xtreme 15

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hey Guys,

I am looking for a cooler for my CPU (LGA 1366) I have an Haf x nvidia edition case and I'm just wondering if this one would fit on my case. Its the Hydro Series™ H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler. (http://www.corsair.com/cooling/hydro-series.html)

If you have any suggestions for coolers let me know. I only want the best :)

Thank You

Solution
I think that it is not disputed that water cooling yields lower temps than air cooling. And the factory sealed units are not the same as the DIY loops.

But Casualbuilder is right, air cooling is cheaper and effective enough to handle moderate oc.

I myself, am looking to run an i5 2500k up to 4.5GHz @ around 1.3V and a rather basic Xigmatek Gaia sd1283 air cooler is giving me average temps of 70'C at 100% load in a HAF X case.

I am almost definitely going to get a factory sealed H60 or H100; the only issue for me is dollar vs temp (how much I have to pay per degree of cooler temps).

Google "Corsair H100 reviews" to see some actual numbers on performance and temps. No doubt that the H100 yields cool temps.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Many reviews on Amazon and NewEgg say that the H100 can be mounted to the inside of the HAF X. Assuming that the nvidia edition doesn't add anything to this area, you should be fine.

But the real question is: is the H100 that much better than the H60 for the extra cost? I have the HAF X and have been considering both of these options lately.

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
i agree i think the H100 is priced higher for a lil more. Just bear in mind you would best want to mount this cooler outside if possible as the cooling system is a radiator, however im sure the Haf X has ample space and cooling area for it to be mounted inside

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
why liquid cooling? My roommate and i both bought Zalman coolers, 92mm ball bearing units. keep temps quite low even with extreme OC'ing. only costs around $45. Liquid cooling imo is so over rated, and can be messy if you dont know what you are doing. Air cooling is not as inferior as people say, and quite frankly, most quality air cooling hsf's offer almost identical performance. I would recommend saving yourself $50-$60 and putting it toward a hdd, a second gpu, or an extra fan if your chassis will support another.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I think that it is not disputed that water cooling yields lower temps than air cooling. And the factory sealed units are not the same as the DIY loops.

But Casualbuilder is right, air cooling is cheaper and effective enough to handle moderate oc.

I myself, am looking to run an i5 2500k up to 4.5GHz @ around 1.3V and a rather basic Xigmatek Gaia sd1283 air cooler is giving me average temps of 70'C at 100% load in a HAF X case.

I am almost definitely going to get a factory sealed H60 or H100; the only issue for me is dollar vs temp (how much I have to pay per degree of cooler temps).

Google "Corsair H100 reviews" to see some actual numbers on performance and temps. No doubt that the H100 yields cool temps.

Solution

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
If you buy any Corsair water coolers, you are definitely going to need to by new fan. Corsair fans are soooo terrible and soo loud that if you don't buy new fans, theres no point getting the product even if it cools your CPU to 0C because of the noise. So the cost of H100 is what, 100 dollar? Add to that the cost of 2 noctua fans at 12 dollars each. Look to sped 120 or so on the entire kit.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
"I think that it is not disputed that water cooling yields lower temps than air cooling. And the factory sealed units are not the same as the DIY loops."

I totally agree with that, apologize if i sounded like air cooling was 100% the same. The factory sealed units are very good, but any idiot and screw up factory sealed units. I guess the better question, like Vollman 1 brought up was OC'ing. if you plan to go heavy, you may NEED a liquid system, but for minor to even a slight heavy OC, a high end air cooling system is more than adequate for low, stable temps. Its all about money. Even for a lot of high end or gaming systems, your best bang for your buck (degree/dollar) is air cooling. Its what you can afford and what your "ideal" load temps are. everyone is different.