My sapphire 6850 is crapping out on me

poor scrouge

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I bought it last month, newegg RMA just ended, and I just had a crash in ES:IV (Oblivion). I had this happen to me once before coming out of sleep mode, but I didn't think anything of it because when I pressed in the HDMI connector to my monitor, things started working again. The power button on my HAF 912 wasn't turning the computer off (If it had been a CPU error due to overheating, I wanted to get it off so it could cool down as fast as possible), so I turned if off with the switch on the PSU (Corsair 750W TX). I let it sit for a minute, then pressed the power button. Got the "windows wasn't shut down properly" message, and I entered normal start up. Been running Prime 95 for 30 minutes, everything is going fine, and my highest temp has been 40C, average around 37. Yesterday, when I was seeing what games my hardware could handle, This website : http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ told me that I have 751MB of RAM on my video card, which is a 1GB model:
1tsmky.png

Is it time to see how good sapphire's service is, buy better fans for my case (which will be hard, since I already have filled all my fan slots with a 200mm, 3 120mm's, and a 140mm with good CFM"s), or something else?

Those websites are wrong a lot. Try running dxdiag from within windows. (Can be run from the Run dialog as "dxdiag").

Also, you can Right-Click on the Desktop, go to Properties, and look at Advanced Display settings. This might be easier than dxdiag.

poor scrouge

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Tried that, and it also is telling me I have 751 mb of memory on the GPU.

EDIT: I'm on the default BIOS for the MSI 890FXA GD65, which was known to have PCI-E bugs. Should I flash the BIOS, and if so, how? Also, the drivers I installed from AMD might not have installed completely, because while my WEI for graphics after doing that went from a 1.0 to a 7.7, when I check the driver its still the default windows driver (its version 8.821.0.0, which is a number I remember reading when looking at the current dirvers when I first built my system) installed before I even built my system.