ATI radeon HD 5670 modern warfare 2 crashes

aznflawless

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I got a new ATI Radeon HD 5670, to replace a RLY bad GFX card, and i bought it installed it, played modern warfare 2,Cod4,starcraft 2, crysis 2 demo. and it was all working fine. but at the same time modern warfare 2 had problems sometimes. When i joined a game sometimes the map the buildings are invisable, and modern warfare 2 crashes like 1/5 games.

I installed the latest driver, rebooted computer, samething. i deleted steam, and mw2, and redownloaded everything and still happens. What should i do now? is it my video card? i also bought warrenty for it for 2 years. Also i just got my new ATI RAdeon HD 5670 yesterday.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I doubt it's a vid card glitch, if it only happens in MW2... Can you find anything on the internet? You could try using driver sweeper, I guess, and then reinstall drivers. What gfx did u have before?

Do a clean install of GPU drivers and see if it helps,here is how
1_Download and install "Driver sweeper" from Guru3d.com and install
2_Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the driver and reboot
3_Boot to safe mode and open driver sweeper,then click on "Nvidia" and "ATI", then click on clean
4_Reboot and boot normally to windows and install the new drivers after that you need to restart,and its done

Keres

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Hello. I have the same problem but driver sweeper is no longer downloadable.

Attention - Guru3D Driver Sweeper has been discontinued as such you will not find any download links here any longer.

What can I do?

When I join a game both my monitors will sometimes instantly, sometimes a few seconds later go to show random color patterns, system sound freezes.

It used to only happen occasionally and go away with a driver reinstall for a random amount of time, but since I installed the latest driver it happens every single time. But installing the latest driver fixed a different crash on boot up :x

I have a geforce 280 GTX btw.

aznflawless

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

I fixed mw2 a long time ago. I relized the settings for mw2 had to be on "high" settings or lower. "extra" settings made it glitch.

Keres

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
It seems the game crashes even if the settings are on medium.
Most unsatisfying.

Edit:
Alright. I fiddled some more and it seems to not crash if I disable Normal Mapping and Anti-Aliasing

Edit2:
Well. I fiddled some more, and while I first thought that disabling those did the trick, it seems they only buy time.
That is, the lower the settings are, the more time you get until the game crashes my gfx-card. Disable everything bought me enough time to play 1 1/2 rounds. That would be around 20-30 minutes.
Normal Mapping and Anti-Aliasing just seem to have a pretty high drain on whatever is causing those crashes, and having all settings to max causes an instant crash once I join a game.

I am a bit at a loss what to do here :x

Keres

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Alright. This just now happened to me when I was just starting my second run on the new Alice: Madness Returns game.
I played the game for days without any problems and now it just does this.
This is definitely not a game related issue.
But I wouldn't even know where to start looking for the cause. :(