Sign in with
Your question

Dual gtx 470 or single 6970? (first post)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 7, 2011 9:06:08 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading my gpu.
I'm currently running a single gtx 470 (which is fine excpet I would like to play games like crysis at max settings with out the annoying occasional slow down) I was looking for some opinions of what to do in terms of cost effieciency mixed with gaming effiency. Either purchasing another gtx 470 (which should hopefully be fairly cheap now) or getting another more up to date single card.
Also my psu is only 700w. So I would probably need at least 900w to run sli? which would up the price of getting another gtx 470. Also would I need extra cooling running sli? my case is an Antec 900 with stock cooling.

(as you can probably tell I'm a complete noob, I've yet to even attempt to build my own machine)

-cheers

a c 130 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 9:08:48 AM

What brand PSU is it? Odds are you will need an upgrade unless it's a good ol' Corsair. Also, what resolution do you run at?
m
l
March 7, 2011 9:58:44 AM

I run at 1824x1026. (that's the only resolution I can run in crysis where objects on the screen don't flicker, which is another matter entirely) the power supply ia a "Scythe 700W Stronger Modular PSU"
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2011 10:43:49 AM

Why do things flicker? Adding another card when things are already flickering probably isn't the best idea unless you already have the reason narrowed down.
m
l
March 7, 2011 9:51:11 PM

mayankleoboy1.
I'm guessing the same brand of card isn't required?
I have a gigabyte card right now; will any two 470's do for an s.l.i connection?

jfby.
I'm not sure why they flicker; it's only Crysis that has that problem which is fixed when I'm not playing with a full screen. I've tried fiddling around with v-sync, resolution etc to no avail. It's sweet though because if I run it in window mode at 1824x1026 res I only loose a centimetre of the screen.

m
l
March 8, 2011 10:33:19 AM

That's strange, but I guess as long as it's only the one game on one setting and you can live with it, there isn't really a huge problem then.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 10:56:35 AM

According to NVidia's website, any solid 750W can handle two GTX 470s. Now if you manually overclock your system...that might be a different story.

If you want to upgrade your GTX 470 for a 6950 2GB (exact same performance as a 6970 if you know what you're doing), I'd buy a GTX 470 off of you. But really that's not that big of an upgrade. It's 20% maybe, but it'll run cooler.

What's your CPU? Can it handle to GTX 470's? If you have an AMD build, you can't even do SLI. If you can SLI, then a second GTX 470 is probably by far your most cost effective upgrade--unless maybe you can find a 5870 for $179.
m
l
March 10, 2011 1:53:51 AM

dalauder said:
According to NVidia's website, any solid 750W can handle two GTX 470s. Now if you manually overclock your system...that might be a different story.

If you want to upgrade your GTX 470 for a 6950 2GB (exact same performance as a 6970 if you know what you're doing), I'd buy a GTX 470 off of you. But really that's not that big of an upgrade. It's 20% maybe, but it'll run cooler.

What's your CPU? Can it handle to GTX 470's? If you have an AMD build, you can't even do SLI. If you can SLI, then a second GTX 470 is probably by far your most cost effective upgrade--unless maybe you can find a 5870 for $179.

Thanks for the information.
My CPU is a core i7 950. Also (if it matters) I have a asrock extreme6 motherboard and 6gb of 1600mhz triple channel ram, unfortunately my psu is only 700w so an upgrade will be required, it is a "modular psu" if that helps?

As for your comment referring to a 6950 being just as good as a 6970; if you know what you're doing; I unfortunately do not. I always had my brother to work on my pc. As I've moved out of home recently that's no longer an option, which is why I've joined this website in an effort to learn the ins and outs of this hobby.

Unfortunately it would most likely be impractical for you to purchase my gpu as I live in Australia. I'm guessing that you do not? In any case I might take your advice and go with the S.L.I. connection.
However If you do reside in Australia and you're looking for a solid socket 1366 motherboard I'd be willing to sell that to you (it was faulty and is currently being repaired. I purchased the asrock mobo to avoid waiting forever to get my pc built with the intention to sell the assus sabre tooth to regain some lost cash)
m
l
!