ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 debug help

Edeveth

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hi!

Been a big fan of the site for a while, and finally got the money together to build my computer.
Ended up going with something like this:

I went with:
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Ivy Bridge i5-3570k
16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis (4x4GB) DDR3 1600
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 680 reference card
Mushkin 120GB SSD
660 watt seasonic modular PSU

Anyway, got it put together, everything powered AFAIK. Turned it on for the first time, and the very handy Dr Debug started cycling through its stuff, stopped at 55, and then beeped at me 4 times. According to the manual post code 55 means "memory not installed". so i took out all my ram, started again, same code. then i installed just 2 4GB sticks first in slots 1/3 then 2/4. code 55 again. I tried with only 1 stick, same problem. I doubt that all four of these ram sticks are faulty, so that should have fixed the problem. Still error code 55, or 0x55 according the the manual.

Im looking for any suggestions at all.

If I uploaded High-Def photos of the inside of my case, could that help in checking if i powered and plugged everything properly?

Thanks guys

G

i have exactly the same problem.

same MB
same CPU
xms3 corsair ram 4*4

Edeveth

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Found out it is because that mother board requires an updated bios to accept the ivy bridge CPU. I had to borrow my buddies 1155 socket CPU to flash my bios before my cpu would work. ASRock also offered to send me an updated bios chip to put on the board, but i didn't want to wait.

raven2510

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. ASRock just got the bios update out for the IVY Bridge chips. IF you don't update, they won't post.

oxywashere

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I am currently in the same situation with the same board with a 3770k. I have emailed ASRock in the hope of a quick reply. However I am 5 mins from their office in Chino, CA, so I'll give them a call in the morning and see what they tell me. I dont have another 1155 to throw in there to flash, so I guess I'm playing the waiting game. Kind of a disappointment, I wanted to play with my new toy :(.

Mgriz

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Another one in the same boat here... Haven't heard back from ASRock yet but I'm hoping they can send me an updated BIOS chip quckly, don't want to wait anymore!

oxywashere

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I have yet to receive an email from them. However I called them when they opened at 9am this morning, it is currently 12:44 and I have the chip in hand. They let me come pick it up. But since Ive been up for over 24 hours now and Ive never attempted anything like this, I think I'll save it for tomorrow. I'm not even sure where the bios chip is.

If anyone else runs across this thread, I recommend calling their number in chino, ca @ 909-590-8308 and save the trouble of using their webform. You get results much faster - just ask for tech support. If you have an invoice showing you have bought the board recently it is free of charge, otherwise they wanted $15.

raven2510

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
The BIOS chip is located on the bottom of the MOBO, right under the Debug LED.
I marked it with a red circle.

z68extreme3gen3m.jpg

Just Pry it up very carefully from the connector and install the new one in the reverse. Make sure you install it in the right orientation. Make sure you install it in the right orientation.

oxywashere

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Thank you for that. In my sleep deprived state I knew I wasn't going to attempt it, so my once-over glance didn't make it obvious. There was a sticker on it with the current bios number that was hiding it.

An update for anyone who happens to care: I switched the bios chip without a hitch just to boot up to the same problem. Called tech support immediately afterwards to find out they accidentally gave me the same bios. So I took my 2 mobos down there (building 2 rigs) and the tech took my boards, put in the new chips, posted to make sure they worked, tweaked some settings for me, and gave me a free mousepad and pen (YES!). They were apologetic that they gave me the wrong bios, but they really made up for my 2nd 5 minute drive .

I'm sure being a warm body and not a voice over the phone helped, but I really appreciated their customer service. I will definitely be buying more ASRock boards in the future, being 5 minutes from the office if I get a DOA from newegg sure helps!

Edeveth

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Just to update you guys flashing the bios with the updated version worked beautifully. ASRock also contacted me back and are sending me an updated bios chip, for free. So if you cant get another CPU to do it yourself (cheapest one that will work with this mobo is ~$70, i just returned mine immediately afterwards for the 5% restocking fee, cost me $4) you can contact ASRock and just tell them you need an updated bios chip, and send them your proof of purchase from the mobo, and your address.

Not a hitch since. Now running at 4.2 Ghz :D

INFIN1TY

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I just have to drop in my two cents here aswell.

Having the same issue right now, got a i7 3770k ivy bridge cpu and a Z68 extreme 3 gen 3 mobo with an older ''bios chip'' Contacted support via email and they are sending me a new ''updated'' bios chip within a day.

Great support by ASRock. Guess its waiting time now. :(

G

Ah, finally the answer I needed.... how to change the bios chip and if it was easy enough to do.... yay!! no need for buying a sandy bridge... can instead get the $20 bios chip and just buy the Ivy!!!!! Coolness