Sign in with
Your question
Solved

5770 Problems? (crossfire vs single)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 7, 2011 5:33:48 AM

First here are my system specs:
Processor:
AMD 2.6 Quad Core 9950 (Black edition running at 3.2 Ghz)
Memory:
OCZ High Performance DDR2 PC2 8500 (4 GB)
Hard Drive:
Western Digital 500GB
Video Card:
CrossFire XFX 5770s
Monitor:
19.5" Samsung (1360x768)
Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Motherboard:
Biostar TA790GX 128M
Power Supply:
Rosewill RBR1000-M 1000

When I run Furmark with crossfire enabled I get almost double the score then with crossfire disabled.
But when I run Black Ops it seems crossfire isn't even better then without. With crossfire disabled i get slightly better and steady FPS. Playing F1 2010 also shows this to be true...

I have the latest drivers and profiles..

What gives?

March 7, 2011 10:39:37 AM

Did you start with one 5770 card and then add a second at some later point in time?
March 7, 2011 1:40:26 PM

Yes- I have tested each card individually. And they both do work.
Related resources
March 7, 2011 2:14:28 PM

Ok. I also started with one card. It was a 5850. After a few months, I got a second then 3rd card. Each time I added a card, I had to uninstall, then re-install the drivers for everything to work as expected (drivers pending) in crossfire.

One time I swapped PCIe slots with the 1st and 3rd card (3rd became 1st, 1st became 3rd). This required me to uninstall then re-install the drivers before everything worked as expected (again drivers pending).

With each configuration change, each of my cards worked independently, though for them to work in crossfire, I had to uninstall and re-install the drivers.

I suggest you uninstall and re-install the drivers. Use the 'Express Uninstall' option from the Catalyst Installation Manager for the uninstall. Once uninstalled, install the latest version of Catalyst Control Center and drivers downloaded from the AMD web site. Also, make sure the Crossfire Interconnect bridge is attached correctly to both adapters. Once you've installed the new drivers, check for a primary and linked adapter under your hardware devices in Catalyst Control Center. Once you've confirmed both cards are showing OK in Catalyst, download and install the latest Catalyst Application Profiles CAP file (also from the AMD web site). This will contain driver optimizations for individual games.

Let us know how it works out.

Best solution

March 7, 2011 2:27:17 PM

I've heard of a lot of people having issues with crossfire in Black Ops, so it could very easily be the game itself. The fact that your Furmark score doubled says to me that it's most likely the game and not a problem with your setup.
March 8, 2011 4:06:48 AM

ubercake said:
Ok. I also started with one card. It was a 5850. After a few months, I got a second then 3rd card. Each time I added a card, I had to uninstall, then re-install the drivers for everything to work as expected (drivers pending) in crossfire.

One time I swapped PCIe slots with the 1st and 3rd card (3rd became 1st, 1st became 3rd). This required me to uninstall then re-install the drivers before everything worked as expected (again drivers pending).

With each configuration change, each of my cards worked independently, though for them to work in crossfire, I had to uninstall and re-install the drivers.

I suggest you uninstall and re-install the drivers. Use the 'Express Uninstall' option from the Catalyst Installation Manager for the uninstall. Once uninstalled, install the latest version of Catalyst Control Center and drivers downloaded from the AMD web site. Also, make sure the Crossfire Interconnect bridge is attached correctly to both adapters. Once you've installed the new drivers, check for a primary and linked adapter under your hardware devices in Catalyst Control Center. Once you've confirmed both cards are showing OK in Catalyst, download and install the latest Catalyst Application Profiles CAP file (also from the AMD web site). This will contain driver optimizations for individual games.

Let us know how it works out.

I have done this multiple times, with multiple versions of CCC, Drivers and the latest CAPs.

Any other ideas? This sucks...
March 8, 2011 4:19:59 AM

kennyj313 said:
I've heard of a lot of people having issues with crossfire in Black Ops, so it could very easily be the game itself. The fact that your Furmark score doubled says to me that it's most likely the game and not a problem with your setup.

In battle field bad company 2 I only get a VERY small gain with crossfire enabled.

It really seems like running one card is better then having crossfire enabled. I dont get it.
March 18, 2011 12:21:39 AM

Best answer selected by Dokioto.
March 18, 2011 1:10:52 AM

There I selected a best answer now leave me alone lmao.

Problems not fixed, but at least I wont get anymore emails.
!