Ideas for digital camera to photograph landscapes

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 25, 2005 2:54:36 AM

I'm off to the US in late Summer to visit the Grand Canyon and Yosemite
National Park. I'm looking to take a camera that is capable of taking
semi-decent shots of the landscapes I'm going to encounter. Any ideas on a
not too expensive (£500 UKP max), easy to use digital camera suitable for
what I want? I've had alook at http://www.dpreview.com/ but the choice is
overwhelming and I don't know exactly what I'm looking for! Any
recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Dan
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 2:54:37 AM

The two ways to do landscape photography with digital camera is either
get a digital camera with a very wide angle lens, say a 20D with the
10-22mm Canon lens, this we call the expensive approach, the other
method is to stitch a number of photos together to make one large and
wider angle photo, this we all the cheap but time consuming approach.
I use the stitching approach myself, using PTGui as the program to
stitch the photos together with.

If you do decide to stitch photos together you will want a camera that
can be set to full manual, so that all the exposure of the stitching
are exposed exactly the same.

If you don't wish to do either of these make sure you get a camera that
goes pretty wide angle.

Scott
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 2:54:37 AM

Dan wrote:
> I'm off to the US in late Summer to visit the Grand Canyon and
> Yosemite National Park. I'm looking to take a camera that is capable
> of taking semi-decent shots of the landscapes I'm going to encounter.
> Any ideas on a not too expensive (£500 UKP max), easy to use digital
> camera suitable for what I want? I've had alook at
> http://www.dpreview.com/ but the choice is overwhelming and I don't
> know exactly what I'm looking for! Any recommendations would be great.

Here is a 20D 10-22mm vertical photo at 10mm (~16mm equiv). You could
stitch a bunch of these together for an awe-inspiring display.
http://www.fototime.com/6C1683955B72897/orig.jpg

Or, you could lay it on its side like this horizontal, same equipment,
same condition:
http://www.fototime.com/3DB7A2457447A35/orig.jpg

The 22mm end of the zoom (22mm, ~35mm) takes you to the wide end of the
zoom in the following, much handier for viewable panorama results.

Panorama-ing takes more patience and skill than I have at the moment,
but even an after-thought attempt yields a mildly interesting result.
This one is _via_ an 8MP Nikon CP8700 that has a Panorama-assist mode
where the first shutter release locks exposure and subsequent frames are
the same until you turn off that mode. It also adds a ghost of the right
third of the previous shot (second shot to the right of the first) in
the viewfinder for easy overlap, a feature I was not very careful to
utilize in this instance. A tripod with pano-mount would help, but this
one is just spin-on-your-heel at the 8700's widest angle (approx. 35mm
in 35mm terms). Keeping close-in features out of the scene will help.
There is a WA convertor that will take it to ~28mm, I think, but the
difference was not significant in the very similar CP5700.
http://www.fototime.com/93CD1E3BB904FBE/orig.jpg

The important record of your Grand Canyon and Yosemite (no Monument
Valley? Aaargh!) visits will be in your memory. Don't get so involved in
the photography that you fail to appreciate the experience.

Enjoy your trip.

--
Frank ess

Forecasting is difficult. Particularly about the Future.
—Deepak Gupta
February 25, 2005 2:54:37 AM

In article <0PtTd.216229$K7.88652@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
"Dan" <reply-to-newsgroup@newsgroup.com> wrote:

> I'm off to the US in late Summer to visit the Grand Canyon and Yosemite
> National Park. I'm looking to take a camera that is capable of taking
> semi-decent shots of the landscapes I'm going to encounter. Any ideas on a
> not too expensive (£500 UKP max), easy to use digital camera suitable for
> what I want? I've had alook at http://www.dpreview.com/ but the choice is
> overwhelming and I don't know exactly what I'm looking for! Any
> recommendations would be great.

What other criteria do you have? I suggest you stop by a good camera
shop in your area and handle a few of the cameras in your price range.
See which cameras have the most intuitive controls, the most useful
features, and feel most comfortable in your hands. This will help you
narrow down the cameras you want to buy.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 2:54:37 AM

On Thursday 24 February 2005 15:54, Dan wrote:

> I'm off to the US in late Summer to visit the Grand Canyon and
> Yosemite National Park. I'm looking to take a camera that is capable
> of taking semi-decent shots of the landscapes I'm going to encounter.
> Any ideas on a not too expensive (£500 UKP max), easy to use digital
> camera suitable for what I want? I've had alook at
> http://www.dpreview.com/ but the choice is overwhelming and I don't
> know exactly what I'm looking for! Any recommendations would be great.

You aren't asking for much, are you?

Since you say "semi-decent", I'm assuming that you're not a "serious"
photographer. So, no tripod, no waiting for just the right lighting or
that cloud to move into just the right position or coming back a half
dozen times to take the same scene at various times of day to get the
perfect shot. I'm assuming you just want good snapshots, some of which
may be printed to 8x10 and hung on the wall, but most will just be
4x6's and end up in an album or just put in a box stored under the bed.

For a small consumer P&S, look on dpreview for a 4-5 megapixel model
with an 35mm equivalent zoom of about 28mm to 70 to 90mm.

I found the Olympus C-3030Z fits my snapshot needs. It's 3.3 MP, but is
out of production and only available used. Today, they go for about
$125 US on eBay. Zoom equivalent 32 to 96. There is also the 4040, a
4MP version (out of production) as well as the 5050 and 5060, 5MP ones,
along with the 8MP 8080.

If a DSLR is more to your liking, get a used Canon D30 -- 3.1 MP -- with
a Sigma 18-50 DC lens (28 to 80 equiv.). I got mine off eBay in Mint
condition for $440 US and bought the lens new at a local camera store
for $140. If 3MP is not good enough, then the 6MP Canon D60 should do.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

Dan <reply-to-newsgroup@newsgroup.com> wrote:
> I'm off to the US in late Summer to visit the Grand Canyon and Yosemite
> National Park. I'm looking to take a camera that is capable of taking
> semi-decent shots of the landscapes I'm going to encounter. Any ideas on a
> not too expensive (?500 UKP max), easy to use digital camera suitable for
> what I want? I've had alook at http://www.dpreview.com/ but the choice is
> overwhelming and I don't know exactly what I'm looking for! Any
> recommendations would be great.

I'd say for what you want, modest zoom, a reasonably wide angle, but
decent optics and electronics are clearly in order.

Olympus do a family of cameras specifically aimed at people wanting
wider-angle than most of the top-end compacts - C-8080 comes immediately
to mind, being something like 28-140mm and 8 megapixels. (There is a
converter that brings it down to 22mm or so available, as well as a
telephoto converter that takes it out to about 200mm). Street
prices in the UK are about £450 and it gets good reviews.

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "Send lawyers, guns and money...."
Anonymous

In article <56mdnROd6ILVEIPfRVn-1g@giganews.com>, frank@fshe2fs.com
says...
> Here is a 20D 10-22mm vertical photo at 10mm (~16mm equiv). You could
> stitch a bunch of these together for an awe-inspiring display.
> http://www.fototime.com/6C1683955B72897/orig.jpg
>
> Or, you could lay it on its side like this horizontal, same equipment,
> same condition:
> http://www.fototime.com/3DB7A2457447A35/orig.jpg

*Drool* So... much... field... of view!

I want a 20D and $800 to spend on that lens.

Anyone need a kidney? I'm selling!
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Anonymous

Dan wrote:
> I'm off to the US in late Summer to visit the Grand Canyon and
> Yosemite National Park. I'm looking to take a camera that is capable
> of taking semi-decent shots of the landscapes I'm going to encounter.
> Any ideas on a not too expensive (£500 UKP max), easy to use digital
> camera suitable for what I want? I've had alook at
> http://www.dpreview.com/ but the choice is overwhelming and I don't
> know exactly what I'm looking for! Any recommendations would be great.

I would take the Nikon Coolpix 8400 as it is compact and robust, and has a
24mm wide-angle view without any accessory lenses. It is 8MP and has an
excellent quality lens. Shop around, but it may be touch over GBP 500.
Alternatively, wait and buy the camera in the USA. The dollar makes
prices cheaper, and the camera will likely cost less by late summer.
Snag - you won't be experienced in using the camera, and may have to pay
import duty or VAT should you declare it on your return. You could also
buy it duty free at your UK departure airport (Dixons offer this) and not
need to pay further tax.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:45:35 PM

David J Taylor wrote:
> Frank ess wrote:
> []
>> Panorama-ing takes more patience and skill than I have at the moment,
>
> Then try the free AutoStitch...
>
> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Thank you. If it works as shown, it'll be amazing!

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Frank ess wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Frank ess wrote:
>> []
>>> Panorama-ing takes more patience and skill than I have at the
>>> moment,
>>
>> Then try the free AutoStitch...
>>
>> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
>>

> Thank you. If it works as shown, it'll be amazing!

Try it and see, I've been impressed, and would like to hear your
comments....

Cheers,
David
February 25, 2005 9:53:32 PM

David J Taylor wrote:
> Frank ess wrote:
>
>>David J Taylor wrote:
>>
>>>Frank ess wrote:
>>>[]

>>>Then try the free AutoStitch...
>>>
>>> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
>>>

>>Thank you. If it works as shown, it'll be amazing!
>

> Try it and see, I've been impressed, and would like to hear your
> comments....

It sure was easy. The only thing I did was go into the settings to
increase the default 1400 pixel wide image to 3000. File Open Go.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:53:32 PM

On Friday 25 February 2005 10:53, David J Taylor wrote:

> Frank ess wrote:
>> David J Taylor wrote:
>>> Frank ess wrote:
>>> []
>>>
>>> Then try the free AutoStitch...
>>>
>>> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
>>>

>> Thank you. If it works as shown, it'll be amazing!
>
> Try it and see, I've been impressed, and would like to hear your
> comments....

Too bad they haven't compiled a version for Linux and Mac. Although, a
commandline version should be simple enough: The basic stitching
engine should be OS independent. It's only the GUI interface that's
dependent.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

Thanks for all the replies. No,I'm not a serious photographer...and I am
visiting Monument Valley, by the way, as well as some other places.

The D20 is too expensive for me but the Olympus C-8080 or the Nikon Coolpix
8400 are interesting prospects as I could probably get them for £380 odd. I
wouldn't mind being able to enlarge a picture past 8 x10 so I could make a
decent size wall picture. It would need to be compact as I'll be doing a lot
of walking with it.

Thanks

Dan
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:00:53 AM

> Dan wrote:
>> I'm off to the US in late Summer to visit the Grand Canyon and
>> Yosemite National Park. I'm looking to take a camera that is capable
>> of taking semi-decent shots of the landscapes I'm going to encounter.
>> Any ideas on a not too expensive (£500 UKP max), easy to use digital
>> camera suitable for what I want? I've had alook at
>> http://www.dpreview.com/ but the choice is overwhelming and I don't
>> know exactly what I'm looking for! Any recommendations would be great.
>>

> Here is a 20D 10-22mm vertical photo at 10mm (~16mm equiv). You could
> stitch a bunch of these together for an awe-inspiring display.
> http://www.fototime.com/6C1683955B72897/orig.jpg
>
> Or, you could lay it on its side like this horizontal, same equipment,
> same condition:
> http://www.fototime.com/3DB7A2457447A35/orig.jpg
>
> The 22mm end of the zoom (22mm, ~35mm) takes you to the wide end of the
> zoom in the following, much handier for viewable panorama results.
>
> Panorama-ing takes more patience and skill than I have at the moment, but
> even an after-thought attempt yields a mildly interesting result. This one
> is _via_ an 8MP Nikon CP8700 that has a Panorama-assist mode where the
> first shutter release locks exposure and subsequent frames are the same
> until you turn off that mode. It also adds a ghost of the right third of
> the previous shot (second shot to the right of the first) in the
> viewfinder for easy overlap, a feature I was not very careful to utilize
> in this instance. A tripod with pano-mount would help, but this one is
> just spin-on-your-heel at the 8700's widest angle (approx. 35mm in 35mm
> terms). Keeping close-in features out of the scene will help. There is a
> WA convertor that will take it to ~28mm, I think, but the difference was
> not significant in the very similar CP5700.
> http://www.fototime.com/93CD1E3BB904FBE/orig.jpg
>
> The important record of your Grand Canyon and Yosemite (no Monument
> Valley? Aaargh!) visits will be in your memory. Don't get so involved in
> the photography that you fail to appreciate the experience.
>
> Enjoy your trip.
>

> --
> Frank ess
>
> Forecasting is difficult. Particularly about the Future.
> -Deepak Gupta

Wooo! Nice pic.

I am already working on convincing my wife that I must get this lens.
!