$700-$830 laptop advice

hd5850bldr

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hey all, so I decided I wanted to buy a premade laptop rather than building a computer. I just don't have the time to build my own. I'm going to use the laptop mainly for gaming and Microsoft office, my budget is around $700 but I may be able to get up to $830 if the deal is good.

I've been looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115990 for $699 I thought this seemed like a good deal.

I've also been looking at HP dv6 quadcores. I can get a dv6 quadcore with a
sandy bridge i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz, a radeon HD 6770m, 6gb of ram, and a 640gb 7200 HDD for $822 with a coupon code. This is right at the top of my budget.

Questions
My main question is, is the extra $120 difference between the Acer and the HP worth the better performance? The Acer would still give me a decent dual core with hyperthreading, though not a sandy bridge, and a decent graphics card in the hd6550. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated. Also any further suggestions for $700-$800 gaming pcs are appreciated.

The HP will serve all your needs very well. I certainly prefer HP over Acer. Please keep in mind that I am not saying that HP is perfect, but that HP as a general rule, has less problems than Acer. They all have problems that will creep up at some time or the other.

The HP that you listed has great specs.

Other good brands are Asus, and Sony.

Davz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Don't forget that most of those sites tack tax onto the cost at the end. (Dell doesn't even do it until after your credit card info :()

I'm in the same market as you, looking to get one soon. I was looking for a next gen i5 with some nice peripherals for it, but I saw that HP deal:
HP dv7tqe Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 17.3in Laptop w/ Blu-Ray $874.99 (code: NB4151)

And was mighty tempted to stray more from my budget.

Do you mind if I ask what code you used to get the 15" version down to $822?