Sign in with
Your question

Dual monitors not working. Many details included.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 7, 2011 12:48:05 AM

What I ultimately want to accomplish is having my CRT monitor as my primary display, and my LCDTV as my secondary display. I can get limited functionality on both screens when I have my LCDTV as my primary display, but I can not get the TV to display anything as a secondary monitor. I will go through my troubleshooting process so far.

Primary/Secondary = primary and secondary displays for windows.

CRT/LCD = my two displays

1/2 = Port 1 or two on the video card, 8800GT 512mb.

Windows XP professional, 4gb RAM, video driver version 6.14.12.5896, creative X-fi sound card.

Started with only CRT as primary in 1. Works just fine. Shut down computer, added LCD to 2. CRT works fine, LCD displays nothing. Checking the extend desktop to LCD as a secondary on 2. Restarted. LCD still does nothing. Shut down, Put LCD as port 1 primary. Works fine. Shut down, added CRT on 2. Booted, nothing displays on secondary CRT 2 until windows desktop appears on primary LCD 1. Extend desktop is checked on sec CRT 2, mouse can move between the two. With both displays working I attempted to open Nvidia Control Panel (NCP). NCP will not start. Process appears in task manager for 1 second, then ceases. Checking the primary display box on CRT 2 does nothing, all Icons are still on LCD, does not prompt for a restart. As soon as I uncheck extend desktop onto sec CRT 2, which does not prompt for a restart, NCP will open. when I try to set NCP to dualview and select either or as the pri/sec display it crashes. When I recheck the extend onto sec CRT 2 box, it asks for a restart again, this is while NCP is working. After restart, it is back to the same thing, Both displays are working but NCP will not open until extend sec CRT 2 is unchecked, then it will open, attempting dualview still crashes NCP. Unchecking sec CRT 2 to allow NCP to start does not prompt for a restart, but rechecking it does.

So here is basically where I am at. I don't want the LCD as the primary 1 display, but I can only get both screens working, for troubleshooting purposes, when it is. NCP will not open when both screens are working, and when both screens are working, it does not ask for a restart when you check or uncheck anything in the settings tab in desktop properties. Only after the secondary display is disabled will NCP run and the settings tab of desktop properties will start asking for a restart.

This sounds like a driver issue to me, because the hardware seems to be fine, and windows shouldn't be a problem. The problem is that I uninstalled fully all Nvidia drivers a few months ago, and even used Guru3D driver sweeper to remove any traces, in safe mode of course. After reinstalling the drivers, I was in the same situation I am now, I just didn't want to deal with it till now.

If reinstalling the driver will indeed fix this, I want to know how I should be doing it, if I should be running driver sweeper or some other program after, and when I am installing the driver fresh, should it be in safe mode or normal windows, and should I have the monitors plugged in the way I want them, CRT 1 primary, LCD 2 secondary, or just have CRT in 1 and nothing else?

Thanks a ton for reading all this, whoever does.

--bump--
!