Asus P9X79 won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartoteck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hi folks

I'm new here, but ive been reading news here for years and i have to say that you guys are pros. I registered to this site now because i need your help.

I bought a new rig on directcanada and builded the whole thing myself. Heres the setup i have:

Antec earthwatt 650w (used from my old comp, never had any issue)
Asus p9x79
Intel core i7-3820
Cooler Master RR-212E-20PK-R2 (cpu fan)
Corsair vengeance 16gb gold CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G (the not gold version is in compatibility list but not this one)
ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI
Ssd drive Corsair force gt 120gb CSSD-F120GBGT-BK
Bluray burner LG WH12LS39
also have a seagate sata3 2tb drive

Heres what happen: the computer start i see fans spining and nothing on the screen. I see the red light stable on the dram led, which made me thought the problem is the uncompatible memory.

I read some threads on this forum with people having similar issues. Looks like its mostly the bios who dont support my ram so i need to update it. I first tried the memok! button and it wont work. I tried updating with the bios flashback and it fails (light flash once then stay open). Also tried another ram (also not in the compatibility list) it wont fix anything.

So i started the troubleshoot. I plugged only the cpu, fan and psu on the board. It gives me 1 long beep, 2 short beeps loop and i see the same red light but flashing. (i read on other thread that its suposed to be long beeps so im not sure if something is failing with my board/psu/cpu).

Then tried to put on 1 dimm on the recommend slot, i got the same problem than the begining (red light stay open and no beeps).

So do i just need to update my bios? Does my board is faulty? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Steven

Solution
First off I'm running 32GB of CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G (2 kits) so if it's not compatible then my ASUS Sabertooth X79 hasn't figured that out yet... I assume the RAM is properly seated, the DIMM lock is snapped closed, and most importantly in the correct DIMM slots (use Blue).

From my observations the i7-3820 is often the culprit, and while I appreciate the listed CPU Support list, there seems to be an issue with earlier BIOS. Many of the original (tested) CPUs went from C1 to a C2 revision i.e. (2) versions of each CPU.

Prior to updating the BIOS perform a proper Clear CMOS procedure, unplug the PSU for 5 minutes and using the Jumper method follow this Guide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Further, I really...

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
If you check chapter 2-48 in your user manual, Asus says one long beep followed by two short beeps means "No Memory Detected".
It looks like you need to replace your RAM. Before you do so you should definately try updating BIOS incase RAM compatibility is updated. If that doesn't work for you take back your RAM and get another set (try to find one from the compatibility list).

bartoteck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Ty for fast answer.

There was no memory in the computer when i got the beeps. I tried Just wanted to make sure everything is fine with my motherboard and cpu (not sure if ok yet lol). When i put in my 4 dimms or just 1 of them i get the red light stalling at dram led and no beeps at all.

From the begining i thought it was the ram and need to update my bios but i cant do it... I just wanna make sure if its really the ram compatibility or another part failing.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Well Asus gives your CPU as compatible since the earliest BIOS version so I doubt it's that. Since you Mobo and RAM are new I wouldn't say its faulty hardware (always a possibility). I would probably say that the RAM is not compatible with the Mobo.
Do you have the option to get replacement set from the shop you bought it?

bartoteck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
I bought the stuff online, since the memory is prolly working great but not compatible i prolly cant replace it. I can afford a new set, but if the bios update could fix this problem i would rather try to find a way to update my bios.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Read this over and see if you could get a BIOS update done.
You dont even need RAM for this to work!
There is a video at the bottom of the page that shows a guy doing it for reference.
Check it out.

First off I'm running 32GB of CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G (2 kits) so if it's not compatible then my ASUS Sabertooth X79 hasn't figured that out yet... I assume the RAM is properly seated, the DIMM lock is snapped closed, and most importantly in the correct DIMM slots (use Blue).

From my observations the i7-3820 is often the culprit, and while I appreciate the listed CPU Support list, there seems to be an issue with earlier BIOS. Many of the original (tested) CPUs went from C1 to a C2 revision i.e. (2) versions of each CPU.

Prior to updating the BIOS perform a proper Clear CMOS procedure, unplug the PSU for 5 minutes and using the Jumper method follow this Guide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Further, I really recommend that if you cannot post to the BIOS then you update your BIOS via USB BIOS Flashback, download the latest BIOS for ASUS P9X79, extract the (.ROM) file and rename it to = P9X79.ROM , copy to a FAT32 Flash Drive that has no partitions, insert the Flash Drive into the White USB 2.0 Port and press the USB BIOS Flashback Button.

USB BIOS Flashback Guide - http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/
BIOS v1103 - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79/#download

--

Hopefully you can get to the point installing Windows 7, and if you do then follow this Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume-sleep-booted-raid#t2068879

Good Luck!

Solution

bartoteck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Ty for the answer... About the memory we dont have the same stuff (you have CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G and i have CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9G), i can assure the ram is properly seated in the blue slots. I know what im doing its far from my first install.

I already tried the flashback feature. Cant make it happen. I used a usb2.0 kingston usb key formated in fat32 (i assume there wasnt any partition because i only see 1 drive in my computer, maybe the mbr is fucked because in the past i tried to use it as grub boot?)

I havent tried the clear cmos feature yet, since i dont see anything on the screen im not sure if i can follow the procedures but i will surely try it after my job.

Well i have to say that im a bit raged, i guess ima need to go on a computting support shop to make it boot (or buy another ram who is already compatible)

CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G ; you listed
CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G ; what I have
==================
SAME

CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9G ; changed in your last post 04-27-2012 at 01:33:35 PM
According to Corsair doesn't exist or is an OEM set - http://www.corsair.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9G

So which RAM is it?!

Flash Drive - try reformatting it; see video (only difference, don't copy Windows) - just add the ROM file as I suggested - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4CdEZPTPzk

Unplug EVERY USB, all Headers, all SATA, etc. connection to MOBO. You only need main power. If that fails then IMO a full Breadboard outside the case.

bartoteck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Yes you are right we have the same stuff, i got confused with another thread i read lol.

For the flash drive ima give it another try tonight with only a cpu in it, nothing else. But im pretty sure it will fail. Maybe the cpu is ******* up or something... I need to figure thing out fast before diablo 3 release.

If i cant make it tonight ill go on a computting support shop tomorrow to make it happen.

The key items for USB BIOS Flashback to 'work:'
1. Extract the (.ROM) file from the (.ZIP) which you downloaded AND rename it to = P9X79.ROM ; Simply 'renaming' the file you downloaded will FAIL! You need the file inside the .ZIP file to work.
2. FAT32 USB Flash Drive
3. ONLY again ONLY the WHITE USB 2.0 will allow for USB BIOS Flashback - period ; ANY other USB port will FAIL!

Good Luck! :)

bartoteck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
I already tried all these steps with 2 usb keys, i know im doing all fine, the only thing im not sure is when i formatted it does it really clear the mbr (because my keys used to be bootable).

But i followed all the procedure, the file is a rom file with P9X79.ROM name. Plugged in the white usb port, turned the psu on without start the comp. Press the flashbackbutton till it start blinking. Its only blinking once then it stay open and dont do a ***.. This is really frustrating

bartoteck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah ill go here tomorrow and just give them my computer as is and ask them to try to make it boot and update my bios then see if my memory works, if not ill just buy another pack... Ill keep you guys updated.

Let me know if u have another idea from you guys experience.

Ty for help btw.

The RAM isn't the issue; pull the RAM, GPU(s), Headers, etc -- take everything out of the equation. If USB BIOS Flashback fails then that suggest either a bad: MOBO, PSU, or 'short / grounding short'. Therefore, remove the MOBO from its' case and breadboard.

USB BIOS Flashback completely, ignores the CPU, RAM, GPU, you name it.

100% Guarantee - CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G in both 1 set & 2 sets works!

bartoteck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Heres the problem, i tried everything to update the bios flashback and cant make it happen. Assuming the feature dont need ram cpu gpu to work, letting them here wont change anything.

If i remember right i tried without ram and gpu on, i dont want to take the cpu out because the installation is kind of PITA (thermal paste and heatsink installation).

I got a friend who have 2 ram set of older dd3, ill look if theres compatible with my board and give it a try. If it dont work ill pay the 45 bucks at the computer store so they fix this (or not lol)

gooseneck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

Hi. Had a similar issue when I bought my PC P9 x79 mobo... they ended up flashing the bios to the latest version by putting in the high end chip and flashing it. It then recognized my ram and all was good. Apparently only the high end chip works for flashing from the initial bios.

Thats my $0.02. Good Luck

Gooseneck

bartoteck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

Ty for answering me... but i dont understand anything you wrote here... what is an high end chip?

I assume they meant a 6-core i7-3930K or i7-3960X...

Recall my first post...

bartoteck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Oh ok so trying another cpu could make it boot so i can update? Or just try to flashback without a cpu on?

Btw my cpu fan is plugged in cpu fan spot not cpu opt (dont know what change anyway i see the fan spinning np)

gooseneck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

Mine did the same. Perhaps take the board & ram into a PC place and ask them to flash it (hopefully they will have a 39xx high end chip) to allow you a flash up to date then your 3830 cpu will play nice with the ram you have.

Gooseneck

bartoteck

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Did you had a compatible memory?

Looks like the problem is with my cpu (but when the system does the post it looks for the cpu, the light blink and just stop blinking, then go on the memory and fail here)...

I guess ill need to go at the pc place, just hope they can fix this for 45 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.