Computer keeps freezing don't know what else to do.. Please help!

lukepwh

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
At first i thought it was the hard drive because the hard drive was making a loud noise. So i bought a new one but my computer keeps on freezing while playing world of warcraft and sometimes at startup. I've tried cleaning out my computer, updated all drivers and checked the temperatures which came out around 45-60 degrees.

Computer:
Machine name: DC7600
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible Minitower
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 425MB used, 3514MB available

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

popatim

Titan
If the hard drive was clunking the definnitely replacve it. Use a utility to examin the hdd smart errors if you want but once they start clucking its time to get your important stuff off of it right away. It may already be to late...

grahamie

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

@popatim He has replaced the hard drive already.

@lukepwh did you happen to inspect / replace the cable ? and if its sata make sure it’s not kinked anywhere. You could also try booting to a live os ( via usb or dvd ) if you think it’s the hard drive . But I doubt that’s the problem if the same issue remains after the replaced hard drive was installed.

Im still suspicious of the psu not being up to snuff it sounds like its shutting down under load.
Have you added a video card to this pc ?

lukepwh

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

Yes the graphics card is a Connect3d x1550.
My psu is 340W

Computer keeps freezing don't know what else to do.. Please help!

Likely a short causing the system to freeze up. Anything from a loose PCI card, RAM, vid card to a bad case fan or case light. Perhaps try unplugging all fans, lights, optical drives, etc. that are not needed to boot the system. Double check all plug ins/connectors to the fans, etc. and reseat the RAM and PCI cards.

grahamie

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

your video card draws approx. 158 watts under load (non-overclocked) that only leaves 182 watts to run the rest of your system. in my opinion that’s not enough and i would look at upgrading to a bigger psu or borrow one to test it out.
Like badge mentioned there is an assortment of things that could cause this issue make sure everything is seated properly and there is nothing lose or damaged.

lukepwh

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

Thank you Very much :)

lukepwh

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

I cloned it from the old hard drive using acronis because i don't have a windows xp disc ;o installed wow on the new hard drive because it wasn't installed on the old one.

The new hard drive is WD Caviar Blue