a sata port on the motherboard.

its extremely difficult but can this be done.