GTX 590 Versus Quadro 5000

phenom-opteron

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
why arent people playing with cards such as the Quadro 5000 in stead of gtx 580 or gtx 590 or mabey a better question is why arent they giving the gtx 590 2.5 GB of gddr5 when the technology is there? i just want to run one card one bad ass card not two i want one multi gpu card with 2.5 - 6 GB of ram i just want to upgrade every 8-10 years.

Solution
Phenom,

I'm going to try to explain this to you as best as I can, so please take my rant as informational, and nothing personal.

The reason Quadro cards are a bad choice for playing games on is simply because that is not what they are intended to do. They may seem like a good idea, because they can have similar (or nearly identicle) architecture, but with lots more ram...but they are designed for things like graphic design, where large images are being produced and edited.

The drivers for these cards make them operate to perform best in this area, which is almost the exact opposite of how you'd want a graphics oriented driver to act. In a game, you want the card to draw a picture quickly, and send it out quickly. With business...
Cost and the fact that the drivers for workstation cards water down performance in many applications outside professional applications. Would you shell out $3k for a card just to play games when a $500 consumer card can own it for a fraction of the cost. The GTX 590 like the 6990 is going to be out of the reach for most gamers period.

phenom-opteron

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
well yes i think i would shell out the loot but i like every one else would wait for a good time to buy also i dont want to own just one game i want to own them all for a period of a few years also i like to watch a blue ray and play games and surf the net on 3 large led monitors and i dont want to over clock it to do it i just want one card also sli is a cheap way to upgrade so i am not hating on it i just prefer one card i have the gtx 460 twin froz at 900 and it runs great but there could be more the advantages of the 580 and the 460 where i have are that huge i am excited to see what the 590 can dowould i get bottlenecking on a card like the quadro 5000?

Don't bother unless it is something you really want to do. The GTX 590 will cost close to a thousand bucks and will be rare. Plus dual gpu cards have many problems and own two. I suggest that you either get a second gtx 460 or go for a gtx 580 and sli later. Two gtx 580 will blow a single gtx 590 away any way. The quadro cards just avoid them unless you got something that really sucks up more than 2gb vram. Just avoid them ok if you go that way you will be making a mistake.

phenom-opteron

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
never mind the price it is not bad considering you would not have to upgrade for several years and could even sli it later (quadro 5000) its not that i dont appreciate your advice i do but i am the type of person that has to know why i am making a decision why not the quadro why would it be a mistake i feel that all gaming class GPU's will have 2-5 GB of ram think of where they were 5 years ago right now as it is i upgrade my gpu about once a year .

phenom-opteron

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
good point but dont you think that the quadro 5000 is just about there now and in three years i will sli for another 3 years if i had the quadro 6000 it would be even better like 4 years until i sli so i get 8 years of service out of the setup. and still stay on the top i will just take them with me onto the next board and cpu

no that is (no offense) a horrible idea, quadros are workstation cards and for gaming the high end quadros will perform similarly to a low end nvidia 4 series, yeah not a good idea for gaming... get a gtx 580 and then sli down the road, (if you must have nvidia) otherwise there are some more cost effective solutions that will get the job done but the quadros are absolutely not for gaming regardless of there high amount of vram and currently 1 gig is enough to run any game that I throw at it, I have crossfire 6870s and the 2 gig model cards offer very little improvement (if any) over there 2 gig counterparts even at resolutions greater than 1080p, imo the difference is a frame or two in most cases, not noticeable, what are your full current system specs first of all? your rig may not be powerful enough to run one gtx 580 let alone all of this crazy sli talk, first list your full system specs then we will work out a graphics solution for you. Thanks

bottom line buying any quadro card for gaming would be a huge waste of money

Please list your full system specs and your monitors resolution...

phenom-opteron

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
phenom 965 black @ 4.0 Ghz / zalman cooler

asus mobo M4a89td pro/usb3

GTX 460 @ 900 Mhz twin frozer

8 GB mushkin

zalman gs1000plus case

well let me say i am not having a problem gaming with my current setup i rebuild a new comp every year for the most part i was more just asking the community what they though. also on another note it looks like there will be no more SLI with AMD cpus. it is the gpu cards that i dont want to change but it seems that is just a requirement. i am going for a big build this year in the summer i am waiting to see if the bulldozer platforum is going to support SLI if not then i am going to build this keeping in mind that i dont want to build any more every year mabey every five years depending on how long ddr3 last....

EVGA classified sr-2

X2 intel zeon w3680 six core

X2 pny quardo 6000

16GB mushkin 8 pre cpu

keep in mind i do alot of video and picture editing

darkphox

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Phenom,

I'm going to try to explain this to you as best as I can, so please take my rant as informational, and nothing personal.

The reason Quadro cards are a bad choice for playing games on is simply because that is not what they are intended to do. They may seem like a good idea, because they can have similar (or nearly identicle) architecture, but with lots more ram...but they are designed for things like graphic design, where large images are being produced and edited.

The drivers for these cards make them operate to perform best in this area, which is almost the exact opposite of how you'd want a graphics oriented driver to act. In a game, you want the card to draw a picture quickly, and send it out quickly. With business oriented quadro cards, you want a detailed picture drawn very precisely, which takes more time and resources (this would result in lower frame rates!).

Additionally, the way GPUs work (and most computer stuff in general), you have brand new architectures released every 2-3 years that revolutionizes the industry. Looking to the past, you wouldn't be able to play any modern games on a card from 10 years ago. Even if it were the best available at the time!

For example: the 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 was released around 2000-2001. It had 128mb of Video ram, used the 4x AGP interface, supported 8x AA, and DirectX 7! Even IF you were able to SLI them (a technology not available at that time), With directX 9.0c being released in 2004, the VD5 would not support a game made after 2005-2006...and that's a lenient estimate.

So flash forward now...if you got a card today, quadro or mainstream GTX...ten years from now you'd have
A. a nice paperweight/conversation piece, or
B. still be playing games that came out in the early 2010's

because: you buy a gtx 580(for example) today. in 3 years you SLI a 2nd, 6 years a 3rd. In 6 years, games will be designed using probably Direct X 13, which your cards would not support at all. A new interface will probably be available, so if youd be stuck on an old motherboard to maintain compatability, and this is assuming you could find a GTX 580 in 3 or 6 years! I had dual 8800GTXs in SLI back in 2007-08. In '09 I could no longer find one outside of Ebay at a rediculous price.

It may not be the easiest thing to understand, but please take the word of the folks on this thread that a quadro card is a bad idea because it is not designed to play video games. Also, whatever you get will NOT last you 10 years unless you are intending to spend the next 10 years playing games that are built on DX11. There are a lot of options out right now, as the the current generation is comming to a close with the release of Nvidia/AMD crowning achievement dual-gpu monsters is near. If you are single monitor gaming, you can get a great card to last you 2-3 years for $300 or less. I hope this helps you in some way, even if just a little bit!

Solution
lol that will be a huge waste and im not spending time explaining to you why again. 2 quadro 6000s? quadro drivers are not geared towards gaming, (is see the note about video editing) regaurdless of how powerful they are the drivers will cripple them in games, good lord and xeon is totally not nessesary as well as the 16gb of ram you will see very little gains in games when using anything above an i5 processor, you could build a really fast machine for about 1000 that would in my opinion be more than ample for whatever editing youdo and games for many years to come instead of spending 10000 or whatever you might on this build that is just rediculuous and unless you are pixar you will not need something like this to do video editing. this is my opinion and if you still arent listening then have fun with your rediculous build... also why are you so worried about amd sli? we will have to see what bulldozer brings but most likely the current sandy bridge chips will likely meet or beat there performance. The good thing about intel is usually it allows for sli or crossfire.... not trying to be mean but imo if you went with the setup you listed above it would be a huge waste of money

phenom-opteron

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

thank you for the response that is the answer i was looking for there are so many people on this forum that just say things that you need to dig and dig to get the right answer so thanks for taking the time to explane but one other question what about the video and picture editing will a gaming GPU handle these type of things?

phenom-opteron

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

look my whole box and life is not gaming i run multiple OS, vmware workstation, game, video and picture editing and do all sorts of things with it if i just wanted to game i would buy an xbox and be done with it but i am looking for a happy high end medium simply doing what some one says just because it sounds right or simply because they said it is never a good idea i am a professional in my field and i did not get there easy or with out doing my homework if you dont want to explain why in detail then dont post here i welcome your advice but dont wine because i ask for more detail that is what this site is about information and detail this is not my first box build as for the comment on the ram as i said i am thinking about it and i dont want to upgrade for a bit each processor getting a dedicated 8GB is a good idea yes i wont use it all right away the day i build it but let me tell you i have 8 GB now and have seen my box use up to 7GB when multitasking and running vmware so i am just looking towards the future and mabey i will find it is not a ggod idea providing some detailed info arise that helps me make that decision. i like SLI and i love AMD hence my screen name and yes as i said i am wating for the bulldozer platform to see what it can do yes the above mentioned setup is expensive but not a waste i think. again thanks for what you offered.

sorry you didn't like my comment have fun with your build it will be outrageously fast for what it does I had the impression that you were more focused on gaming, I would just never buy premium price workstation or mainstream discrete gpus such as the 6000 or the gtx 590 they are generally the worst performance/price, let alone two but if you have the money and actually think one day you will use it then it will no doubt run what ever video editing apps you utilize, if you are a professional in your field then you obviously must have a good grasp on what type of hardware you will need heading into the future.. However I can't really imagine a scenario that you would need the power of two quadro 6000s unless you are pixar, but again I'm heading into a bit of a gray area myself when speaking in regards to video editing.

phenom-opteron

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

nope not pixar and i wont need two this conversation has changed my mind for the time being at least about the GPUs and you are right the top ones are never the best performance for the price that is why i bought the 460/gf104 and not the 580gf110 i will most likely go to the 560/gf114 x2 this year and stick to my normal upgrade schedule dont take my comment personal it was not ment in that way clear and cut explanation help people make decisions better then short ones i am a server builder and work station builder and not a gaming box builder but electrician and commercial refrigeration tech by profession i build servers and workstations as a hobby to afford my own box dreams if you will the thing that started this was i played just cause 2 on a workstation that i built for someone with two quadro 5000 and it was amazing graphics smooth and clean with great frame rates so i was just curious what the community thinks and i got a bunch of good answers so thanks.

great im glad you know where you are headed, I think gtx 560 sli is a great way to go, I play just cause 2 with crossfire 6870s and the graphics are quite amazing, have fun with your build, not sure what cpu you are working with right now but I think gtx 560 sli combined with the i5-2500k is a great combination for just about anything and oftentimes the gtx 5 series cards can handle video editing, and tasks other than gaming quite well, enjoy and let us know when you get your system built because Im curious as to what you go with and how it performs.... it should be very nice.

threaper666

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011

I hope I am not late for the party but I totally understand your concern and I would like to say that a gtx 590 will come close to the performance of a quadro 5000 since now as we know gtx 590 has a 3gb vram plus cuda that really helps in video editing and rendering stuff software that support cuda ( premiere pro cs5).applications like these require more of vram ..so if you are looking for a cheap way to have both worlds gaming and high performance professional work then gtx 590 is the way to go.... but another thing that I would like to point out sli would not help in better performance in professional applications it does not scale that way...if you would want a scalable performance then you would need a quadro type card...also if you are planning to do a lot of video editing then I would suggest at least 24 gb of ram that is the recommended amount for good performance on after effects yeah I know it uses a lot of ram...trust me on this one I have been waiting for gtx 590 and 24gb ram kits for the same reason... another thing I am no fan boy I had a 5870 and I sold it for a gtx 480 with a lot of loss but it helped in video editing better with mercury playback engine..the bottleneck was it was only 1.5gb and the higher speed and more vram given by gtx 590 is a welcome..another card if you are able to find will be a perfect price/quality is gtx 580 3gb by palit or gainward...its essentially a gtx 590 and its is lower priced...the moral is stick to nvidia gtx 590 if you want to use your pc for professional applications too..now to come back to your main question why not a server card like the quadro ..answer simply it is not fast enough...whoa well the calculation on server based cards are different they dont require faster mhz they require complex floating point thing algorithms which is a bit different than game rendering ...game rendering requires fast real time renderings for good fps...that is one reason why the quadro cards not good for gaming..another thing the drivers they are aimed for those calculations rather than fast renderings..I hope this gives you a better perspective...please don't hesitate with more questions that is what we the community are all about ..helping each other understand...that is how I have my understanding which has helped me build many rigs...