Comp heat and exhaust fan

Swaga727

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
I built my computer yesterday, my first build but I am having some concerns and wonder if anyone can weigh in.

The program speedfan is telling me my cpu is sitting at around 85C while idle, this seems pretty damn high to me for doing nothing. I wasn't to sure I put on my thermal paste correctly, could this be the problem? Its at 85C with both fans of my thermaltake frio on full speed. If thermal paste is the problem, should I just get it off and then when I reapply it this time, I just put a pea sized glob on the cpu and then let it spread when I press the thermaltake on it? My CPU is an Intel Core i5-2500K.

My other problem is my top rear exhaust fan seems to be behaving strangely. It will or will not start spinning when I turn on my computer, it just seems to choose at random when I start up. If it doesn't start up, if I give it a tap with my finger it starts up and then it spins by itself. I had it directly hooked to the motherboard before and it gave my this problem, so I hooked it up to the PSU and it is still persisting. In all I have two thermaltake frio fans, the front fan, and the rear exhaust fan. The case I am using is the Cooler master HAF 912.

Thanks for assistance.

Also for reference of all the heats Speedfan is telling me atm

System 30C
CPU 83C
Aux 66C
SMIOVT4 30C
SMIOVT5 30C
SMIOVT6 30C
HD0 29C
CORE0 28C
CORE1 28C

well, you really don't want to run it like that, so don't turn it on.
85C is like, almost melt down (90 IS MELTDOWN)
I t sounds more like the motherboard is not supplying correct voltage to the CPU fan.
But you did not list your hardware.
Are you SURE that your CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan connector on the motherboard?
If it is, then it could be a bad motherboard. The motherboard has regulated power for the CPU fan, which is supposed to speed up as the CPU becomes hotter.
But in your case, the fan is not running fast enough (must be running too slow)!

It seems difficult to believe that the paste on the heatsink is THAT bad!
Must be a fan problem??? Fan is not getting enough speed from motherboard fan circuit???
When you bought this heatsink, did it have a plastic patch on top of the heatsink pad?
did you peel off the plastic patch, before you mounted the heatsink to the CPU?

Removing the heatsink from the CPU:
take off the clamp, slide the heatsink left to right gently, until the heatsink loosens from the CPU. lift it gently away from the CPU...
DO NOT try to pull the heatsink off the CPU. It must be loosened gently! Failure to loosen the grease before lifting off the heatsink may rip the CPU out of the socket.

Swaga727

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
I think you misunderstood what I am saying, the CPU fans ARE working. The fan that is not working is my rear exhaust CASE fan. The thermaltake frio has a little knob on it that allows me to regulate how fast I want it to run, and it is WORKING, the rear exhaust case fan is the problem.

Here are my full specs

mobo - Asus P8P67-M
case - Coolermaster HAF 912
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K
RAM Gskills Ripjaws 4gx2
GPU- Radeon HD 5870
PSU - Corsair TX650W
HDD - Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5
Disk drive - Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
CPU Cooler - Thermaltake Frio

I'm honestly thinking I just put on the thermal paste on poorly, for the rear exhaust case fan, I have no idea.

If the case fan is defective would I be able to just send it in to coolermaster without sending back the whole case?

Also to clarify even more, I have my two cpu fans turned all the way up, speedfan is telling me over 2500 rpm, so this is probably a thermal paste problem?

And one final thing, I also got cpu temps with real temp, and its telling my all of my cores are in the high 20's and low 30's. Why is speedfan giving me such a high CPU temp, but the cores are so low in comparison?

TRENDING THREADS