GA-880GA-UD3H

bpoage

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I put together a custom computer using this motherboard Gigabyte (GA-880GA-UD3H). I recently purchased a EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FTW 1024MB EE (External Exhaust). Running Windows 7 - 32bit. 8 GB of RAM

I'm having issues with this card.

1) I tried updating drivers and it keeps hanging
2) I can't play any video thru Windows Media Player
3) The system hangs when Windows tries to shut down ("Shutting down....") - could hang there for hours. I have to manually shut it off myself

The whole system has acted weird ever since I put in this card. I have not altered any settings on the motherboard. Everything is set on automatic as far as settings are concerned in the BIOS.

I have read horror stories about this video card and believe its the cause of the problem. But I don't want to start mucking around with settings on the motherboard until I know whether it can be fixed.

Windows runs fine otherwise so long I don't do any video playback or anything video related.

Please help... If you need more info. Please ask... I can use all the help I can get.

pat

Expert
first, Iwould remove 4 gigs as 32 bits OS cannot use more. second, increase ram voltage a bit. Gigabyte mobo tend to undervolt memory a bit. then, test the ram with memtest86 to ensure that ram is good.

check every connection and ensure proper power is going to the video card and make sure the psu is giving enough voltage and has proper watttage for the job.

bpoage

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I'm not new to computers, but I am new to putting one together. I have no idea what the proper voltage is for ram since everything seems to run the 1/100th percent. I know improper voltage's can fry anything.

If there is a specific guide to where I can fiddle with the numbers and keep it specific and in range, that would be helpful.

I can check the video card and make sure of the power requirements. But I'm pretty certain everything seems stemming from the video card issues though.

bpoage

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Trust me I scoured the manual but voltage settings for things was not among them. Anyways, I fixed the problem. I cleared the BIOS, re-set the video card and reconnected all the power attachments and re-seated my memory. Seemed to cure the problem.