Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HELP! Is the motherboard or graphics card the problem?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 27, 2012 1:29:06 PM

HI

I recently had my computer die on me. I have replaced the PSU with a Corsair TX750 and can now power up the machine.

I cannot get a picture on my monitor it comes up no signal. I know it is not the monitor as have tested it on another machine. I have also tried another monitor on this machine and no signal.

Will it be the motherboard or the graphics card or something else possibly? I have connected the PSU with the PCI connector to the graphics card. The fans on the graphics card come on still.

I have:

Motherboard: 04011 - Asus P5Q Pro (Intel P45 chipset, Crossfire)
Graphics card: 08017 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB

I do not play games on this machine so don't particularly need a gaming set up.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.
a b V Motherboard
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 27, 2012 1:46:03 PM

When you tested the monitor on the other PC did you use the same cable?

If you find it's not a problem with the cable, can you get a hold of a friend's video card just to test?
Score
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 1:50:35 PM

Make sure all your cables are plugged back in correctly. Most likely you jarred something loose when you put the new power supply in or forgot to connect a cable. check all your connections. Try removing any extra cards so it's just one stick of ram, one video card and nothing else.
Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 27, 2012 1:51:01 PM

So the computer powers on and the fans spin but it does not post.... This could be any thing.

First double check the power wires. You got the 20+4 main power connector.
Dont forget there is the 4 or 8 pin extra power wire by the cpu on the board.
Check that you got the PCI-e power wire in the gpu.

I would start by removing, blowing out with air, and reseating the ram. If that does not work,
remove, blow out, and reseat the GPU.

If those steps dont help i would reveiw the guides on what to do when a new build does not post.
Score
April 27, 2012 1:51:48 PM

Yes I used the same cable. I have another machine so will try that graphics card. Will report back!!
Score
April 27, 2012 9:33:19 PM

Also consider that something may be making contact with your board like a screw or piece of metal and grounding out.
Score
April 28, 2012 5:55:28 AM

Ok guys I think it is the graphics card as I tried the one from my other computer and could see something on the monitor. I also tried the one that I think is not working in the other machine and could not see anything on the monitor.

So my new question is what is a good reasonable price (cheap) grapics card for the above motherboard?

I do not use the machine for gaming.
I do use the machine for web browsing and would like something decent like the one I had. The cheaper the better unless it is worth spending a bit more on something that will last longer. No more than £80/£90 though.
Score
a c 478 V Motherboard
a c 206 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 28, 2012 6:35:58 AM

look into the 550ti or 7770/6770 cards.
Score
April 28, 2012 6:37:40 AM

Ok thanks I will take a look. Does it have to be any particular make?
Score
a b V Motherboard
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 28, 2012 10:36:43 AM

If you're not using it for gaming, I'd get a Geforce 210. I use one in a PC I built as a DAW. Works great for non-gaming apps/general use

This Asus card even comes with a little OC @ $35:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any card should last you at least a few years. If it doesn't, call the company out on their warranty. The 210 above has a 3-year limited.
Score

Best solution

a c 478 V Motherboard
a c 206 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 29, 2012 8:23:42 AM

if your looking for card that are less money then 560ti and 7770 and then 550ti. these have a little more gpu power then your old card. if your looking to save some money http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
is just an updated version of the card you had with the older 520 gpu that was replaced a few days ago with the oem version of the gt 630
April 29, 2012 10:31:37 AM

Best answer selected by JJ2012.
Score
April 29, 2012 10:32:59 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice. I have decided to get the 550ti I may even start to play the odd game now too!

Thanks guys this site is so helpful.
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 29, 2012 6:15:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!