Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 5850, Potential Issue or Inevitable? (FPS Issue)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 7, 2011 7:19:26 AM

Hey guys,

So recently Newegg had a sale on the ASUS 5850 and I decided to bite the bullet and grab it. I had an 8800gts and was enjoying it, but I figured I'll need to upgrade for games coming out in the future.

However, I'm not sure if its just buyer's craziness or what...but I just FEEL like my card isn't doing what I thought it would. Now, I'm going to list a bit of my hardware and, to be honest, it is pretty old. I grabbed most of my computer parts about 3 years ago, so I'm ASSUMING that's probably whats going on...however my friend who has literally the exact same PC (besides the ram, his is a bit worse) said he was running the games I was trying to run with "no problem", though we didnt both try FRAPS or anything and it's possible my eye is a bit more sensitive to problems.

I have:
-Windows 7 32 bit
-G.SKILL 2GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
-ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
-ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU 1gb ddr vid card. 1680x1050 max res on my monitor (BTW, nothing I use is overclocked..yet...No idea how to do it x_x)

Now, I recently booted up the Crysis 2 mp demo and played. The game runs anywhere from 25-57 fps, no matter which graphic setting I put it on. ( I did hear there was some issue some players were having with ATI, but I'm honestly not sure if its my card, my computer, or ATI) My friend said he had no issue. I did realize that I had some lingering Nvida drivers, despite having uninstalled them the correct way, using CCleaner and then removed the drivers. I uninstall the Radeon drivers, reinstalled them again, and then here I am. It fixed one weird problem where Crysis 2 loaded all messed up, so I'm assuming there was POTENTIALLY some kind of driver interference. I also saw a bit of random stuttering in TF2 unrelated to lag, and it worried me there, but I havent tried it after I did this reinstall. I also tested it out in Dragon Age and, although it seems fine in some areas, I do feel slight stuttering in some areas and I feel like...upgrading my card should have fixed that completely, ya know? I dont know, its just weird. I'm just really hoping the card isnt defective or something.

I also just ran a heaven benchmark on dx11 and scored 29.1 fps, which seems terrible but I have no real idea how the benchmarks work, my friend scored the exact same thing.

So what do you guys think?

Is this something where getting a newer 4gig stick of ram might increase performance or is it the old processor/motherboard? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated and would definitely help ease my crazy mind.

Thanks again.
a c 128 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 7:50:23 AM

cactusgod said:

So what do you guys think?

Is this something where getting a newer 4gig stick of ram might increase performance or is it the old processor/motherboard? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated and would definitely help ease my crazy mind.

You have a couple of things going on. The 5850 is a good card, but not a great card. I think your expectations for the card are a little on the high side. The Crysis titles are extremely demanding even of the most capable video cards.

Here are some fps numbers with the first Crysis title from a GTX 460 review which includes 5850 performance numbers:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-gf1...

With Crysis 2, I don't think the expectation should be much higher and it seems like your current performance is comparable.

I definitely wouldn't get too hung up on the synthetic benchmarks (ie heaven) unless you're competing for some kind of score and overclocking.

Unless you're currently running with defective RAM, getting a new stick isn't going to noticeably affect your video performance.

Now you mentioned stuttering... what do you mean by this? Does the video flicker? Or does the screen freeze or "stick" at different points on and off (possibly when there's a lot of action on the screen at a particular point in time) and then continue smoothly thereafter? This issue could be caused by a few things.

What kind of power supply are you working with (make/model)?
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 2:52:59 PM

The card you upgraded to is not going to be much better than the 8800 considering your system. If you upgrade to a 3 gig + CPU you may see an upgrade. Your system is bottlenecked by your CPU and motherboard more than the video card.

Going to a quad core running on a new motherboard with some fast DD3 RAM would make upgrading from a 8800 worthwile.

Look at the system specs they use in the above article ubercake linked, it's much faster than your system.

Intel Core i7-980X (Gulftown) 3.33 GHz, 6.4 GT/s, 12 MB L3 Cache, power-saving settings enabled. Turbo Boost enabled

Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 (LGA 1366) X58/ICH10, BIOS F5

Memory
Kingston HyperX DDR3 (3 x 2 GB) KHX2000C8D3T1K3/6GX @ DDR3-1333 7-7-7-24

Hard Drive
Intel SSDSA2MH160G2C1 160 GB SATA 3Gb/s

m
l
Related resources
a c 128 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 3:29:37 PM

hang-the-9 said:
The card you upgraded to is not going to be much better than the 8800 considering your system. If you upgrade to a 3 gig + CPU you may see an upgrade. Your system is bottlenecked by your CPU and motherboard more than the video card.

Going to a quad core running on a new motherboard with some fast DD3 RAM would make upgrading from a 8800 worthwile.

Look at the system specs they use in the above article ubercake linked, it's much faster than your system.

Intel Core i7-980X (Gulftown) 3.33 GHz, 6.4 GT/s, 12 MB L3 Cache, power-saving settings enabled. Turbo Boost enabled

Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 (LGA 1366) X58/ICH10, BIOS F5

Memory
Kingston HyperX DDR3 (3 x 2 GB) KHX2000C8D3T1K3/6GX @ DDR3-1333 7-7-7-24

Hard Drive
Intel SSDSA2MH160G2C1 160 GB SATA 3Gb/s

At first, I thought it might be a bottleneck as well, though Cactusgod is getting framerates similar to those in the review.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 3:48:47 PM

I would suggest you download Driversweeper and purge your pc of leftover drivers.
Some games won't run until you have this.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?Fami...
Also i'll assume you have the latest Net.Framework from MS on your pc.
Win7 32 bit isn't helping you either memory wise.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 3:56:43 PM

I'd say if anything the CPU is holding you back.

Try running 3DMark 11 and see how your results are.
m
l
March 7, 2011 7:16:20 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

By stuttering I meant that it looked like, sometimes, I was getting the "lag" effect where people would stop moving and then kinda rubberband to their new location in games, but it was very slight. This happened a few times in TF2 only. Im gonna check it again now after I post this.

The only other problem seems to be, I guess, framerate drop, but what really confuses me is that I go down to like 30-40fps sometimes in League of Legends! It's weird because there are certain areas in Crysis 2 where I'm getting 50-60fps before it gets into a high traffic area, so you'd think a game as simple as league of legends wouldnt have ANY problems. I cant remember if I used to go that low, but it seems like at the very least I thought the card wouldn't let that happen heh, so maybe my expectations WERE too high.

Another friend of mine just built a computer and he has 8 gigs of ram with windows 64 bit and a quad core processor and such and has the 5850 and claims that its absolutely smooth..which is what made me think it might have been the processor or something. I'll make him run FRAPS today and see what he gets.

I double checked and went to that directx link and it says a newer or similar version is installed so no update is needed.

Also, my power supply is actually ah uh.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do realize that it says 530w and I'm fairly confident the card said it was 550w minimum, but I was told by a friend that it shouldn't be an issue, so I wasn't really even considering it. Is it a problem? Also, if it IS the cpu, is there any way I can slightly overclock it or is it too old and crappy to be useful?

3dmark results = http://3dmark.com/3dm11/784630 (so terrible! I dont think I went above 10fps most of the time...)

Also, I tried running a driversweeper program from guru3d, but oddly enough when I told it to get rid of all nvidia, my windows wouldnt restart. I'm assuming one of those categories is (probably chipset heh) is related to the motherboard or something, but I'm not sure. First time I tried using that kinda program. I had to use system restore to get everything back and working.
Running it right now I see nvidia -chipset, display, physx. (I guess they're still there?!) Which ones should I actually try and sweep?

Honestly though, guys.... I paid about 129ish for my new radeon 5850 when all is said and done, so..at that price, was it worth upgrading from the 8800gts if I plan on upgrading my cpu/motherboard and possibly ram within this year? On that note, for anyone who has some spare time and wants to answer this question (no pressure though, I'm infinitely thankful for everything so far) is there a relatively good motherboard/processor combo on newegg for under 200 that would be considered a major upgrade?

Thanks again for ALL of your help.

Just as an edit: I played a round of TF2 again and I got a few graphic hiccups where it would freeze for a sec and resume, but to be honest I'm fairly confident that it happened to be with the old card as well and I didnt see that same stuttering/lag issue I saw before
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 7:39:53 PM

If you're getting these issues in online games... very very possibly it's a connection issue.

I think your CPU is a bit of a bottleneck tho, honestly.

As for that PSU, Raidmax is not a good brand. Look at Antec or Corsair.
Look at this Corsair 550: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

It has 41A on the 12V. That's the kind of power you want.
m
l
March 7, 2011 7:39:58 PM

I upgraded from a system similar to you with a GeForce 8800 GTS to an i7-930 with a single Radeon 5850 and there was an incredible difference between the two. There was a two year gap between the two systems (the first one died) but I'm going off of feel, recorded FPS from the same game in both systems, and synthetics.

The 8800 GTS would've been out of place for mid-high end gaming with a 4/6 core system with DDR3 RAM, in my opinion. Getting the 5850 now and upgrading the rest later is more or less sound.
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 7:54:37 PM

For an upgrade that would match the video card. Over 200 but not by much. Issue is that you don't want to move to a motherboard that can use DDR2 RAM, it will not get you a nice boost with a good CPU. So you are stuck with a full CPU/MOBO/RAM upgrade.

CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MOBO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 7, 2011 8:02:34 PM

hang-the-9 said:
For an upgrade that would match the video card. Over 200 but not by much. Issue is that you don't want to move to a motherboard that can use DDR2 RAM, it will not get you a nice boost with a good CPU. So you are stuck with a full CPU/MOBO/RAM upgrade.

CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MOBO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Oh wow that Mobo looks cheaper than I thought it would be. Interesting! Thanks for the links.

As far as the lingering nvidia crap from drivesweeper, what do you guys think I should remove?
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 8:11:02 PM

cactusgod said:
Oh wow that Mobo looks cheaper than I thought it would be. Interesting! Thanks for the links.

As far as the lingering nvidia crap from drivesweeper, what do you guys think I should remove?

Only Display Drivers and PhysX if you want but some games need that (for CPU phsyx physics).
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 8:12:38 PM

If you're getting the same FPS no matter what GPU settings you use, then it suggests the limiting factor is your CPU. The 5850 is possibly a bit overkill for 1680x1050 in most situations, and just right in others ^_^. If you overclock your CPU a little, like 15% or so, and notice a difference, then you may want to get a better CPU or at least overclock that one more. Anyway, make sure to uninstall the drivers. Run driver sweeper to remove any traces of nVidia drivers and their setting as well as past ATI drivers. Then install updated drivers and you should be good to go.
m
l
March 7, 2011 8:40:45 PM

Ok I'm gonna wipe out just the lingering display drivers and then...are you saying I should remove the current driver I have, run the sweeper, remove that, and THEN reinstall the new drivers?

BTW, my friend with the exact same computer went into FRAPS with me in Crysis 2 and we actually got pretty decent results. On Hardocore mode, the highest setting, we actually got an average of 50fps, believe it or not. It seems the one game mode, Crash Site, lowers the FPS because more things are going on. We stood in the same spots and looked at the same objects and got similar FPS, so I'm assuming that means there's nothing wrong with the card (or maybe even the drivers? dunno)
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 8:50:25 PM

That sounds about right for Crysis 2. Similar to what I'm getting.

IMO, just uninstall (via control panel - add/remove programs) all your ATI and Nvidia stuff. Then run driver sweeper on display drivers. Then restart and install ATI drivers.
m
l
March 7, 2011 10:52:39 PM

Thats precisely what I did. I uninstalled all of it the normal way then went into safemode and ran driver sweeper, swept everything (also deleted the C:nvidia and C: ATI) which kept popping up in the sweeper indicator. Booted it up again, no driver installed, checked sweeper and both ATI and Nvidia-display were empty (I kept physx) and reinstalled the newest ATI driver.

Hopefully this should resolve any other issues, if there are.

Thanks for ALL the help. I think my friend and I are going to consider overclocking probably sometime in the summer when he has the time. That should probably last us until the holiday season where i spend some dough.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 11:58:01 PM

Your PSU, replace it now with something good before you overclock or anything. There was a thread recently where someone did not have an ample psu and once he replaced it his fps skyrocketed. Also, huge cpu bottleneck, simple as that. overclock if you are capable of doing so. aim for 3ghz, that cpu should get there quite easily. I actually run crysis 2 demo smoothly on my comp and have an 8800gts (1440.900 res) with a core 2 duo @ 3ghz. no stuttering or lagging as you describe. Also, when was the last time you completely reinstalled everthing, clean windows install? If it has been a few years you may want to consider doing this and you will find your system much speedier.
m
l
March 8, 2011 6:10:54 AM

Thanks crowe,

It's been a long time. I probably wiped it out a year ago when I upgraded to Windows 7. I was actually going to do a clean install to not only upgrade to 64 bit, but also to eliminate the possibility of any "phantom drivers" lying around causing me trouble. My friend, who has the same processor, said that the CPU could easily be clocked to 3ghz as well, so I figured maybe I'd do that until next Christmas or so when I'll have some extra cash lying around for a new processor.

m
l
a c 128 U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 11:12:17 AM

wolfram23 said:
If you're getting these issues in online games... very very possibly it's a connection issue.

I think your CPU is a bit of a bottleneck tho, honestly.

As for that PSU, Raidmax is not a good brand. Look at Antec or Corsair.
Look at this Corsair 550: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

It has 41A on the 12V. That's the kind of power you want.

I'm in agreement with Wolfram at this point. The rubberbanding effect you're seeing could be network lag or the bottleneck. Do you see this when you play Crysis or other single-player games (not online)?
m
l
March 9, 2011 2:39:38 AM

I have experienced rubber-banding as a result of lag before and I dont THINK it's that. Although, it has disappeared, whether or not the driver install was the issue or not I'm not sure.

Do you think the power supply that I listed is potentially ruining the card or not allowing it to run at full power?

I was told this by some guy

"Especially with radeon cards, make sure your PSU can support the active-boosts that ati has in its cards. It'll intelligently overclock itself according to the needs of the game, but if you don't have a PSU to support it then it'll just use up too much wattage and clunk down for no reason. You can always reset this by setting your own overclock standards in the ati catalyst control center so that it'll never auto-clock, but double check your PSU and have at least 650 W to be safe."
m
l
a c 128 U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 10:04:27 AM

cactusgod said:
I have experienced rubber-banding as a result of lag before and I dont THINK it's that. Although, it has disappeared, whether or not the driver install was the issue or not I'm not sure.

Do you think the power supply that I listed is potentially ruining the card or not allowing it to run at full power?

I was told this by some guy

"Especially with radeon cards, make sure your PSU can support the active-boosts that ati has in its cards. It'll intelligently overclock itself according to the needs of the game, but if you don't have a PSU to support it then it'll just use up too much wattage and clunk down for no reason. You can always reset this by setting your own overclock standards in the ati catalyst control center so that it'll never auto-clock, but double check your PSU and have at least 650 W to be safe."

The 5850 downclocks while you're in 2D mode and clocks to spec (for the particular card) when in 3D mode.

One thing concerning about the power supply is the 17A on the second 12V rail. The 5850 requires up to 18A. Your CPU probably pulls up to 12A from the first rail (with a capacity of 20A).

You should get a PSU with either a single rail with 30A+ at a minimum or get one with 20A+ on each rail.

m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 7:34:28 PM

i dont believe a radimax psu could produce its rated power at realistic in case temperature anyway, even if it did meet the reccommended spec. a good psu at 550w from antec, seasonic or corsair would be fine.
m
l
March 10, 2011 3:34:48 AM

Honestly..I'm so confused.

I ran two programs my friend recommended, uh...msiAfterburner and msi kumbstor. I switched it to AA x's 2 (at his reqest), 1680x 1050 (which is my max rez) and switched it to 3d dx 11. I got 39 fps. My friend says that's beautiful, considering what I have. The max temp was 60 degrees, 37 idle. He says my video card is absolutely fine.

My problem is...I can play Crysis 2 with kinda choppy fps..ok thats awesome. I load up Battlefield Bad Company 2...ALSO 30-40 fps even on EVERYTHING switched to low AND a resolution downgrade, looking at different things in the game...and then even the TINSY league of legends game is showing a lower fps. I CANNOT figure it out. Maybe it honestly is that my video card isnt getting enough power during the intense gaming, I dont know. I'm truly at a loss and I'm actually ultra depressed right now. I was so excited to get this video card and all it has really caused me is heartache ;( To be honest I'd return it right now if I could.

Do you guys think that it really can be a PSU problem? I mean, I'd say it was a CPU bottleneck..but shouldnt I be able to handle LOWEST settings?

I just updated windows completely, did a .net framework update...i've tried to update directx but i havent seen an EXACT link for dx11, just a dx updater..but i did install the dx that came with crysis 2 demo and my dxdiag does say it is dx11.

I did kinda remove the physx thing via uninstall because it was nvidia...does that maybe have anything to do with this?! I'm like..completely at a loss. The only thing I can think of is maybe trying to run memtest and seeing if one of my ram sticks failed, though dxdiag still shows 4 gigs (though i know thats not a reliable test) I just never used memtest before and have NO idea.

I was also thinking about running CHKDSK to see if theres anything there, but I have no idea if it would cause that issue.

I was also thinking of just wiping it all out, though I'd honestly hate to do it for no reason.

Also, I was just browsing another post and saw CPU-Z and PC wizard.. If I posted results from here, would it help anyone diagnose?

Any more advice? Thanks for everything so far guys, I TRULY appreciate the help, more than you know.
m
l
March 10, 2011 9:04:36 AM

I installed and ran both programs, could give readouts if you guys want, though I'm not entirely sure what most of it means.
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
March 10, 2011 1:40:03 PM

It really looks like you are limited by the CPU/RAM/Motherboard. There are many games that want a fast CPU as well as the video card, and just won't go any better without more power in both.

Do you have the 8800? If you plug that back in, do the results stay the same? If yes, you pretty much can bank on the rest of the system holding back the new card.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 10, 2011 1:48:48 PM

Well a 2.66ghz dual core could definitely be bottlenecking the performance of certain games. Easiest thing to do is download FRAPS, and do an FPS benchmark. Then try OCing the CPU, maybe 3ghz, and do it again. Same game and hopefully same level or whatever, and see if the FPS went up.

Also you could just keep resource monitor open when gaming and after a minute or two alt tab out and see what the CPU usage looks like.

And finally when you run Kombustor, did you notice if the GPU was getting 99% usage? How about when gaming? Sometimes there's wierd issues with low GPU usage, but if it happens in conjunction with high CPU usage then it's probably a bottleneck there.

And just for fun, what happens if you increase the graphic settings? Max res and high/very high details (which a 5850 should handle decently well).
m
l
March 10, 2011 4:50:57 PM

I'm not sure how to overclock, to be honest. Never did it before. I'd gladly try that though. Is it easy to do/is there a place I can do it at ? I'm not too concerned with the heating because I do have the heatsink and thermal paste on it.

When I ran Kombustor GPU usage went to max but CPU usage stayed around 7/ 8% o_O Is that normal?

When I increased graphic settings I didnt lose TOO much. Maybe 10-15 fps, sometimes a bit more (which is much ;p) but...

I actually do have the 8800 lying around but I havent plugged it back in because I didnt want to make the drivers all wacky and..i actually needed to use a hand hacksaw to cut away a piece of my drive cage in order to be able to fit the power plugs into the video card. Stupid Apevia case has rivets instead of being able to just be removable, so I was hoping not to go through the hassle of trying to get the card back in, but I will certainly do that if you guys think I definitely should.

Also, I dont know if this is relevant, but I haven't ever really done anything with my BIOS since I installed. One interesting issue that comes about with 5850's and my motherboard is that, now, when I hit the power button, the computer takes about a minute to start up. It happens with my friends card as well. There's a bios fix for this, but all it claims to fix is the startup time, nothing really significant from what I saw, so I hadn't installed it yet because I'm not super familiar with BIOS. Just thought I'd mention that for the heck of it.
m
l
March 10, 2011 7:16:10 PM

I'm a little confused

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...

I go here and see all of these updates....do I simply update the LATEST file, I.E. the top one or do I start from the bottom and flash up? or what. Sorry if its a dumb question..never did it before

Edit: So...I followed the instructions on Asus's website and used its built in EZ Flash program in the Setup menu under tools (when the comp first boots up) I installed the latest update, the one that specifically mentions the long startup time.

.....Computer doesnt start now! ;( ;( ;( The motherboard no longer beeps at all. There is still a green light on the mobo and everything else is running, but I literally waited for 10 minutes and no beep. I'm actually leaving it on right now while I do a bit of housework in the hopes that it'll boot up. Any ideas? There was no indication that the bios update process went wrong, I even got a "successful!" message. Is my mobo "dead" now or is there some way I can do something about it? I cant imagine being able to, since theres nothing on the screen..but i can hope.

Also, if it is absolutely dead in your eyes, does anyone have any more suggestions for a NICE cpu/mobo combo upgrade from newegg (or if you can find it on amazon that'd be great because I have a prime membership and I can get it here tomorrow)

Thanks ;(
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
March 10, 2011 8:03:10 PM

i already told you your psu is no good. get a new one.
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
March 10, 2011 8:07:59 PM

Some Asus boards have a BIOS recovery option, check your manual or online. For what I posted was really just to get you close to $200, I would not call it a NICE upgrade :-)

Check these articles for system builder, they have some selections there you can peek at for various budgets http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Special,6/Buyers-Gu...
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 10, 2011 8:12:56 PM

I would start by shutting down and resetting the CMOS. Either jump it or just unplug the battery for 10 seconds (also unplug or turn off the PSU).

Are you sure you did it right? I've used the Asus bios update tool several times no problem.

I doubt it's bricked but that is a troubling thing... you can perhaps try reflashing off a USB? There's instructions on that asus support page. Otherwise I'd say email Asus.
m
l
March 10, 2011 9:22:57 PM

I unplugged the battery just now, its been out for about 5 minutes. I wasnt sure this would work so I came down to my laptop to figure it out.

I honestly have no idea. I followed the instructions to the letter and it was SUPER easy. I wouldnt consider myself computer illiterate, though I'm no expert, and I DO believe I did it right. Not sure exactly what could have gone wrong. Going to put the battery back in now and see brb.
m
l
March 10, 2011 9:29:17 PM

OK! Unplugging the battery worked, to a point. When it first booted up, it now said something like "CMOS Checksum Error- Loading original" I tried to write it but it was SO fast.

Now, if I do nothing, it loads the screen, i can go to the bios menu now. If i let it go, as if i were booting up normally, it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I checked the current Bios version and it was 1903, the one I updated

Should I try and re-flash with the same USB drive again and see what happens?
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 10, 2011 9:37:12 PM

Ok so then it sounds like your HDD was probably set to IDE, but when you installed windows it was on ACHI or RAID. So you need to switch to the right one. Otherwise maybe the boot order changed, and you have a CD/DVD in the drive...
m
l
March 10, 2011 9:39:50 PM

OH...ok. I'll go try and change the boot order lol.

Thanks a ton wolf. REALLY appreciate it. BRB
m
l
March 10, 2011 9:51:28 PM

OK. I'm UP AND RUNNING! THANK YOU SIR. I changed which hard drive of mine boots first and it worked.

There's only one other issue that actually started happening BEFORE I did this bios flash.

Now, after I put my password in and it starts to log me in...the screen will go COMPLETELY black but I can move the mouse around AND use task manager and what not....but my desktop takes like 30 seconds to visually appear and then load.

No idea what this is or where it came from. Any idea?

m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 10, 2011 9:53:56 PM

Ummm not really sure might be a Windows or driver issue. I had my screen go black at login before but no mouse or anything. I could get in with safe mode but that was it, ended up having to reinstall Windows.

Oh but I'm glad it's working now, at least :D 
m
l
March 10, 2011 10:05:09 PM

Well, this is kinda funny...but it was because the date and time went back to 2009 ;p Once I reset that, shes workin, though I am gettin little stops and starts, so who the heck knows. Computers are just...insanity.
m
l
March 10, 2011 10:34:44 PM

Well...all seems back to, at best, before I flashed. Havent tried any games though. This windows boot thing is....hysterical. I just got rid of a 40 second boot problem and my computer magically decides to come up with another one. Im thinking sometime this weekend I might just go for the wipe out..upgrade to 64 bit and go from there.
m
l
March 10, 2011 11:57:37 PM

X_X Doesnt look like it did anything.

The games are performing like...they honestly feel like some ram is missing. However, I see no ram issues at all. My only thought it maybe there is some virus that I'm missing, but I ran Malwarebytes and nothing came up. Hitman also found nothing. I'm at a real loss. I'm wondering if I'm just suffering from having a good card in a bad system, so NOTHING ends up performing right. There's just so much to replace though its hard to be sure.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 1:07:18 AM

Well I definitely highly recommend you do a fresh Win 7 64bit install. Right now you can't even use all 4gbs of RAM.

After that if things are a bit better, it's definitely time to overclock but you might need to buy a CPU cooler if you don't have an aftermarket one.
m
l
March 11, 2011 1:39:44 AM

Yeah I'm DEFINITELY wiping out windows tonight, no doubt about it. I'll post back with results later on ;p thanks wolf
m
l
March 11, 2011 4:29:31 AM

Ok...fresh windows 64 bit installed. Took a hundred years...made me wonder if maybe my hard drive is going ;p I have a thermaltake heatsink that I attached with arctic silver (or whatever that's called) so I'm assuming I am fine as far as cooling goes. I'm installing some games now and seeing what works. Basically, I installed my vid card and then did every windows update available. So far so good *crosses fingers*

One thing..how does upgrading to 64 bit let me use all 4 gigs of ram?
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 6:16:08 AM

32 bit can address a MAXIMUM of 4gb ram, however, some address space is saved for other devices leaving you with between 3.25-3.5 gb. 64 bit OS can address thousands of gigabytes (unsure of exact number but its huge)
m
l
March 11, 2011 7:22:04 AM

Oh ok thanks Crowe.

Just wanted to update you guys...I decided to reinstall my 8800gts and see what was going on. I actually saw some similar results, though my 8800gts gets like 24 fps in dx9 and dx10 lol. Pretty embarrassing now that I'm looking at it. I only really tested one game I play though, because nothing is installed.

I'm reaallllly thinking I want to overclock the processor to 3ghz as soon as possible, to see if I get any better gameplay with the Radeon. I just..I dont know. You know how you just FEEL like something is off with your computer? I feel that way. Like I said, my first guess was a ram issue, but at this stage of the game I'm totally lost. I'm thinking its not the card though, which is a huge relief. It might just be that I lived with this setup for 3 years now and just got accustomed to it.
m
l
a c 128 U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 8:47:02 AM

cactusgod said:
Well, this is kinda funny...but it was because the date and time went back to 2009 ;p Once I reset that, shes workin, though I am gettin little stops and starts, so who the heck knows. Computers are just...insanity.

Taking the battery out will do that with the date/time.
m
l
March 11, 2011 6:59:35 PM

Well guys...you're going to get a laugh outta this.

After the whole mess of problems yesterday, the problems I've been trying to deal with in general..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-28-175.html

We just had a power outage this morning....something in my computer fried and now its not working. GOD DOES NOT WANT MY COMPUTER TO WORK. ;(
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 7:13:12 PM

WTF? Seriously?? I feel very bad for you right now. Are you able to return/RMA everything?
m
l
March 11, 2011 7:25:17 PM

Lol..yes seriously. Talk about coincidence! I really cant return or RMA anyting because I've had most of the components now, besides the card, for about 4 years...maybe the power supply a bit less, since its my second one (first one randomly failed.)

Looking at thatother post I made, do you think it sounds like the power supply or something worse? I was looking at http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMPSU-650TX-650-Watt-Cert... as maybe a good replacement if you think it's good for what we've been talking about, but I'm honestly just hoping its nothing else.
m
l
!