Cant install windows 7?

collin_03

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
well i got everything all put together and its a brand new computer and hard drive and all that stuff, but everytime i turn it on it says"disk boot failure, insert disk and press enter" but i dont know what is wrong

and yes i put the primary boot device to CD rom and still wont detect it but idk what to do so

keep in mind everything is new too :bounce:

jb6684

Distinguished
When the system boots up, press the key to enter BIOS (usually "Del" key). Once their look at the drives the BIOS "sees" a hard drive should be listed by brand and/or model number. And you should also see your DVD drive again by brand or model.

Sorry, have to ask, it a drive is SATA you need two (2) cables to hook it up:
- one SATA cable thin, flat usually all red/blue/or black connect drive to SATA 0 or 1 on the motherboard
- one SATA power cable from the power supply

And as WolfShadw points out, be sure the drive is DVD or DVD R/W, since the Win7 disk is indeed a DVD disc....

collin_03

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
well i its a cd rom drive so that is probly the problem but it says its a dvd rom but idk and its ide

but i have a ide to SATA converter thing that made it work, but it still says please insert disk and i also have the wimdows 7 upgrade disk instead of the windows 7 starter disk so yahh

Wolfshadw

Titan
If the drive actually has a DVD label on it, then it is a DVD drive, so that's not the problem. The problem is your DVD. It's an upgrade disk and that requires that an OS is already installed onto your hard drive. If you have another operating system disk (XP or Vista), then you should install that first and then use your upgrade disk to get to Windows 7. If you don't have an original OS disk, you will need to purchase a full version of Windows 7.

If you install XP first, here is a tutorial for upgrading to Windows 7 from XP
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan

collin_03

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
umm idk what drives are on it i have everything plugged in though , but i took it to a computer store and they said i need a new hard drive.

it doesnt really say there are any drives though so idk

and we got our money back for the windows 7 upgrade disk but should i buy another windows 7?

4745454b

Titan
Yes, you'll need a retail copy or "full" version of windows if you have no current license.

Your drive could be dead, but that doesn't normally happen when "everything is new too". As I said back in the first reply, "Its happened before, you did plug in both the drive data and power cable right?" Find the harddrive and make sure you have both the SATA data and power cable going into the drive. Then make sure the SATA cable plugs into the board.

collin_03

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Alright

And idk thats just what the guy said at the store but yes I have everything plugged in right but I'll make sure there for sure plugged in rigt and where could I buy windows cause they only had upgrade window versions.

4745454b

Titan
The only reason you should be thinking about XP is if you already own a full version of a Windows XP installation CD. If you do not already have a copy, DO NOT go buy one. If you have to purchase a full version of an operating system, purchase Windows 7.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6832116986

or if you have a Microcenter nearby:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0361170

-Wolf sends

I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to have more issues then just a possible DOA drive. I asked about drives in the system, and you didn't reply. Wolf gives you links to buy a new copy of windows, and you're still asking where to get it? I/we can't take your hand and lead you to exactly where you need to go. You have to do this yourself.

TRENDING THREADS