CPU/Mobo swap and unsuccessful boot, why?

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I changed my cpu P4 3.0GHz 512KB cache 800FSB--> to a--> P4EE 3.2GHz 2MB cache 800FSB (Socket 478's both of them)
I also changed my motherboard from an MSI MS-6540(661FM), to an Intel D875PBZ motherboard.

Why is my system not booting? I get a quick blue screen and then it goes back to the.. "Windows did not boot up correctly" then i select "Start Windows normally" the same thing happens, then i select the one above it "Last Good Known Settings" or something like that and the same thing happens, quick blue screen then BIOS boot again but no Windows boot...

Why why why? Do i have to reinstall? Can i still put back my original hardware parts and save all my data atleast? Thanks..

Solution
Will the stock Windows OS backup program backup everything i listed in the previous response i gave?
Yes ntbackup can meet most of your requirements, but it might not yet be installed if you don't have Windows XP Pro: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

In case your hard disk fails, you'll first need to install Windows XP and ntbackup. Then you'll be able to restore to the new hard disk. I prefer a backup solution that includes a bootable recovery CD, but you could probably create your own to use ntbackup if you know how to make a BartPE bootable CD (or DVD).
The system won't boot because you switched from an SIS chipset to an Intel chipset. Your system probably crashes with error code 0x0000007b.

Depending on your OS, you could try a repair install. If XP, it would have been easy to add the missing registry keys before swapping the motherboard.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Ok..

Yeah the error code was all those 0's and 7B... I took a video of it from my phone so i can pause it and see what it says so yeah its that error code.

What can i do? Is it possible to re-swap everything and try the registry keys and get all my stuff back? Or are my things long gone? Thanks.. I have my HDD split in two, like C drive and D. D is most of my stuff...

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Because you have changed your motherboard you will have to do a fresh install of your operating system as the chipset drivers for the motherboard will be wrong.

The operating system will not boot without the correct drivers

What OS do you have? If XP, then yes that can probably be done: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082 If that fails, then perform a repair install or reinstall the OS. Unless it's not important to you, why not backup your data on a regular basis?

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Im sorry, i should have gave the OS, its Windows XP SP3, so you all guessed it right anyways =]

The hard drive is connected by an IDE cable, those thin, yet wide connectors(im guessing its an IDE hard drive obviously)

How can i perform a repair install and what does it do? If i have to reinstall i can do that too, but my data is really important and to be honest i dont know how to back it up as sad as it sounds. Sorry if i cant be comprehended, im real sick atm.

You have a few options.

1. You could reconnect the hard disk to the old motherboard and use Microsoft's MergeIDE before moving it back to the new motherboard;
2. Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964 (unfortunately you might not be able to do much about Interet Explorer) and http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
3. Reinstall the OS and risk losing most or all of your data;
4. Install a new hard disk for the OS and then access your data on the old IDE drive.

It's easy to backup important files to an external device (USB key or hard disk) or copy it to a DVD.

If you install Windows again you will lose any data on the disk however if you do a repair install by selecting repair installation which will be offered as an option just before you install the operating system your data should be safe. This is NOT the same as the repair option which is presented earlier on in the CD boot process. You will still have the problem of activating your installation.

XP Repair install
Please read carefully before initiating the Repair Install.
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
OKAY, WHEW...

I decided to go to the computer and pull out the new mobo and cpu i got(more like outdated lol [P4EE proc + D875PBZ mobo]) and put in the MSI MS-6540 + P4 3GHz(mobo and processor in the first place i had).. N guess what.. The system booted up fine and everythings like normal! Whew =]

Just need a tad more help, how do i BACK UP everything? By everything(if possible please) i mean:
drivers, all my settings, my games(which work off of their own registry key), registry keys, programs and almost everything else. Like literately all i wanted to do was just put in a stinking new mobo and cpu and say, finally im done, and resume using my computer as if nothing happened but performance boosted.

Thanks people, alot! Thank you!!

Do you have an external hard disk? If not, you should buy one or use DVDs to burn an image. To perform your backups, you could buy a product like Acronis True Image Home, try one of the free utilities listed at http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml, etc. Another well rated free program is http://download.cnet.com/Macrium-Reflect-Free/3000-2242_4-10845728.html?tag=main;productListing.

Once the system has been backed up, then follow the IDEMerge procedure provided by Microsoft before reinstalling the Intel motherboard. The system should then be able to detect the new hardware without crashing.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I'm sorry for making this probably longer than it should, almost done!

I asked a friend of mine in science about a backup program he knows of.. He said use the built in one in Windows OS. I told him I dont think its good according to some people (you guys, and i trust you guys for the most part=]). He said it doesnt matter, as long as it backs up everything you need it to, use an external hard drive(what most of you, if not, all of you said). My brother has a 1TB Western Digital external hd, so i guess im good to go, except one question.

Will the stock Windows OS backup program backup everything i listed in the previous response i gave? Or are there any other freeware programs that are better than the stock Windows backup program?

People thanks a lot, sorry i'm a bit of patience.

Can you do me a favor and check the AA# on the Intel® D875PBZ and make sure that it is later then C27085-207 or later; or C26680-206 or later. If it is listed before these numbers the problem is the change from Northwood to Prescott. You can see a list of supported processors for the D875PBZ at this site http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d875pbz/sb/CS-021825.htm.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Will the stock Windows OS backup program backup everything i listed in the previous response i gave?
Yes ntbackup can meet most of your requirements, but it might not yet be installed if you don't have Windows XP Pro: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

In case your hard disk fails, you'll first need to install Windows XP and ntbackup. Then you'll be able to restore to the new hard disk. I prefer a backup solution that includes a bootable recovery CD, but you could probably create your own to use ntbackup if you know how to make a BartPE bootable CD (or DVD).

Solution

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Intel Enthusiast, the first processor core was based off of: Northwood(3.0GHz, 512KB L2 Cache, 800FSB)
The processor im getting is based from the Gallatin core(Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.2GHz, 2MB L3 Cache, 800FSB, code name is SL7AA). I havent bought a Prescott core, i dont seem to like them the Northwood processors seem to outperform them in benchmarks. If you still need the number though, its the second number with AA C26680 - 304(thats my number, 304) so i'm assuming its later than the one you gave me meaning im okay anyways right? Whats the difference between AA 27XXXXXX and AA 26XXXXXX? By the way, can i overclock the SL7AA P4 EE by 10% in the BIOS Burn-In feature or just by 4%? =]

GhislainG, i have Windows XP Professional thank God lol, it should be easy enough to do straight from the on-screen controls right? Why do people use other backup programs then?(just wondering)

Thanks guys a lot!

GhislainG, i have Windows XP Professional thank God lol, it should be easy enough to do straight from the on-screen controls right? Why do people use other backup programs then?(just wondering)
Because they are easier to use if you need to reinstall on a new hard disk, they offer better compression, a bootable rescue CD usually is easier to create, etc. Once you try ntbackup, you'll understand why it isn't the most popular backup solution.

Note that ntbackup can easily be installed on all XP versions if you follow the procedure.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Okay, i need a simple quick response pleeassee..

I click on Backup in Win. XP.. I save the backup in a folder on the external HD... BUT it says you also need a floppy disk in drive A or something like that to store system backup data or information... huh???

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Lol yeah now i do understand. Took a while too for it to finish. Ill try reading that link see whats its about. One really odd thing.. I never used a floppy disk! The system just went along backing up the stuff i needed to be backed up and it said it'd prompt me sooner or later to insert a floppy.. I never got a notification for a floppy. It just backed up to the EHD and its good to go... I guess? Any input on this?

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I read the link.. The thing is i clicked on the first option which is labeled Backup Wizard when i pulled up the built in Backup software, and not the third option which is labeled ASR. Whats the difference? Seems to be the same. Man all this backup stuff is so tedious and mind tearing, =[

So this is all i did so far...

Got my brothers external hard drive(1TB) and hooked it up and stuff, then i went to Start and navigated to Backup. I clicked on it and just went through the default procedures to back things up and i didn't click on the blue Advanced backup option. I backed up what i wanted by clicking "Let me choose what i want to backup"(says something like that) and i got all that done. I even backed up the System State. I went on and clicked next next next, then it started doing its thing.. backing up everything and things like that. I woke up this morning to check up on it and it said its completed. I even clicked on the Report button to see what all happened, everything seemed fine.

ONE thing boggles me.. Why would it not tell me to insert a floppy disk when it said it would? What if i went on to try backing this up in the future, it wouldn't work would it?

I backed up what i wanted by clicking "Let me choose what i want to backup"(says something like that) and i got all that done.
That backup meets your requirements, but you won't be able to perform a bare metal restore. If your hard disk fails, you'll have to reinstall Windows and then restore from your backup (which probably isn't a concern). If you don't have a floppy disk, then that's your only backup option when using ntbackup. Make sure that you can browse the backup to verify it's integrity.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Oh =] then i guess im all done aren't I? I do have a good small box of floppy disks i have one pulled out(was going to use it) but yeah... I would reinstall windows then back it all up through the Backup file stored on the external HD right? So the backup did its thing correctly and im good to go eh? Thanks alot GhislainG! and everyone else too!