Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade from i7-950/X58 to 2600K/Z68, Worth it?

Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2011 2:11:17 PM

So sorry if this topic has already been hammered to death or still irrelevant.

*** Is it worth it? ***

So I'm seriously thinking about an upgrade. I'm staying within the Intel hardware realm.
I'd be going from my existing:
i7-950 Intel CPU,
X58 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 mobo,
12GB of 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM bringing it over to the new build if it happens,

AMD/ati 5870 video,
Intel 160GB SSD boot drive, with Windows 64bit Pro,
dual 3TB data drives (for gaming, simulators, blu-ray movies, music, personal family video editing).

Is it worth it?
Can I just swap out the mobo & CPU & see any real performance gains like *** minimum of 15% if that's even *** real percentage gain?

PS: A coworker recently told me that I wouldn't be gaining anything? He was saying that my Socket 1366 i7-950 CPU & matching mobo still outperform the new i7 2600K & any Z68 mobo combo just released. Any truth to that?

Thanks in advance everyone.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2011 3:48:35 PM

The i7-2600K will outperform the i7-950!

Keep in mind that what you now have is a power horse, and the gains though real, will be marginal; not by leaps and bounds.

However, these decisions are based on impulse, and from that standpoint, the switch may well be justified; definitely on bragging rights.
May 14, 2011 3:57:59 PM

Ubrales said:
The i7-2600K will outperform the i7-950!

Keep in mind that what you now have is a power horse, and the gains though real, will be marginal; not by leaps and bounds.

However, these decisions are based on impulse, and from that standpoint, the switch may well be justified; definitely on bragging rights.

Big thanks on the response, Ubrales.
I'm def. not looking to drop up to $1100 for bragging rights. Just looking for something better than what I currently have under the hood of my CoolMaster mid-sized tower.
But for marginal increases I'll opt out & wait for the next gen of CPU's & mobos. I can wait it out another year.

Sheesh! I waited for Duke Nukem for almost 14yrs??? Yeah, my wallet's patient. But, I do, make stupid impulse purchases, too, at times, eh-eh. Thanks again.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2011 4:08:09 PM

suzukii said:
Big thanks on the response, Ubrales.
I'm def. not looking to drop up to $1100 for bragging rights. Just looking for something better than what I currently have under the hood of my CoolMaster mid-sized tower.
But for marginal increases I'll opt out & wait for the next gen of CPU's & mobos. I can wait it out another year.

Sheesh! I waited for Duke Nukem for almost 14yrs??? Yeah, my wallet's patient. But, I do, make stupid impulse purchases, too, at times, eh-eh. Thanks again.

Wise decision!

I mirror your thoughts and will wait until 2012 and Z68. Besides, I want all the problems resolved, and issues ironed out. In the meantime, I am reading up on Ivy Bridge. (Let the debugging be done on someone else's nickel!).
May 15, 2011 3:46:05 AM

Not worth it...over your current rig sandy bridge will only give you 20-30% performance increase in games and the like..it isn't worth it..most people upgraded so that they can say that they have new hardware, and that they can hit 4.7 Ghz with ease, but with no real reason for the increase other than bragging rights...I say hold on to what you have and wait for X79 if anything..what seems amazing today, isn't so great tomorrow..the only thing I can say is sandy bridge is great for people upgrading from older hardware..but, if you feel the itch to spend some money..do so on the video card.
May 15, 2011 4:18:05 AM

Agree with the others, you won't see a noticeable increase in performance from a CPU + Mobo Upgrade, but if you looking for better Frame rates in games you will definably see a performance lead from a GPU upgrade specially in incoming tittles, which brings me to the next question what settings and resolution do you play games at? what are your Favorite Tittles? a GPU upgrade would be wise IMO.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2011 4:12:06 PM

Imo that would be the dumbest upgrade ever.

A rule of thumb is when you upgrade, upgrade at least 2 tiers. That's pretty much the same tier.
May 15, 2011 4:22:08 PM

How is upgrading the GPU dumb, thats what generates the FPS, it dont matter if im using a phenom II and a gtx 570, trust me the 570 does make a huge difference against let say a 4870, a card that goes along with my cpu, i really dont see ur point.

Re- read your post i see your talking to the OP about technology generations.
May 15, 2011 4:28:34 PM

snakej said:
Agree with the others, you won't see a noticeable increase in performance from a CPU + Mobo Upgrade, but if you looking for better Frame rates in games you will definably see a performance lead from a GPU upgrade specially in incoming tittles, which brings me to the next question what settings and resolution do you play games at? what are your Favorite Tittles? a GPU upgrade would be wise IMO.

Hi snakej. I agree on a GPU upgrade with ya since I won't be upgrading anything else for now. I fool around with games like C.o.D., W.o.W., Realflight RC Sim, Need For Speed, DiRT3, etc. I'm happy with the existing frames I'm getting. I don't go bananas over this. I play at 1900x1200. But, I will tell you that now that I'll wait on a significant performance bump from yet unreleased CPU & mobo's from iNTEL or AMD, I'll plop some $$$ down on an AMD 6970 or NVidia 570 560 (when it's avail. in my area from MicroCenter). That's what I can squeeze into my PC parts spending budget for now.
May 15, 2011 4:33:01 PM

geekapproved said:
Imo that would be the dumbest upgrade ever.

A rule of thumb is when you upgrade, upgrade at least 2 tiers. That's pretty much the same tier.

Hi GeekApproved. I'm on the same page with you. I won't spend more than $200 for a miserable 20% bump. I want at the least a 50% perf. increase to put a smile on my mug. But, for now, I'll opt for a GPU as I mentioned previously.
May 15, 2011 4:35:50 PM

but you currently own a 5870, if that's the case, just wait until you have a better budget as a 5870 still hold its grown in direct x 11, a 6970 is not that bad of a upgrade,also more efficient and quiet but a GTX 560 isn't a good upgrade over the 5870, it wont offer a noticeable boost however it will perform more quieter and way more efficient without mentioning how good it overclocks but i say that the difference isnt worth the money.
May 15, 2011 4:47:58 PM

snakej said:
but you currently own a 5870, if that's the case, just wait until you have a better budget as a 5870 still hold its grown in direct x 11, a 6970 is not that bad of a upgrade,also more efficient and quiet but a GTX 560 isn't a good upgrade over the 5870, it wont offer a noticeable boost however it will perform more quieter and way more efficient without mentioning how good it overclocks but i say that the difference isnt worth the money.

Sorry Snakej. I corrected that. I meant NVidia 570. But I tend to lean more towards the 6970. Quietness is key for me & the Misses. Right now when I turn off my PC, (though I have a good sound absorbing CoolMaster case), there's a sense of peacefulness in the room that comes over us when it finally shuts down.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2011 5:53:36 PM

suzukii said:

PS: A coworker recently told me that I wouldn't be gaining anything? He was saying that my Socket 1366 i7-950 CPU & matching mobo still outperform the new i7 2600K & any Z68 mobo combo just released. Any truth to that?

By the way, your coworker is completely wrong. The 2600k wipes the floor with the 950 in every single test.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/100?vs=287
May 15, 2011 7:04:58 PM

bavman said:
By the way, your coworker is completely wrong. The 2600k wipes the floor with the 950 in every single test.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/100?vs=287

Thanks for the heads up. But, I don't know about wiping the floor with it. Seems marginal, not worth bragging about it. Yeah, it beats it, but not worth getting any bragging rights. Thanks again.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2011 7:23:25 PM

Upgrade! Don't be a pussy!

I upgraded my 875k to an 2600k, and my 930 to a 2500k, and am quite happy with the results from both.

Take a look:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...
May 16, 2011 11:41:40 PM

jasonw223 said:
Upgrade! Don't be a pussy!

I upgraded my 875k to an 2600k, and my 930 to a 2500k, and am quite happy with the results from both.

Take a look:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

Hi jasonw223: Ya know the old saying you are what you eat.
...and I've eaten my share of old mobos & CPU's since the early 90's dating back to AMD 486's (yep I said that out loud) & Paradise EVGA 256 color video cards or Voodoo Monster boards (if you can recollect that), eh-eh... Maybe, just maybe, if MicroCenter restores the 2600K's sale priced that they had back on sale about two months ago, I'll bend.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 17, 2011 7:49:19 AM

My dad dropped $8000 on an IBM XT for us back in the day... that's still the one I laugh at most.

Just think about how cheap a 2600k seems compared to that...
a b B Homebuilt system
May 17, 2011 2:41:50 PM

My first computer was a 286 with 100 MB memory and a whopping 20 MB (yes MB) hard disk. I paid $2,100 for it. 13" CRT with a green screen (color CRT was too expensive, flat screen unheard of). It served its purpose in its day!

(BTW, we seem to be veering off the topic).
May 23, 2011 11:59:39 PM

Best answer selected by suzukii.
!