HELP! Is the motherboard or graphics card the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ2012

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
HI

I recently had my computer die on me. I have replaced the PSU with a Corsair TX750 and can now power up the machine.

I cannot get a picture on my monitor it comes up no signal. I know it is not the monitor as have tested it on another machine. I have also tried another monitor on this machine and no signal.

Will it be the motherboard or the graphics card or something else possibly? I have connected the PSU with the PCI connector to the graphics card. The fans on the graphics card come on still.

I have:

Motherboard: 04011 - Asus P5Q Pro (Intel P45 chipset, Crossfire)
Graphics card: 08017 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB

I do not play games on this machine so don't particularly need a gaming set up.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Make sure all your cables are plugged back in correctly. Most likely you jarred something loose when you put the new power supply in or forgot to connect a cable. check all your connections. Try removing any extra cards so it's just one stick of ram, one video card and nothing else.

bucknutty

Distinguished
So the computer powers on and the fans spin but it does not post.... This could be any thing.

First double check the power wires. You got the 20+4 main power connector.
Dont forget there is the 4 or 8 pin extra power wire by the cpu on the board.
Check that you got the PCI-e power wire in the gpu.

I would start by removing, blowing out with air, and reseating the ram. If that does not work,
remove, blow out, and reseat the GPU.

If those steps dont help i would reveiw the guides on what to do when a new build does not post.

JJ2012

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Ok guys I think it is the graphics card as I tried the one from my other computer and could see something on the monitor. I also tried the one that I think is not working in the other machine and could not see anything on the monitor.

So my new question is what is a good reasonable price (cheap) grapics card for the above motherboard?

I do not use the machine for gaming.
I do use the machine for web browsing and would like something decent like the one I had. The cheaper the better unless it is worth spending a bit more on something that will last longer. No more than £80/£90 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.