Power Supply Fan Running at Max Speed

atomicbumb

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
So I have a problem with power supplies and their fans running at their highest possible R.P.M. for no apparent reason. I have tried different power supplies with higher and lower wattage, all behave the same upon boot up. Each power supply works fine in other computers as well as when jump started.

Please note, this is should not be heat related or dust related because I've tried new power supplies and they aren't running hot.

Any suggestions?

This is one of those weird issues caused by the motherboard, this isnt the first time i have seen this reported, and its very obscure as 99.999% of the time the fan is absolutely independent of the system and is controlled by a sensor in the PSU itself, but some motherboards have a special gift of being able to screw with units like that. What motherboard is it and which power supplies have you tested? Ill try to dig up one of the threads i had seen this in previously.

atomicbumb

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
The PSU does not have a fan cable to connect to the motherboard, and I could not find a BIOS setting related to PSU fan. I've tried to see if the power saving settings is causing this but it doesn't seem to change it.

jahk20

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Hi, I have the same problem like you. I bought a xigmatek psu 700w and it runs at maximum speed all the time.the pc temp is low and the air that comes frome the back of the psu is cold. I really don't know why or what to do.the fan is 140mm and it should run at 600 rpm but is running at 1900 rpm.its quite bothering.

B3nnet0ft

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Hi, same problem here. I have the OCZ-ZT 750W. My mobo is a Gigabyte 990XFXA-UD3. But the PSU fan is load-controlled. Found that out on the specs on the box. I'm about to send it back because I can't take this sound anymore.