Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gt 240 in a dell inspiron 530 issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 7, 2011 3:25:15 AM

Hello,

I have a dell inspiron 530 with a intel core 2 duo running vista. 300w power supply and a Foxconn g33mo2 motherboard. I've tried contacting tech @ Dell but they're hopeless and not willing to take the time to tell me anything since my warranty is expired. I've been beating my head against the wall trying to get a card to work in this machine. I started with a PNY gt210 which after i install it and reboot i get the splash screen but then it goes blank and won't load windows to even install any drivers. Returned that one assuming it was a bad card, bought another only I found a better deal on an evga gt240 1gb ddr3 which had the same power requirement as the other did @300w 18a which is what my supply is. Same thing splash screen and darkness. Pull it out and hook it up as was and all is fine again. It does have onboard video which i dissabled through Device Manager and uninstalled which didn't make a difference. I've read online that some motherboards have a jumper that need to be reconfigured to dissable onboard video but i don't know if that's the case here or maybe if a better power supply would do the trick? I hate to throw more $ at this thing and still have it not work. Can anyone help??? Thanks!!!!
March 7, 2011 3:29:02 AM

It has onboard intel G33/G31 express chip currently
Score

Best solution

a c 163 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2011 2:20:15 PM

Don't disable the onboard video. Start up the PC with the new video card in, connect the monitor to onboard video, do you see the screens OK? If you see your screen, install the video drivers for the new card, reboot, move the monitor over to the new card.

If you don't see the screen, move the monitor over to the new card, screen/no screen? If screen you should be set. If not, take out the video card, go into the BIOS and check for the "default video" setting, you should have 3 options. IGD (intergrated) and a few others. Select one of the others. Shut down, plug in th enew card, turn PC on with the monitor on the new card, see what you get. If you get no video at all again, reset the BIOS to get the onboard video going again, and you may have a power suupply or motherboard issue with the new video card.

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2011 9:13:32 PM

Pain in the ass foxconn boards.
It is likely the Psu is not able to supply the PCI-E slott with 18 amps, I recon if you got a bigger power supply things would be ok again.
Score
March 7, 2011 9:34:15 PM

Thanks for the replies,

If i leave it hooked up to the onboard a screen comes up saying a video adapter is detected and to shut down the system and plug the monitor into the adapter, that's all i get there. when i hook it to the card the splash screen comes up and goes dark and won't boot, when i go into bios to check the setting it has auto detected it and set it to pci-ex. Still just the spalsh screen and darkness afterwards.

I went down today and bought a new psu , 500W Antec. Same thing........ well at least i have a better psu not that i need it if this dang card won't work. Worth a shot.

Does anyone know if there are jumpers on this foxconn that might need to be re-configured to eliminate the onboard graphics maybe? I do see 2-3 pin jumpers on the motherboard labeled "clr cmos" Clear cmos? i know just enough to be dangerous so didn't want to mess with that unless i know for sure.
Score
a c 163 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 8, 2011 12:37:46 PM

There are very rarely jumpers to enable/disable hardware on motherboards. There are just too many devices to do that with. The whole board will be filled with jumpers/switches.
Score
March 9, 2011 8:58:24 PM

Best answer selected by cadcam.
Score
March 9, 2011 9:01:03 PM

Thanks for the tips, i give up. Ive tried everything but apparently these cards aren't compatable with my motherboard i guess, unfortunately i bought the card and psu from ultimate electronics which is going out of business and won't accept returns.... oh well live and learn
Score
a c 163 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2011 12:43:07 PM

Does not have to be a total loss, unless the cards are bad. For a bit over $200 you can get a full AMD QuadCore CPU/MOBO/RAM upgrade. You already have a new video card and power supply to use with that.
Score
March 14, 2011 2:24:35 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Does not have to be a total loss, unless the cards are bad. For a bit over $200 you can get a full AMD QuadCore CPU/MOBO/RAM upgrade. You already have a new video card and power supply to use with that.

i was thinking the same thing but after looking around i just couldn't figure out which board would fit my case and i also read somewhere that windows is tied to the bios of the motherboard in Dells? Would i need to buy windows again when i install the new mobo?
Score
March 14, 2011 5:55:35 AM

cadcam said:
i was thinking the same thing but after looking around i just couldn't figure out which board would fit my case and i also read somewhere that windows is tied to the bios of the motherboard in Dells? Would i need to buy windows again when i install the new mobo?

I would switch to an AMD cpu and another mobo/case. They sometimes have combo deals on Newegg. You might be able to find a combo for 'round a 100$. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY WINDOWS AGAIN. I don't think so anyways (I am a newbee). If you have Windows seven it will automatically install proper drivers. Vista might be easy as well (not as easy but). XP might take some installing new and erasing old work but you wouldn't have to install Windows again I don't think. Unless maybee its an hdd problem then you should go on Ripley's Believe it or Not. But I think if you bought one of those combos for around a little more than 100$ then you would be OK.
Dell use to be known for making part only to fit there computers so I don't know if you could just buy a mobo. Is it ATX or mini or ITX or just a "Dell".lol
yours truly,
NEWBEE
Score
March 14, 2011 7:50:00 AM

I think if i replace the mobo i'd pretty much be eliminating those bastards (Dell) hoo hoo!
The bios thing wories me though, if those bastards did make sure ANY upgrade has to go through them....... they can go to...... won't buy another Dell.
Anyway , this is the first pc i've had problems upgrading.... First Dell too.
I'm running Vista , go figure everytime i buy a new pc I get the oddball POS system. Day late and a dolllar short i guess.
If i weren't a wrinkly old bastard maybe i'd be up on these things but i have learned DON'T TRUST THE SALESMAN AT STAPLES!! He'll sell you his soiled underware if he can. O.k. productive....... From what i've seen online anyways (it's full on fact if it's online.......... or so i've been brainwashed to believe)
It may be a possibillitiy that windows may need to be reinstalled using a retail disc. I've never had to replace a MOBO so i wouldn't know for sure. I'm an old timer but newbee too. I learned on a Texas Instruments computer, i'd be rich by now if i stuck with it.............Idiot!!! where's my chapstick? .............. Maybe i'll just make myself a frigging cassadilla.....O.k. i need a breather tube so i can't post after a few beers. All i know is that it's an Intell g33 motherboard, I've had to replace the dvd/rom drive and the pulgs were standard so maybe the rest will be? Again from what i've read (oh *** here we go again) Dell uses they're own plug configurations......
I can handle the upgrade but everything i find online is conflictin as far as compatibility. Can it really be as simple as buying a new case and MOBO from Newegg and hooking up all of the componentcs i currently have?
Score
a c 163 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 14, 2011 7:18:48 PM

The newer Dells should not have any custom power supply plugs, they did at one point, and also messed around with moving the pins so a different motherboard would not work with the power supply.

The case looks to be a standard size one, any ATX motherboard should fit in it.

As far as the Windows setup, first make sure your files are backed up. Then after all the components are in the case, boot up off the Vista CD, and do a Repair installation. That will re-install the files and re-initilize the hardware. You will need the driver disks from the motherboard to do that setup.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 14, 2011 10:21:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!