NAS file server

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: This summer

Budget Range: as low as possible

System Usage from Most to Least Important: File server for home network, and a cloud like storage server

Parts Not Required: I'll buy the harddrives later on when i figure exactly how much i need and how i'll set it up

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, craiglist?

Country of Origin: u s of a

Parts Preferences: nope

Overclocking: n/a

SLI or Crossfire: n/a

Monitor Resolution: none

Additional Comments:
Well i think its self explanitory. I wanna build a super cheap server just for storage of all my files for my home network. I also want to be able to access my files anywhere i go.

I'm not really sure how to approach minimize the amount of money i put into this. I realize that i dont really need good hardware to pull this off, but i've been looking at craiglist used servers and i've seen single core (3.0ghz) blade servers going for $75. The only reason I've been looking at these is because some of them have raid cards, which i plan on using for raid 5 or 10 (havent decided yet).

I would also love to minimize power consumption because i'd like to run this server 24/7 or close to that.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.

If it is strictly for home networking (with only moderate load), you might consider using a cheap PC as your server. e.g. an Asus EEE box is small, inexpensive, uses only 10W or so of power (less than some NAS boxes). Since it's running a full OS (e.g. Windows 7 or Linux) it is extremely easy to configure (via remote desktop for eg), totally secure, has USB ports etc, and has unlimited customization options. Seriously, once you check out the prices of NAS boxes that are anywhere near feature rich as a cheap PC server, it will be hard to look past it.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Thanks, the only concern I have is will the eee be able to handle raid 5 with 4 or so drives? I might be able to get my hands on a cheap p4 with 1 gb of ram. Would something like that be sufficient to handle everything(2 computers accessing files at a time max)?