Sign in with
Your question

Cannot add PC to my home network

Last response: in Networking
August 16, 2010 12:40:29 PM

Hello,
I am attempting to connect 4 computers on my home network. I am using Windows Vista, Linksys w615 switch, Netgear N300 wireless router. My wireless modem resides in my shop maybe 1000 yards from the house, I have my switch connected directly to my modem. From my switch I have a cable down to the house and connected to my wireless router. Two PC's in the house connect to the router, one hard wired and the other wireless. The two clients in the house are able to see each other on the same network and full access is allowed as should be. How ever, the two clients back in the shop which are connected to the same switch that feeds my router, are unable to see the clients on the network in the house. All 4 clients sit on the same logical IP address from the modem, just cannot join the clients in my shop to the home network. Are there any suggestions as to what I mght be missing?

More about : add home network

Anonymous
August 16, 2010 1:00:08 PM

Firewalls ?
m
l
August 16, 2010 2:11:06 PM

You sort have the set up backwards and that is the reason why you cannot see the other two computers. The two computers connected to your switch are in a separate network from the two connected to your router. All four computers should be connected either to your switch or your router. If you can connect the router to your modem and assuming your router has for LAN ports open connect two of the computers to the router, then connect the switch to it and then connect the last two computers to the swtich. I gurantee you will see all four computers in your network, offcourse as long as you have set up a work group.

Let me know!
m
l
!